Another shooting in the USA

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Ramone

Re: Another shooting in the USA

Post by Ramone »

I had an interesting conversation with an American colleague this morning.
When I asked about what he thought about an increased gun control laws in the states, he replied that "nobody was going to take his guns off him no matter what"! ( He admits having several hand guns & rifles & is very proud of the fact).
This is the answer from an educated & professional guy with family ETC.
I think this is the mind set of a large majority of Americans. If so, it looks like the mass murders are here to stay.
Sad really !!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is sad, because unless you carry your gun with you at all times, then it provides no protection.
Maybe people will go back to wearing guns in holsters like they did in the Wild West..
Trev..
outasite

Post by outasite »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 am It is sad, because unless you carry your gun with you at all times, then it provides no protection.
Maybe people will go back to wearing guns in holsters like they did in the Wild West..
That and the eras before then is the reason for the right to bear arms, as stated in their constitution. This does not apply in the 21st century nor indeed did it in the 20th century. But as long as there is an NRA holding the purse strings of many politicians they will be able to buy guns and rifles over the counter mainly on ptoduction of an ID. And I bbelieve some States allow the wearing of guns already.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

This is a video from 2015, makes people think before buying guns, hopefully.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ive spent quite a long time in the States ..We have family there and theres hardly a state we havent visited...unless you spend time with Americans you will never understand their thinking....to a lot of them its the good guy wearing the White hat the bad guy wears the black hat..good verses bad.....simply to them they have a God given right to have weapons, unfortunately it will never change .the gun lobby is very powerful, its a multi billion dollar industry, its in the constitution, and its in their DNA.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 am It is sad, because unless you carry your gun with you at all times, then it provides no protection.
Already happening....there are 45 states that allow you to carry arms, open and hidden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carr ... ted_States
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Like I said, Sad really !!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

My brother moved to Florida with work some years ago. Since he was in a senior position, he was advised too get a handgun “in case a disgruntled employee came at him with one”

He declined....
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

So when does a guy become a lunatic .......... before or after he owns a gun? :roll:

Shane
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm It has been said before...its not the guns...is the person that fires the gun, and that is not a glib remark, it is fact....I honestly have no issue with the right to bear arms but that right comes with responsibility and you should be prepared and by law, be prepared to demonstrate you are responsible to carry a weapon. And that is where the States is failing...the checks and balances are simply not sufficient or in place to prevent these lunatics from obtaining guns...and using them.
Sorry but that's too simplistic. If the person didn't have a gun he couldn't use it. So you have no issue with the right to bear arms. This takes no account of human nature and shortcomings. If everyone was as responsible as you maybe there would be no problem but you have made a massive assumption there. The fact is there are many out there that cannot be described as responsible and it is those that are creating the problem. But who protects the innocents. I suppose you are one of those who would advocate that teachers, cinema managers etc. should be armed as a preventative measure, but they wouldn't have prevented the nutter in Las Vegas killing all those people from his hotel bedroom window.
I think Trump has got it right when he wants to build a wall :twisted: . To keep all those stupid Americans in. If they want to travel outside of the wall they should apply for visas to the countries they want to visit and prove they are not stupid.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 pm if a person is unfit to be deemed responsible then don't allow them to bear arms...it seems this latest lunatic was known to the authorities....he should have been stopped.
In that case 90% of the population of the USA would be barred from carrying guns. But surely it would be easier just to ban guns. Don't hide behind the circumstances of the latest atrocity to use as a justification that all such criminal acts as this can be prevented beforehand, when it is obviously not the case.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

The problem is that the U.S. is full of guns & has more than its fair share of lunatics.
Its a far easier option to control the guns than find & control the lunatics.
A lot of murders in the U.S. are spur of the moment killings that would not of happened if the person was not carrying or had access to a gun.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Unfortunately if a nutter wants to kill innocents then they dont need a gun.....just getting into their car and driving into a crowd of people will sadly do the job.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think it’s Automatic weapons that the US needs to address first. You can buy a semi-automatic the same as the shooters in most killings use, for $1000

What justification is there for ANYONE to have one of these?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ive been to gun shops in the states, with my American family, the shops all have gun ranges in the back, you can take your own gun or use the shops weapons and just pay for the rounds you use, ive fired everything from an Israeli Uzi to a Dirty Harry make my day Magnum..great fun but very noisy....there are also many automatic rifles for sale some so big they could stop a car let alone a person...off cause theres no need for them...but we can talk about it to the cows come home, but the Yanks will never surrender their right to carry arms.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pmExactly.
It is enshrined in their culture, just like hunting is here.
Time to move on to another topic I think, nothing we say will alter it.
Amos.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

exodus, I agree. You move onto another topic.