Planning permission

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Expresspete

Planning permission

Post by Expresspete »

Can anyone advise please? Do I need to gain planning permission to erect a pergola with a tiled roof on my property (in Peyia)?
Thank you in advance
Living the Sunshine dream 8-)
geoffreys

Re: Planning permission

Post by geoffreys »

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions.
The answer is Yes and No - depending on size as a percentage of the main building, and so on. Quite a complex issue actually.
First port of call should be the local Council/Community Council/Muhktar's office - ask there and then take it from there.
Geoff.
Expresspete

Post by Expresspete »

Thank you Geoff
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

If you don't have full title deeds, you may find you have to remove said pergola in order for the deeds to be issued at whatever future date. I've seen other people have to remove their various extensions/additions before full deeds could be issued.

The area your property's plot is in will be designated with a % covered area and if your pergola's roof size added to the existing buildings comes to more than that, then you may have to settle for a "temporary" pergola roof rather than a tiled roof.

As Geoff says, go to Pegeia Council Offices and try to find somebody helpful there - take your plans showing exactly where your plot is and where/how large the existing building is, as well as details of the planned pergola.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Expresspete

Post by Expresspete »

Thank you Kay (I have full Title Deeds btw)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Thanks for that info, Lloyd.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

My calculated guess is that since you already have full Title Deeds, you're home and dry with your proposed tiled Pergola extension, without the need for Planning.

Caveat: So long as you keep the existing and (proposed new) covered areas in sensible proportions, and don't try to roof your entire back garden! AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 pm My calculated guess is that since you already have full Title Deeds, you're home and dry with your proposed tiled Pergola extension, without the need for Planning.

AL :)
Absolutely right Alan. When you have full Title Deeds who should come to check. I would not go anywhere to ask for a permit. I have built four houses in the last 35 years with many extensions after the Title Deeds. ;) :) and never had any problem.

Max
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I'm ever so glad you agreed with my calculated (and distant) guess, Max! You have seriously made my night tonight, thanks!

Yia Mas! AL :)
Expresspete

Post by Expresspete »

Thank you one and all 👍
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

You're more than welcome, Peter! Please share some photos of your project here on PL, when it's all done and dusted!

Plus a recommendation for whoever did it for you, if you were happy with their price, workmanship, quality of materials, and so on...

ATB- AL :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm
PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 pm My calculated guess is that since you already have full Title Deeds, you're home and dry with your proposed tiled Pergola extension, without the need for Planning.

AL :)
Absolutely right Alan. When you have full Title Deeds who should come to check. I would not go anywhere to ask for a permit. I have built four houses in the last 35 years with many extensions after the Title Deeds. ;) :) and never had any problem.

Max
You've been extremely lucky...not everyone will have your luck, maybe a neighbor might grass you up. Best to go the legal route always
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Oh come on now please, WHL! We're only talking about a smallish covered pergola extension to the side or rear of the house, to provide a nice shaded outdoor eating area in Summer, or dry area in Winter if it's raining, surely?

It's not like Peter is planning to raise the house another level, or build a granny apartment in his back garden, is it? I don't expect to win this discussion with you, btw. You'll want the last word for sure, guaranteed...

Cheers- AL :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 pm Oh come on now please, WHL! We're only talking about a smallish covered pergola extension to the side or rear of the house, to provide a nice shaded outdoor eating area in Summer, or dry area in Winter if it's raining, surely?

It's not like Peter is planning to raise the house another level, or build a granny apartment in his back garden, is it? I don't expect to win this discussion with you, btw. You'll want the last word for sure, guaranteed...

Cheers- AL :)
Mate I sugest you try reading what I actually wrote before, getting on your high horse...my reply was to Cyprusmax, who wrote,
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

If you dont have permission then there is likely to be problems when its sold.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

merchant_banker wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 am If you dont have permission then there is likely to be problems when its sold.
Correct, because the "extension" won't be shown on the plans that go with the TDs. Even if your "extension" does not require planning permission, the plans that go with the TDs should be updated and a copy filed with the Land Registry.
As WHL said best to go the legal route.
Geoff.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm As I read it the OP was asking about a pergola with a tiled roof. No mention was made about an extension to the house nor did he say it was to be adjoining the house. IMHO if you erect an open sided pergola, even if it is to be a car port attached to the house, of course you do not need planning permission (as long as you have your TDs) and to start asking 'officials' will open you up to a load of unnecessary hassle.
The OP said it was a tiled pergola "on his property". The word extension was being used to describe ANY form of addition to his property, whether attached to the house or not. Whatever it is, whether it requires planning permission or not, it should be included on the site plans in order to avoid future problems and filed with the LR.
Geoff.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm As I read it the OP was asking about a pergola with a tiled roof. No mention was made about an extension to the house nor did he say it was to be adjoining the house. IMHO if you erect an open sided pergola, even if it is to be a car port attached to the house, of course you do not need planning permission (as long as you have your TDs) and to start asking 'officials' will open you up to a load of unnecessary hassle.
Thank you Austin7, It could not be explained better. I am glad never ever joined all the arguments on the politics section :D :D

(specially with the last sentence you hit the nail... ;) :!:

Max
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 pm
Thank you Austin7, It could not be explained better. I am glad never ever joined all the arguments on the politics section :D :D

Max
No argument. The OP asked for advice and that is what he got.
It is entirely up to him whether or not he chooses to heed such advice.
Thank you.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

geoffreys wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Max
No argument. The OP asked for advice and that is what he got.
It is entirely up to him whether or not he chooses to heed such advice.
Thank you.
Geoff.
Got to agree with Geoff, Its alright for Cyprusmax to tell him to go ahead and not worry about planning permission, and that Cyprusmax has stated he has build many extensions without planing permission, but when someone asks a question on a forum, surely its only right to advice them of the problems they might have, if they illegally build.