MEU3.Is it nessesary??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

MEU3.Is it nessesary??

Post by Chaddy »

What with brexit looming so close,there is much talk about what we should or should not do about completing an MEU3 form.
In our particular case we have been retired here for 15 years,pay our taxes here,Have a residency card(credit card size) valid to October 2020.Mmmm,do we have to do anything :|
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: MEU3.Is it nessesary??

Post by Dominic »

I would in your shoes.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Loubychew

Post by Loubychew »

galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I'm going to wait a bit as quite a few people have made the appointment and would like to see how they get on. Chaddy, am interested you have a residency card until 2020. Do you also have the Yellow Slip? I have a residency card (that is no longer issued to UK Expats) but still applied for a Yellow Slip. Showed the card at Immigration and was told I could use it until it expired, but the Yellow Slip was valid for ever. The card is so much better!
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

galexinda and Austin7,,thanks for your reply's..Yes we have "yellow slips" that is A4 size paper MEU1.They where issued to us in 2010 but there is no expiry date on them.We also have the (credit card size) residency cards 05-49588 which have an expiry date 9/9/2020.
Oh for a quite life in my twilight years,,,thanks again..
josef k

Post by josef k »

I have had a MEU3 for some time. Putting aside the High Commissioner's advice to get one (I still maintain the High Commission is a waste of taxpayer's money), there are some benefits that may apply to you at some time in the future.
Firstly, the MEU1 is just a residency certificate, nothing more. It gives you little in the way of rights. It allows you to reside here beyond 3 months, and to work here (at present). It does not mean you can stay here as long as you want. The Cyprus government can insist you leave whenever they wish (they have to have a valid reason, of course, but not very much of one). The MEU3 gives you the right to permanent residency, and the same rights (in the main, not all) as Cypriots. For example, if you want the full subsidies for photoelectric panels on your roof, you must have a MEU3. The Cyprus government can only expel you if you commit a major crime, for example, and it has to be done through legal process. The old alien identity cards are just that, proof of identity.

Nobody knows what will happen following brexit. Twenty euros for a bit of insurance sounds cheap.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I am not sure at all these new MEU3 that sound like German Bombers ;) are necessary, Although we have made an appointment for June, they said if you come be very patient, not sure I will bother turning up might be dead by then!
Jim.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

We arrived here in August 2007 and on Dec 10th presented ourselves to the Immigration Dept. Paid CY£20 and received the Alien Registration Book with a pink slip stuck in it. Will this do when you join the E.U next month ? Oh yes was the reply .
Two months later we were back at The Immigration Department paying for another form this time yellow.
The MEU3 form is for residents of the EU which we Brits won't be and so this time as I'm probably too old to attempt a bank robbery or similar major crime we will sit this present dance out and see which form in which colour and at what price we receive from The Immigration Dept after Brexit .
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

If you have the opportunity to get an MEU3 then it makes perfect sense to get one?

Shane
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

There is still a bit of confusion regarding the different procedures. First was the alien book with which you got a pink residence permit and an ID card (which lasted for about 10 years). Then the pink residence permit changed to a yellow residence permit which is what I think Mike J has. After joining the EU (actually a year or so after before the system was properly in place), the new MEU1 registration document came into force. Unfortunately, they decided to make the MEU1 also yellow which confused it with the old yellow residence permit. They also abolished ID cards as there were attempts to use them as a formal ID which they were not. They were almost identical to the Cypriot ID cards which are formal ID and can be used to travel abroad which the alien ID's could not be. For many years it was deemed by many of those that had the old documents (alien/pink/yellow residence permit/ID card), not necessary to swop them for a new MEU1 but it has recently been stressed by the BHC that everyone should at least have an MEU1 (which is actually the law to have anyway).

MikeJ, although the MEU3 is for EU Citizens, it will give you permanent resident status which you will then still have once the UK leaves the EU.

For the many that live here without registering, it has not been too much of an issue as proof of an MEU1 is not enforced by government departments, buying a car, using bank accounts, ID for police checks etc. However, I do think this will change once UK citizens are not EU Citizens as the same checks and balances will need to be applied as are presently applied to non EU nationals. That will go for things such as electricity and utility connections, bank accounts etc.

Personally I don't think MEU1 holders will be penalised as there are many working and living here (some with businesses and properties) that haven't yet met the 5 year criteria for an MEU3. I cannot see them being asked to leave the country! For those that do qualify for an MEU3, as others have said before, I don't see what there is to lose by securing permanent residency.

Hopefully, whatever the system, it will be a smooth and easy transition.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

The problem I have with yet another piece of paper is having to produce all documents again. It’s not that we can’t but if you have the MEU 1 why can’t it just be exchanged for the MEU3? For those of us who’ve been here some time we’ve produced the requested documents so many times it’s ridiculous. There are still people living here that never even got the pink slip.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

There'll be different documents you have to provide - those proving you have lived here continuously for 5 years such as utility bills and rental agreements/sales agreements etc. For those interested in applying, the list of documents and the application form (MEU3A) are at the bottom of this article:

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/CRMD/crmd.nsf ... enDocument

Jeanne
kansas

Post by kansas »

We applied for our MEU3 as soon as we were advised to do so by our financial guy and received it in January 2017 after waiting only 3 months for it to be processed. We asked our village Mukhtar to write a letter on our behalf stating that we had been full time residents in the village for 13 years. Yes, we had to provide a lot of information and pay €20 but it does make us feel that little more secure. So, for us, it makes a lot of sense.

However, If you're of a mind to get an MEU3 it might be advisable to start the ball rolling soon just in case there's a last minute rush.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Agree with you Cactuslil as I have lived here for many years and started off with the Alien Book! Appreciate there is the need to produce actual evidence of living here as there are so many holiday homes and other properties that have overseas owners and are rented out.
Galini

Post by Galini »

Thank you Lofos-Jan for the link to the government web document.

I feel much happier reading it for myself as it is published :)

(it's a shame these documents can't have a few more line spaces in to make them more easily readable of course but cut and paste into something else will work :lol: )
darrow

Post by darrow »

I can see the advantage of MEU3 and aplying for citizenship. I do not keep utility bills for that length of time. Do they actually want 60 months of bills or just some of them dating back that far? As Cactus lil says, we had to go through all that rigmarole to get the MEU1 in the first place! Also does it affect the tax situation whereby at the moment we are exempt from SDC being here under 17 years. All these qquestions need answering, because I hear that different people are being told different things.I think I will wait until BHC have met with the Ministry of the Interior and ironed out the irregularities that seem to be occurring.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I wouldn't rely on the BHC for anything. The new process, whatever it will be, will be established by the EU and Cyprus will have to implement it the same as other EU countries.
Having a MEU1 or MEU3 doesn't affect SDC.
The utilities will provide summary statements covering 5 years on request. There was no charge when I did it. The banks will provide a full set of statements, but will charge.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Thanks to everyone for your help.So I have decided in my wisdom to be on the safe side and apply for a MEU3.How ever I can,t for the life in me find one on line to down load,,,,any help in where I can find on please.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

You could get one from Immigration when you get your appointment
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The form and instructions are on the link I gave above. Here's a direct link: http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/CRMD/crmd.nsf ... 20MEU3.doc

Jeanne