Title deeds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Title deeds

Post by Dominic »

Happy to have you on board, Ginahill, and thank you for the informative post. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ginahill

Post by Ginahill »

Apologies don't know how to send members personal messages yet SO
* Austin7 - yes the solicitor was executor of the will - I forgot to mention that our son & daughter had documents to sign stating they were willing to sign over 25% each share (according to Cypriot inheritance law) of their father's 50% to me!
*Trevhil & Lincoln thanks wasn't sure whether to post or not!
* SALLYMAY Please private message me if you think I could answer any further questions for you or just give you support as this has been a lonely, sad journey at times!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ginahill, you need to make 4 posts before you can send and receive private messages. Nothing personal, it is a forum software rule to prevent spammers sending PMs. So just respond here twice more and you will be able to send PMs.

Also, if you are replying to one person only, you can click on the double quotes icon above their post, That will create a new post for you including their post as a quotation. However, your method was equally effective, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry about your loss, too. Feel free to gas on here to your heart's content. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
SALLYMAY

Post by SALLYMAY »

I have just picked this up and have to say that I think my solicitor has been extremely high handed. She certainly led me to believe I had no choice in the matter and it was Cyprus law. When I asked for a breakdown of costs I was given that ridiculous mathematical formula.. I am definitely challenging the amount asked for. Thanks for support and advice.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Moving away slightly from the subject of title deeds and more onto wills, we were told by the solicitors who drew up our Cypriot wills that we shouldn't name them as executors as they are obliged to charge a ridiculously high fee to administer an estate based on a per-centage of the estate value (something to do with their law society rules). They advised us just to leave a note with the wills asking the appointed executors to contact them to scope any potential work and to agree an appropriate fee before being appointed.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

This is just one example of why I'm grateful to now live in the UK. Title Deeds and wills are a nightmare in Cyprus.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Title Deeds can be held up indefinitely, it seems at the whim of the developer. My neighbour is still waiting for his after fifteen years.

Making a will is no problem, but just re-read the posts on this thread to show the problems involved with probate and executors.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Ginahill

Post by Ginahill »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:20 am With the information now widely available on forums like PL and formerly CL the issuance of Title Deeds is by and large not the issue it once was...though some will inevitably still be trapped in the system.

And why should making a Will be a 'nightmare in Cyprus''? Written correctly by a competent lawyer conversant with both Cypriot and UK law, and by not naming a lawyer as an executor of your Will - why would you anyway - writing a Will in Cyprus is no different to writing one in the UK, or any other European country.
If that is a dig at me so be it but we never had chance to change our executor due to my husband's illness!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I doubt that HIC was having a dig at you Ginahill as it is not in his nature to have a dig at someone who has suffered misfortune only when it gets to talk of BREXIT can he be seen to be blinkered!!! However I have to say that we are struggling at the moment as we need to make new wills in the UK but we have no children or close relatives so I keep putting it off trying to think who might be an executor for us - must start considering various charities I think so HIC it is not always easy or straightforward for people like us!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Poppy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:38 pm ...However I have to say that we are struggling at the moment as we need to make new wills in the UK but we have no children or close relatives so I keep putting it off trying to think who might be an executor for us - must start considering various charities I think so HIC it is not always easy or straightforward for people like us!
Some honest and simple advice for the new UK Wills for both of you, Poppy...

Your new Will has your hubby as your Executor. His new Will has you as his Executor. That's the main part taken care of. You say you have no children nor close relatives. But do you have one or more distant blood or part blood relatives who you would like to share your estate with when both of you have passed away (your main worry, I suspect)?

If so, consider making him / her / them co-Executors too. Try to avoid making your UK Bank, Solicitor, Charity an Executor of your Wills. They all rip your estate off BIG time!

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Al I am hoping there will not be much left!! Whatever there may be then it will all go to Charity - much better than leaving it to a distant relative you hardly know. We also worry what might happen to our two dogs should we both go before them so first and foremost we need to ensure they would be looked after!
Last edited by Poppy on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginahill

Post by Ginahill »

Poppy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:38 pm I doubt that HIC was having a dig at you Ginahill as it is not in his nature to have a dig at someone who has suffered misfortune only when it gets to talk of BREXIT can he be seen to be blinkered!!! However I have to say that we are struggling at the moment as we need to make new wills in the UK but we have no children or close relatives so I keep putting it off trying to think who might be an executor for us - must start considering various charities I think so HIC it is not always easy or straightforward for people like us!
Thanks Poppy but as the only member on this thread in response to direct question from Austin7 'admitted' our solicitor was executor his comment re 'why would you' looked like it was directed at me! We all live through different circumstances & I have no regrets. Hope you get sorted & I accept Happy in Cyprus perhaps had not read back through comments so apologies to him. Still haven't sent a private message yet but will have a little try in 2018!