Now remind me, where will the new trade deals be signed, post-Brexit?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Ramone

Re: Now remind me, where will the new trade deals be signed, post-Brexit?

Post by Ramone »

Another of what they call "good journalism" these days.
Eye catching headlines but when you read into it, you can take what you want out of it no matter which side you support.
Oh, & by the way I really don't care what the UK does as I for one will never be going back to live there.
Just my opinion !
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The two things I got out of that article were:

1. US want trade negotiations to be done in secret.
2. Independent trade deals cannot be entered into until after UK has left the EU.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

As long as we are in the EU we cannot enter into and activate unilateral agreements, but that doesn't necessarily mean that negotiations cannot take place before we leave with agreements coming into effect the day after we leave. If the EU says that we cannot even discuss such agreements before leaving, tell them to shove it. They want to discuss such agreements before we leave, so why not other countries?
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 am
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 amThe two things I got out of that article were:
..... if no trade deals are in place when the UK departs the EU in around 14 months, what then?
WTO rules, which would be equally as bad for the EU as the UK, for trade between them.