Clean Up Paphos!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Clean Up Paphos!

Post by Dominic »

Rubbish has long been an issue in the region of Paphos. While fly-tipping no longer occurs on every hillside corner, it is still a big problem. In the last few years however, a number of Green Points have been set up throughout Paphos. The only trouble is, very few people seem to know about them. So we decided to track them all down, and show you what to expect when you visit. If you want the rubbish situation in Paphos to improve, it is in your own interests to use these places. We appreciate that a tour of recycling points won't make scintilating viewing, so we took the scenic route to bring you some pictures of the countryside too...

Read the article and chat about it below...

clean_up_paphos_14.jpg
clean_up_paphos_14.jpg (171.18 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Re: Clean Up Paphos!

Post by JimX »

I said and posted the same with photos many years ago, in the vain hope the Cypriot Authorities would do something abbot it, alas they haven't, only some beach areas and mid town is ever cleaned, great shame on Paphos it must cost the tourists industry here.
Attachments
local waste.jpg
local waste.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
Last edited by JimX on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The Cypriot authorities are doing something about it though. They are introducing these green points. We, as concerned citizens can do our bit, by actually using these Green Points. That is the purpose of this blog, to make people aware of them.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Thank you very much, Dominic for this great blog. It is not only nice to watch the lovely photos from our Paphos countryside but also very informative.
Many people will use these recycling places if they know WHERE to go, specially for large items like old white ware or furniture. For plastic,
paper or glass there are plenty of so called Green Dot collection points. Some of them are kept very tidy, for example the one in Armou village where I always drive the 5 km to dispose of my old plastic, glass, tins, paper every two weeks. And is is amazing how much a single person household produces.

Just one comment about the "Giant Fennel Flower" you call it. It is the flower of an type of Agava which comes up ca every 7-8 years before the plant dies down. I had one in the past and the flower was reaching the electric lines, which are 6 m high above the ground...

Max
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Good blog Dominic, the more people know about these sites the better!

Regarding the bird box you came across, the birds that will use these are Owls (Barn, Little, Scops & Long-eared ones) & Common Kestrels.

Shane
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thanks for a very informative blog. Herewith a picture of a wild fennel.

Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

And underneath this fennels are growing the most delicious mushrooms we have in Cyprus, called: Vanuga (oyster mushrooms)

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have modified the blog to say what the flower actually was. Happy to be corrected. :)
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

A very interesting and informative blog Dominic
A very Happy Christmas to you and your family
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 am Thank you very much, Dominic for this great blog. It is not only nice to watch the lovely photos from our Paphos countryside but also very informative.
Many people will use these recycling places if they know WHERE to go, specially for large items like old white ware or furniture. For plastic,
paper or glass there are plenty of so called Green Dot collection points. Some of them are kept very tidy, for example the one in Armou village where I always drive the 5 km to dispose of my old plastic, glass, tins, paper every two weeks. And is is amazing how much a single person household produces.

Just one comment about the "Giant Fennel Flower" you call it. It is the flower of an type of Agava which comes up ca every 7-8 years before the plant dies down. I had one in the past and the flower was reaching the electric lines, which are 6 m high above the ground...

Max
Green Dot is a new one on me. I will have to see if I can find out more and where the nearest one is to me. I will need somewhere for plastic in particular - I hate the stuff, but it's on everything you buy!