I like Cyprus because...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

I like Cyprus because...

Post by Dominic »

I am in the process of preparing the Paphos LIfe contribution for next month's Grapevine Magazine. One thread that is included contained the following post:

Re: The old town IS OPEN so please support it!
Bograt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

I can't wait to get back, and explore the old town properly. I love what I have seen of it so far, and admire their chutzpah in making some bold changes. Have to say, I rather enjoyed all the challenges of the dead ends and slightly interesting pavement arrangements during the renovations, but that is because I loved being free of the OTT British way. The mentality that said "oh my god, there is a hole, quick, ban the public as they are fools and will not be able to work it out..." was delightfully absent.
This got me thinking. What do people like about Cyprus that we didn't have in the UK? Obvious answers like the weather, and a slower pace of life, are a given, but what else? Personally, I like the absence of CCTV cameras, and Cypriot friendliness. When we first drove up a one way street the wrong way in Paphos, people laughed and kindly pointed out our error. Do that in London and you will get nothing but abuse!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
geoffreys

Re: I like Cyprus because...

Post by geoffreys »

the total lack of "PC" (Political Correctness).
Geoff.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

because I've lived here for two years and know more people than i did living in a modern housing development for 25 years in the UK, that I'm surrounded by grapes, olives, pomegranate, oranges, lemons, fennel, garlic, tulips and the occasional goat. Living in Polemi, the scenery is always changing, there's always something going on in the fields, but I can get to a beach in 30 mins if i want to.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

For me it is the friendliness of the Cypriot people. Their real interest in our family and yes, like PolemIan being surrounded by oranges, lemons, olives etc and the smell of wild thyme.
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

friendliness of the Cypriot people, wife was out once and a couple of strangers changed her flat tyre, they were horrified when she offered to pay them, lack of cameras following you around in town centers and roads, may it long continue,and the other usual things, weather, lifestyle, laid back attitude,
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

The random kindness and helpfulness of the Cypriot people. The way you feel you are with friends even when surrounded by strangers. The smooth roads compared to the UK, although there are of course some lively potholes at times to keep you on your toes. The lack of CCTV, definitely. Being treated like a human with a brain, not an idiot to be shunted around and controlled by said CCTV. The freedom! The way you can go for a drive into the wilds, and not see another soul for an hour or more. The list goes on..... harder to say things I don't like really, as that list would be very, very small.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The trust many of the local shopkeepers show.... I have purchased items and been told to come back and pay later! From people I've never met before....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 am The trust many of the local shopkeepers show.... I have purchased items and been told to come back and pay later! From people I've never met before....
Ha ha, a similar thing happened to me yesterday. I was choosing a smartphone for my wife in a shop where I was known.... take is home to show her and see if she likes it I was told.. Without any payment I must add.

I ended up buying it
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

The freedom to ramble in the countryside just about anywhere your feet will take you :D
Gone but not forgotten...
josef k

Post by josef k »

What do I like? Well it's a long list but here are some:
No CCTV everywhere.
Space on the roads.
Friendliness of Cypriots.
Safety and security when out and about.
People smile when they walk past.
Ability to pop in and talk to bank and government officials without having to use a call centre.
People aren't angry all the time.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

josef k wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 pm What do I like? Well it's a long list but here are some:
No CCTV everywhere.
Space on the roads.
Friendliness of Cypriots.
Safety and security when out and about.
People smile when they walk past.
Ability to pop in and talk to bank and government officials without having to use a call centre.
People aren't angry all the time.
Yup. "like" :lol: :lol:
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I guess this is aimed at expats so will make my comment brief. Recently the press has exposed some dirty tricks used by car hire firms. The local company we used for the past 18 years in Paphos just says your CDW covers all dents & scratches. Gives great peace of mind
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

My heart belongs there.........I love the unspoilt areas of the country side, the smell of the pines in the Troodos area........the definition of colours in Winter Spring Summer and Autumn and the friends you make are for life ❤️
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Agree with everything said above, plus never being far from a Kiosk!
sueb

Post by sueb »

As we are returners to living in Cyprus. You appreciate even more the 2nd time. Can relate to most that have been mentioned above.

My others would be:-

1. Getting your car filled up with petrol and window screen washed.
2. Car wash for inside and out for between €5 to €7.
3. The seasons that we have and winter being so short.
4. Easy living on all fronts.
5. Villages to explore.
6. Swimming either in the sea or pool.
7. People you meet from all around the world.
8. The cost of local tax for bins and the fact they are emptied 2 a week.
9. Christmas and the fact it is low key rather than it starting the 'big sell in September'.
10 The main one for me is the fact that living here has enabled me to retire at 58. If I was in the UK I would need to have been working till at least 63 and then still not be getting my state pension till I was 67.

Happy days! Enjoy life where ever you are.
Last edited by sueb on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be back on the Island!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We love it for all the above reasons. But the main one being the simple way of life. It reminds us of our childhood days. The children out on there own playing without a worry or a care-bliss.
All things are possible