So, what of the £350 million a week for the NHS?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
exodus

Re: So, what of the £350 million a week for the NHS?

Post by exodus »

Lloyd. Brexit and all the bickering on here about it is getting boring. Both sides have adequately expressed their respective views, so why keep on repeating yourself/s?? We have all got the messages.
What will be will be!
Change of subject due - how about the possibility of Saudi Arabia <> Lebanon war escalating into a full scale Middle/Near East war
affecting oil supplies, threatening the integrity of Israel, and allowing ISIS/Hesbollah etc to regroup?
I see in today's CM that Cyprus has activated its contingency plan to accommodate any peoples evacuated from the Lebanon if hostilities escalate.
This likely to affect us in Cyprus big-time, which is more than Brexit will.
Amos.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The sign on the bus said that we send £350 million a week to the EU. Which is true. It did not go on to say that we get about £175 million of that back in discount. The sign then said let's fund the NHS. This was a misrepresentation in that people could draw the conclusion that there would be £350 million a week extra for the NHS. Anyone with a brain cell would know beforehand that this was a ruse that all politicians take and that before believing anything any politician says they should read exactly what is said and not take the next step and make assumptions.

What exodus says about all this getting boring is correct. The whole matter is getting fogged by everyone and his dog, both in the UK and Europe (and Cyprus), having their say on what Brexit should look like. A matter of such importance should have been dealt with by a cross party committee of the Commons and so we would not have had political parties and factions trying to make profit from any perceived problems now being mentioned. Our politicians are letting us down.
holitec

Post by holitec »

£350 million per week is a drop in the ocean! It does not include the 7.2 Billion per year from the common external tariff. Ok, once the UK leaves, and Liam Fox gives it away in free trade deals, then the extra 7.2M will not appear.

I have worked in the past with NHS trusts, and believe me they could easily save loads with a little good management.

A good start would be to claim the monies due on EHIC cards, they never asked for mine from Cyprus a couple of years ago when I had to visit a hospital - Cyprus should have paid for my treatment, but no one asked, neither did the receptionist ask the other 10 or so EU citizens in A&E when I was there.

Digby
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

exodus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:40 am Lloyd. Brexit and all the bickering on here about it is getting boring. Both sides have adequately expressed their respective views, so why keep on repeating yourself/s?? We have all got the messages.
What will be will be!
Change of subject due - how about the possibility of Saudi Arabia <> Lebanon war escalating into a full scale Middle/Near East war
affecting oil supplies, threatening the integrity of Israel, and allowing ISIS/Hesbollah etc to regroup?
I see in today's CM that Cyprus has activated its contingency plan to accommodate any peoples evacuated from the Lebanon if hostilities escalate.
This likely to affect us in Cyprus big-time, which is more than Brexit will.
Amos.
As Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see". Why don't YOU start a thread about something? Anything other than Brexit would be welcome. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

To be honest the whole Brexit thing is becoming tedious. I will never accept that the UK should pay anymore than we are committed to do, to escape the clutches of the EU. I had thought that Mrs May might be another Mrs. Thatcher, but I'm afraid she comes over as weak to me, probably to Merkel and tribe too, hence the demand for more money. This is our money she is giving away, and we need it here, especially the NHS.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 am
exodus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:40 amLloyd. Brexit and all the bickering on here about it is getting boring. Both sides have adequately expressed their respective views, so why keep on repeating yourself/s?? We have all got the messages.

Answer's simple Amos: don't read threads with the work 'Brexit' in them, though past evidence suggests you read these threads avidly :lol:

Alternatively, mark me as a foe in Settings, then you won't have to read my boring and repetitive posts ;)

exodus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:40 amChange of subject due - how about the possibility of Saudi Arabia <> Lebanon war escalating into a full scale Middle/Near East war affecting oil supplies, threatening the integrity of Israel, and allowing ISIS/Hesbollah etc to regroup?
I see in today's CM that Cyprus has activated its contingency plan to accommodate any peoples evacuated from the Lebanon if hostilities escalate. This likely to affect us in Cyprus big-time, which is more than Brexit will. Amos.

Brexit - if it goes through - will affect all Brits; not just those living in the UK, but those residing throughout Europe. Brexiteers take a blinkered view on the potential negative ramifications and prefer to believe the UK and it's citizens will live in a land of milk and honey after the big day. While events in the Middle East cause concern from time to time, we are not part of the political/ethnic/religeous divide which has existed in the Middle East since the year dot...and will probably still be there in 2,000 years time.

