Moving to paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Re: Moving to paphos

Post by Firefly »

Oh dear, mention something that might work for someone, and here we go again. My Daughter and SIL moved to Cyprus, they started their own business LEGALLY, they were also making a good go of it, then when road works that went on and on, left their shop virtually without access, their business went down the pan.

Why would I suggest anything illegal is too ridiculous to contemplate, MOH was a police officer for over thirty years, our family don't do 'illegal'.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Thanks once again to all your advise
I hope to come through the divorce with a lump sum of around £100k and was planning to buy an apartment for around £75k and have £25k left over. I think if I'm careful that amount may last me 2 years so at some point I would need to work I'm 43 years old and open to any type of work.
I do like the idea of an extended holiday for say 3 months to seek out information on all sorts of things.
My other idea would be to rent an apartment long term and live on my £100k maybe last 8 years ? Would it be difficult to be allowed to stay on that basis ?
memory man

Post by memory man »

I'm almost sure that the criteria is how much income you
receive, not how much funds you have.

Maybe someone will confirm or tell me I'm wrong.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I would think long and hard before moving to Cyprus without any income or employment life here can be very hard unless you have an income as it’s not cheap living anymore.......employment is hard to come by unless you have a trade or able to speak Greek.
If you are now employed in the UK why not take an extended holiday out of season to see what Paphos has to offer, also flights apartments and car hire are cheaper then .......take time to look around before making any decisions ........
June

Post by June »

I've been thinking about this for myself.
Am I right in thinking I could rent somewhere but every 80 days or so I could dot off to Malta/Athens or wherever for a week or two, return and still not have to register?
If so, might be a thought for you Keith, give it 6 months or so just to find out if it's for you?
WHL

Post by WHL »

June wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 pm I've been thinking about this for myself.
Am I right in thinking I could rent somewhere but every 80 days or so I could dot off to Malta/Athens or wherever for a week or two, return and still not have to register?
If so, might be a thought for you Keith, give it 6 months or so just to find out if it's for you?
After Brexit I dont think you will be able to dot off anywhere?
June

Post by June »

Prior to joining the EU that's what people did WHL.
I just wanted to know that this was still possible.
WHL

Post by WHL »

June wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 pm Prior to joining the EU that's what people did WHL.
I just wanted to know that this was still possible.
Good luck with that one.... when Brexit kicks in, you will be treated the same as Russians/ Sri Lankans/ etc etc...I dont think they can come here for 80 days then dot off for a week and come back again, as I said good luck with that one,
Last edited by WHL on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:15 pm If I was your age, and I was a long time ago ;) , I wouldn't relish the thought of using up all my assets as living expenses.
Excellent advice for you there, Zak. Think deep and hard here. You don't say in your OP what skills you possess at age 43. I was always lead to believe that once past 40 in the UK, you became unemployable. Unless you fancied pushing a train of trolleys around a supermarket carpark.

Not being nosy nor intrusive here, but would your current setup give you acommodation, a job, and a reasonable standard of living in UK? Enough to afford a nice holiday (Mercury Direct come highly recommended) once or twice a year? Gives you a chance to have a good look around, and find the place you really want to call home, when you eventually retire...

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

If I was you Zak I would take time out in life and have a months break in Paphos and get to know the area. Hope things work out in life for you mate.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Buy a small flat in the UK, rent it out and use that income for your own rent in Cyprus, if things don't pan out you will always have a home to go to in the UK.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Many thanks for all your information
I currently am a train driver with a fair living in the U.K. But don't have any or their skills of such.
I do like the idea of buying a small place in the uk and using the rent for rent in Cyprus
Iam possibly leaning to staying on at work until I'm 50 then retire and spend 3 months of the year in Cyprus depending on how much my pension a year is. Hopefully be around £15k a year would I be able to have a fair standard of living with that amount ? If I chose to come over full time ?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Property in Cyprus still is behind prices in 2007. No indications that it will return even to those levels anytime soon. Prior to 2007, it was doubling every 5 years. I’d not be confident that an investment in property in anywhere just now, was the ‘bricks and mortar’ safe investment of pre-2007 (except maybe London and some other places) - bubbles of growth. Even then, post Brexit and shortages of low-paid workers for the capital, could sent property prices there into decline.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm Property in Cyprus still is behind prices in 2007. No indications that it will return even to those levels anytime soon. Prior to 2007, it was doubling every 5 years. I’d not be confident that an investment in property in anywhere just now, was the ‘bricks and mortar’ safe investment of pre-2007 (except maybe London and some other places) - bubbles of growth. Even then, post Brexit and shortages of low-paid workers for the capital, could sent property prices there into decline.
I was talking to a Limassol based developer, who had quite a few unsold property's around Limassol , when the financial crises hit, he told me he has rented them all out mainly to wealthy Russians on 6 monthly and one year lets at a very good rent...in fact he tells me the market in Limassol is so strong now, that they are commencing building new houses and apartments....so for Limassol it looks like prices are on the up.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its all to do with supply and demand, and it looks like Limassol is the town in demand right now.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

As a train driver in the UK, Zak, at what age do they enforce retirement on you, may I ask please?

It's a shame that you wouldn't be able to get a train driver job in Cyprus, as they don't have railways there. A major failing in the pre-1960 British colonial regime, IMHO, by not having installed a railway infrastucture connecting Polis, Paphos, Pissouri, Limassol, Larnaca, Nicosia, Famagusta, Kyrenia in a loop...

AL :?
Last edited by PaphosAL on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of call for train drivers in Cyprus.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:05 pm Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of call for train drivers in Cyprus.
Not quite true Dominic, ive seen the little kiddy choo choo trains chugging through many towns in Cyprus :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Zak,
There are no trains in Cyprus, so no need for your professional skills here.Your idea of staying in the UK working until you retire is the best one. As others have said it may be best for you to come out for holidays to Paphos, out of the main holiday season. Then prices, air tickets, hotels or renting a holiday apartment will all be cheaper. As will car hire. You definitely need a regular incone or pension in order to live here comfortably. You can stay for up to 3 months at a time while the UK is a member of the EU. To stay longer than that you need to go to see the Imigration Dept to register.
Dee
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Hi I just love I've found this forum so much information on Paphos life it's great
In answer to your question the is no forced retirement age for train drivers at present as long as you can pass the medical every year over the age of 60.
My plan would be to retire at 50 losing a chunk of my pension by taking it early but I hope it would allow for a reasonable lifestyle
I know Paphos gets colder and quieter in the winter but this maybe the time I would come for 3 months maybe January to April
I keep reading about brexit and I'm not sure it will ever happen and if it does I'm sure the free movement of people will reamain
I'm coming for a week on Saturday with my son am hiring a scooter and am hoping to have a look around at various areas
I love Leon beer and karaoke so will probably be in bars in the tomb of the kings area as I'm staying nearby if you see me I will buy you a beer or a cocktail. Ladies are especially welcome