Archaeological excavations at Geronissos Island completed( CYWeekly

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Archaeological excavations at Geronissos Island completed( CYWeekly

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I am glad to hear that my theory of a Roman harbour is confirmed now...(if people remember the video some month ago)

http://in-cyprus.com/archaeological-exc ... completed/

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Archaeological excavations at Geronissos Island completed( CYWeekly

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As the video from Manos is a really nice one, here the previous post from me:

Excavations on this little Island which goes back more than 3000 BC is clearly seen on this video, even the ancient harbour one can see (minute 5.16) This area is the first point ancient sailors from the West reached after many days being on the boat from Greek Islands and I believe that Akamas was then a very busy place to land as they were sure exhausted from a long journey...
Now I hope you will enjoy the video the same way I did right now.
Max
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you for posting, I am interested in this little island so it was nice for me to find out some more. I wonder where all the artefacts that were dug up are - do you know, Max?

Cyprus really does keep on giving, there is always something new.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Bograt wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:27 pm Thank you for posting, I am interested in this little island so it was nice for me to find out some more. I wonder where all the artefacts that were dug up are - do you know, Max?

Bograt
Part of them will be at Lemba, some of the important one's at Nicosia, some will be gone for ever...(perhaps with special permit) :roll:

Max
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm
Bograt wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:27 pm Thank you for posting, I am interested in this little island so it was nice for me to find out some more. I wonder where all the artefacts that were dug up are - do you know, Max?

Bograt
Part of them will be at Lemba, some of the important one's at Nicosia, some will be gone for ever...(perhaps with special permit) :roll:

Max
Thanks Max. I'll get myself to Lemba then, and have a look at that jungle whilst I'm there.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Bograt wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Bograt

Max
Thanks Max. I'll get myself to Lemba then, and have a look at that jungle whilst I'm there.
I have doubts it is open to the public to see it, but you can try if you have the time...

Max
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

All finds have to be handed in to the official body, i.e. the Department of Antiquities, therefore the Paphos District Archaeological Museum.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Ancient History wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 am ... , i.e. the Department of Antiquities, therefore the Paphos District Archaeological Museum.
... which is close to Kennedy square, in a beautiful building, and with 2 excellent restaurants (Muse and Koutourou) close-by, certainly worth a visit...

A.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lofos-5 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 am
Ancient History wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 am ... , i.e. the Department of Antiquities, therefore the Paphos District Archaeological Museum.
... which is close to Kennedy square, in a beautiful building, and with 2 excellent restaurants (Muse and Koutourou) close-by, certainly worth a visit...

A.
Sorry Lofos-5 but the Museum near the Muse ( yes excellent) is either the Ethnographical Museum or the Byzantine Museum and not the Paphos District Museum. You would not find anything from Geronisos there. But the District Museum is closed anyhow and they are not going to store more artifacts there as there was recently a big scandal about missing items :roll: which is not finished (but our Mayor is looking into that case)
Perhaps member Koili01 knows if some of the Geronisos artifacts can be seen at Lemba :?:

Max
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Lofos-5 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 am

A.
Muse - yes I love it. Koutourou - something new to try, thank you.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Koutourou is where Politico was. Must book for the evening.

This seems a bit off-topic, though!
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

If you go for lunch no need to book at Koutourou - getting hungry just by thinking about it (try the grilled halloumi with honey!).

A.