Lenovo Screen

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Lenovo Screen

Post by Firefly »

Does anyone else have a Lenovo laptop ? I don't like to leave my computer plugged in if the battery strength is ok, but I find the screen to dim without, does anyone else have this problem and what do you do to save the life of the battery ?

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Re: Lenovo Screen

Post by trevnhil »

On my Lenovo you can change the screen brightness both when plugged in, or when just on the battery.
In both cases dimming the screen is F11 and brightening it is F12 on the top row of keys..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for that Trevor, I'll give it a go now.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Brilliant, thanks, it worked for me.

Jackie
J B

Post by J B »

The 'man that knows' (?) told me that I should leave the charger plugged in.

He said that a battery has the capacity to be drained and re-charged X000 times, so if you don't go through that discharge/recharge cycle too often, then the battery will have a longer life.

:?
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Oh no, just the opposite of what I was told, help ! :o

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

For what is is worth.... I was told to allow the battery to fully discharge around once a week...
This Lenovo has no accessible battery, so when it does need replacing it will be a computer shop job...
If they can get one :-)
It does last around 3 hrs with heavy usage manipulating pictures.. But for 90% of the day it is on mains plugged in. It is normally on from 7am to 11pm
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:46 pm My understanding is that it's better to charge and then fully deplete a battery, rather than leave it on permanent top-up. Something to do with the battery's memory-retention.
I *think* that applied to older batteries whereas newer types don't have such a good memory! :D
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Why do you need a battery and mains ? Silly question to some maybe, but my old Bush transistor radio used one or the other, not both.

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Battery is for when you go out with your laptop to meeting or to college perhaps. You need the mains adapter to charge the battery. Whist it is doing that you are running on the mains supply
You can use a laptop with no battery at all, but it needs to be connected to the mains all the time.
Just slightly restrictive..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for that Trevor, as everyone knows I'm useless at technology :lol:

Jackie