Retirement in Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Re: Retirement in Paphos

Post by JimX »

Welcome to Cyprus, now you know. You do get used to it after a few years. ;)
Jim.
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

Allesley wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 am Welcome to Cyprus, now you know. You do get used to it after a few years. ;)
Cheers mate ..........happy as a pig in pooh with my earplugs :)
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Have you picked up a copy of the Paphos Post, the monthly paper free at supermarkets. It has a property section.

Also our local supermarket sometimes has ads for rentals in their window, so worth keeping an eye open when you are touring around.

Always give our guests earplugs, no barking dogs or cockerels around us but the pigeons are a bit vocal first thing. You do eventually tune them out and most afternoons are quiet and all I can hear are the songbirds, which is lovely.
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

Cheers Lazy.....I will look out for it BR :)
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Thought Paphos Post was out end of 3rd week each month, I picked up the April edition last Friday. It does say inside the paper free copies are usually gone by second week of the month and after that can be bought at kiosks for 70c.
I normally pick ours up from either Paps or Alphamega but this time I saw them in the Beauty Shop opposite Evangelismos Hospital.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Check for rentals at nearby kafenion, local kiosks and generally ask around....

We found ours advertised in the Cyprus Weekly as our landlord wanted an English tenant because apparently, as he told our Cypriot friend that the Cypriot people want to stay too long. He probably wasn't banking on us staying in the same property for 12 years but we had absolutely no problems with him during our whole time there. He was a lovely guy (Lefteris aka Larry).

There's also another paper (a Greek one) which translated to Golden Opportunities (look out for something like this χρυσές ευκαιρίες). Helps though if you can read and understand a bit of Greek ;-)

Hard to believe there aren't any rentals floating around though....

Have a drive around and look for signs similar to this "ενοικιάζομαι"
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

PL......cheers...thank you so much for the nice post .......i'm here alone waiting for my wonderful wife to arrive.......I can't make a decision without her!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I did!

I went for a week to Cyprus to find our rental without my husband. Found it on the 3rd day and he didn't see it, except in photos, until we moved in 2 months later.

We were in the same property for the whole of our 12yrs in Cyprus 🤣
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

well done .....you.......as I said I'm seriously missing my wonderful partner
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

What's the worst that can happen if you make a decision now without her, except that perhaps you're in a place you may not be entirely happy with for a while?

I worked in an office with more than 100 staff for the last 7yrs of our time in Cyprus and very few of them stayed more than 12 months in their rentals. Out of friends we met after we arrived, they all ended up moving too... We were just very lucky, I guess.

You have internet? Take video, photos and Skype/WhatsApp her so she can see what you're looking at :-)
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:49 pm What's the worst that can happen if you make a decision now without her, except that perhaps you're in a place you may not be entirely happy with for a while?
Yep, Jules is a girl after my own heart . . . . .And she's got it right. I've been there and got the T-shirt. In Cyprus, that's the way to go.

All the best.

Maggie B
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

cheers ladies.......I know what you mean but sharing is everything .......sorry to be a boring old tart:)
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

So ...have been here for a week .....and saw my first property today ....it was in Peyia ......up the hill through the village .....looks nice .....but my wife saw the pics and had some concerns .....she told me to stop impersonating a flamingo ...........I'll have to put my foot down ......maybe we'll take it......I know everything is closed over the weekend but will probably rent a car and go further afield .....:)
retire2paphos

Post by retire2paphos »

I don't know whether or not you have seen the newest thread namely, Retirement villages and care homes in Paphos, but they have their eye on a nice complex nr Paphos called Thalassa View Gardens which may be up your street for peace and quiet.
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

cheers R2P ....thank you so much :)
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

R2P ....any chance of a link please ?
retire2paphos

Post by retire2paphos »

TVG have a facebook page called Thalassa View Gardens, Chlorakas
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

Cheers......it's like thump thump in Phapos......thank god for ear plugs .....maybe we should stay at home ......just joking ....sorry guys!
retire2paphos

Post by retire2paphos »

Further to my research, I would like to hear from anyone who would consider a property on the Thalassa View Gardens development nr Coral Bay if we can convince the investors that this would make for a wonderful sheltered/assisted living complex, your why's and why not's or would one prefer to consider the conversion of the old silk factory east of Paphos into a purpose built retirement village. Personally, as I have visited both, I think they would both be suitable but with more emphasis in my opinion on the old silk factory being converted, as its nearer to all amenities which is crucial. Of course, TVG is almost ready to go.
Quiet-life!

Post by Quiet-life! »

Hi all....firstly I would like to thank all of you for your excellent guidance throughout this thread . After a long and arduous but enjoyable search we have have found a great place and are just finalizing the contract . So a few more questions please.
I know there is an Ikea in Nicosia but it is a bit of a trek ....are there any good home goods places in Paphos?
I will need lots of mossie protection in the summer so where to stock up on mossie nets , zappers et al?
Do any of the pet owners on here know who stocks Hills prescription diet pet food?
How is Amazon service in the area?
Thanking you in anticipation :)