Tourists Fear Syria Fallout

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Tourists Fear Syria Fallout

Post by memory man »

On Cyprus, Home To UK's Middle East Military Hub, Tourists Fear Syria Fallout

The Foreign Office advice suggests the threat remains low.

The weather may be a balmy 22C in Cyprus as the holiday season kicks off, but residents and tourists on the Mediterranean island have been distracted by a unexpected development: the possibility of military strikes.

With Theresa May reportedly prepared to take action against the Assad regime in Syria, in retaliation for the chemical attack on the town of Douma, there are now fears that Britain’s military airbase in Cyprus could become a target.

Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon, Alexander Zasypkin, yesterday warned that any US missiles fired at Syria would be shot down – and the launch site targeted.

RAF Akrotiri, the UK’s strategic military hub for the Middle East, is currently home to eight cruise missile-armed Tornado fighter bombers and six Typhoon jets, which are likely to be deployed if the government proceeds with military action.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has yet to update official advice to Brits travelling to Cyprus, suggesting that the threat level remains low.

More than 1.2 million Brits visited Cyprus last year, and the island is also home to thousands of ex-pats, including British service personnel and their families stationed in the country.

But with RAF Akrotiri just an hour away from Paphos - one of the island’s top tourist hotspots - travellers are still worried how potential action could affect them.

“Really looking forward to son’s wedding in Cyprus in June #syria #battlezone,” one holidaymaker tweeted alongside an illustration of military forces in the region.

Another visitor, who is currently vacationing on the island, joked he was having an “amazing time”, despite the threat of “WW3″.

A traveller named Lea, who is set to holiday in Paphos, said she was worried her flights would be cancelled. “At the risk of sounding selfish if it all kicks off in Syria I’m hoping it won’t affect me going to Cyprus in June,” she wrote.

Airline pilots flying from the UK to Cyprus were yesterday issued with a “rapid alert” from European aviation authorities warning them to be aware of possible air-to-ground strikes or cruise missiles into Syria “within the next 72 hours”.

Travel providers have attempted to dampen fears, telling customers that safety remains the “first priority” and that they are “monitoring the situation closely”.

A spokesperson from Thomas Cook told HuffPost UK: “None of our customers on holiday are currently affected and our flights are operating as normal.”

Meanwhile, an EasyJet representative added: “The safety and security of its passengers and crew is EasyJet’s highest priority.

“EasyJet always takes its advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, whose advice remains unchanged for travel to Cyprus and our flights to and from Cyprus are unaffected.”

One social media user, named David, made a personal plea to Theresa May online, calling on her to “remember Brits who live in Cyprus”.

“Government action could give Russia and allies an excuse to strike - it would be like striking the UK!”

Meanwhile, one 19-year-old Cypriot student, now living in London, said he was “deeply upset” that Britain’s military action could put Cyprus “in Moscow’s sights”.

The FCO has yet to respond to HuffPost UK’s requests for further comment.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 37adc9f70b
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Tourists Fear Syria Fallout

Post by Dominic »

Scaremongering nonsense.

If WW3 goes up, no place on Earth will be safe anyway. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The war has been going on for years. I can understand people being worried about their flights being cancelled, but can you honestly imagine Russia launching a military attack on Cyprus?

Besides, given that there is absolutely nothing that any of us can do to sway matters, what on Earth is the point of worrying? Worry about things you can change.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just to clarify one thing though. I think the article is scaremongering nonsense, however, it is a news article, and I have no problem whatsoever with Memory Man posting it.:)
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Most of this media-driven scare-mongering and sabre-rattling in the Middle East theatre is all about one thing, IMHO.

Opec and others sowing fake news and mis-information, all designed to try and drive the price of crude oil UP on international spot and futures markets...

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Yes- and Syria's own interests (and Russia's) to continue to destabilize the region in order to try and force oil and gas prices up. This has been going on since the 1970's in the Middle East.

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

If nothing else it gives the '' I was in the army brigade'' an excuse to post more informative posts ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Itisfun wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:40 am Whatever makes people put serious doubts and worries in other peoples minds. The UK bases have been here many years and have been deployed in the Middle East on a number of occassion.
There has never been retaliation so why make others lives unsure. Cyprus is safe a joy to live in and today is a another day to enjoy to the full rather than spreading speculative propaganda.Lets hope that there are no "there is always the first time etc"
The Jeremy Kyle Show viewers might believe this rubbish, I doubt many others will.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Anyone on the island or who contemplates coming and is put off by the Syrian scaremongering needs their head examining.
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am If nothing else it gives the '' I was in the army brigade'' an excuse to post more informative posts ;)

Now, now. Behave yourself or a certain someone will be talking to his mates in the RAF and a loose rocket might find its way over to you. :evil:
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 am
Varky wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am If nothing else it gives the '' I was in the army brigade'' an excuse to post more informative posts ;)
Now, now. Behave yourself or a certain someone will be talking to his mates in the RAF and a loose rocket might find its way over to you. :evil:
You should be aware, Dominic hates the "Chuckle Brothers"
And is that surprising when they resort to passively insulting each other rather than intelligently addressing the subject at hand.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm Would you be kind enough to explain that comment please, I believe my comments, with the exception to your rather silly one quoting the hilarious WHL have been serious....
I think others should be the judge of that....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He's right though, I do hate the Chuckle Brothers.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell,
You really should get over yourself. Just because I don't incessantly post and insist upon having the last word, does not mean I do not have an opinion, it just means that I am more discreet about with whom I share that opinion.
In addition, whilst some of my posts may not be as serious as yours, I was always thought that being able to laugh at oneself was a plus rather than a minus. You should try it one day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How do you treat the situation extremely seriously, anyway?

Does the process involve typing with one hand, with the other arm's elbow on the table, with it's hand propping your chin up, in a sort of "Thinker" pose?

I have tried that in the past but capitals tend to go out the window then.

Or does it involve being determined not to smile? Or frowning at passing children?

Short of buying a few extra tins of baked bins, what other actions would be involved?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Think more Rodins thinker, wearing full dress cocked hat with plumes. :shock:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:48 pm Think more Rodins thinker, wearing full dress cocked hat with plumes. :shock:
Oi! That's a terrible example of not reading my post.

For shame etc.

Though to be fair, I didn't cover the dress sense. :o