I believe you over-estimate the effect such turmoil will have on Cyprus. Cyprus has in the past shown itself perfectly capable of managing it's intake of refugees from other countries, while being gently supportive of them. The country manages it's borders well and does not allow itself to be over-run with peoples from other countries. Our status as an island helps us in this regard.
I read all threads avidly, whether about Brexit or anything else.
Amos.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hudswell

How true, give them more money and they appoint another Manager :roll: What we need is Matron to be brought back, and Managers moved on.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Lloyd - just a little hint. Has it ever occurred to you that those of us who are now silent on here have found somewhere else where we can debate sensibly,listening to various views without the need for insults and arrogance?
It is refreshing and whilst I doubt that anyone has changed their mind re BREXIT, their views are considered and debated sensibly and maturely. ;)
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Nice to see that the Irish are now in the driving seat of Englands destiny, makes a change.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Time Mrs May just said thanks its been nice knowing you and left, a hard Brexit if necessary. The Pension pots of the EU gravy train will feel it soon enough.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Poppy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am Lloyd - just a little hint. Has it ever occurred to you that those of us who are now silent on here have found somewhere else where we can debate sensibly,listening to various views without the need for insults and arrogance?
It is refreshing and whilst I doubt that anyone has changed their mind re BREXIT, their views are considered and debated sensibly and maturely. ;)
I agree. It became boring responding to Lloyd's interminable droning on about how, in the near future, he would be proved right. (However, in the long term I am convinced Brexit was the right way). So I prefer to do something more productive, like watching the grass grow.
I hope he communicates with his friends in a more amenable manner otherwise his friends will soon be disappearing with the boredom of his conversation.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In fairness to HiC, the Brexit row was a two-way street. There was plenty of OTT rudeness flying in both directions. This was why I set up the Politics for Moderates section.

But should we expect anything better? Look at the example the the politicians set us all. How many of them earn the title "Honourable"?

Personally, I think the problem is that politics is now a bit stagnant. People talk about the same things because that's pretty much all there is to talk about, politically. Brexit, for good or bad, still dominates everything politically in the UK. People on one side discuss it with people on the other, again and again. Naturally, the voices get louder over time, just as they do in any other discussion where the same points get aired over and over again.

Familiarity breads contempt, and all that.

I don't know of any solution, other than a time machine. Both sides blame the other for OTT rudeness. In truth, both sides are to blame.

I for one though, will be very very happy when it is all other. I voted remain, yet I hope that the UK do well after Brexit. I don't think they will flounder. Plenty of countries out there aren't in the EU yet do very well. There was encouraging news about biotech investment in the UK today. Actually, I will tell you what, that deserves it's own thread. Why should good news be tucked away here?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I voted to stay, a remainer, recent developments have changed my view.

Lloyd, are you related to Junker? You have his demeanour.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I saw this just now and it made me laugh.

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Isn't Heinz an American company? :?

Shane
outasite

Post by outasite »

Your beloved EU has shown to me that it is run by a bunch of thieves. The UK owes the EU only what was agreed in 2013, but as your EU realises the huge hole it will see in its (non existent) accounts which it will not be able to claw back from most if not all of the member states, when the UK finally leaves, it resorts to the most reprehensible bullying, much like the theft of private bank accounts in Cyprus and I really hope it disappears into the mire of lies that it was built on.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I don't feel any loyalty towards the EU as a hierarchical entity. I do think Brexit is a mistake for the reasons Lloyd has said. And more.

GDP has been seriously affected. The UKs forecast for growth over the next 4 years is around half the Eurozone.

Johnson, despite warnings from the ONS, continues to lie about the £350m a week. He has been told that the true figure has been around half and that the UK has never paid that £350m a week around, or equivalent, to the EU, therefore he should desist.

This week, Johnson recreated the figures in parliament. A breaching of ministerial code. By rights, May should sack him for continual lying as a minister.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

“The Irish Question” - used to be a continual part of parliamentary debate....

It may now scupper any chance of a negotiated Brexit. You cant blame the Irish. They are protecting the free movement they have enjoyed and should be entitled to.

We now have Ian Paisley Jr spouting in typical DUP fashion, threatening to withdraw DUP support if the Irish Sea becomes a border. Moves are afoot to discuss NI remaining in the single market, while still being part of the UK - as a separated negotiated part. That is causing the DUP to to see no further than their own bigoted views.

There is no easy answer. If there is to be a soft border, like between Norway and Sweden, then NI has to be a signagtory to the market like Norway.

However, the DUP see it as loosening their grip (which is disappearing anyway)

Channel 4 did a short video this week and posted it on Twitter (I cant see how to post twitter videos on here)

You can access it here..... http://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-ireland ... tter_short

Some of the comments are horrendous. (Below the video) and the lady with the red Beenie is a typical old-school Brit with her views towards Ireland