Fall of the £ again

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
June

Re: Fall of the £ again

Post by June »

"That's why they're much less voluble now than they were just a month or two ago. It's like they're hiding in the wings."

HiC.. as a mere bystander my thoughts are that everyone has become bored with your constant reiteration of the same old thing. I know I have.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:07 am Perhaps CG would like to tackle ITV on this most outrageous of claims...and provide them with his evidence to the contrary :lol:
How strange! :?

They seem to have the same definition of 'plummeting' as you. i.e. 'stays about the same'... :roll:

I wonder if they also share your definitions of 'in free fall', etc? :lol:
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

However you define plummeting I don't really care BUT this article obviously refers to the fall of the pound due to the hung parliament and not BREXIT.That is what you are doing to try to score points HIC and from now on anything that does not go well in the UK will be down to BREXIT - rather a blinkered view in my humble opinion!
It does not really matter now what any of us voted for,BREXIT is happening,negotiations have started and it is time that people supported the democratic view of the voters and if I may say so Lloyd you and people like you who did not bother to vote could have changed the outcome at the referendum stage but you did'nt and too late now!You must all be kicking yourselves!!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Poppy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 am However you define plummeting I don't really care BUT this article obviously refers to the fall of the pound due to the hung parliament and not BREXIT.That is what you are doing to try to score points HIC and from now on anything that does not go well in the UK will be down to BREXIT - rather a blinkered view in my humble opinion!
It does not really matter now what any of us voted for,BREXIT is happening,negotiations have started and it is time that people supported the democratic view of the voters and if I may say so Lloyd you and people like you who did not bother to vote could have changed the outcome at the referendum stage but you did'nt and too late now!You must all be kicking yourselves!!
OK, I think most have accepted Brexit is happening as the country voted for it - even though I, like many, think the vote was skewed by lies, lack of proper information and a referendum that should have been structured differently.

So, I accept brexit., It will happen. However, the country was never asked if it wanted brexit at ANY cost. May’s view that no deal is bette than a bad deal will finish her. We need a deal,. The EU needs a deal. A deal needs to happen. We need to have access to the EU markets. We need to keep much of what has happened in the EU. ASsll the hype about rules and bent banana rubbish has tainted people’s views that the EU=bad, Britain=Good. All the rubbish about Rule Britannia, bring back sovereignty and securing our borders is an olde-worlde view.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well Jim, I know you don't think much of the UK, and you're entitled to your opinion of course, but what's wrong with sovereignty and securing our borders ? As for Rule Britannia, I have it as the ring tone on my mobile, it raises a few smiles when it rings :D

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:31 pm
Poppy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 am However you define plummeting I don't really care BUT this article obviously refers to the fall of the pound due to the hung parliament and not BREXIT.That is what you are doing to try to score points HIC and from now on anything that does not go well in the UK will be down to BREXIT - rather a blinkered view in my humble opinion!
OK, I think most have accepted Brexit is happening as the country voted for it - even though I, like many, think the vote was skewed by lies, lack of proper information and a referendum that should have been structured differently.

So, I accept brexit., It will happen. However, the country was never asked if it wanted brexit at ANY cost. May’s view that no deal is bette than a bad deal will finish her. We need a deal,. The EU needs a deal. A deal needs to happen. We need to have access to the EU markets. We need to keep much of what has happened in the EU. ASsll the hype about rules and bent banana rubbish has tainted people’s views that the EU=bad, Britain=Good. All the rubbish about Rule Britannia, bring back sovereignty and securing our borders is an olde-worlde view.
It was a simple 'Leave' or 'Remain' question and both sides made clear what the effects of both would be...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell. I do come across that way at times, but it is not that I don’t feel strongly and positively about the UK. I am keen that Brexit does not leave us worse off than we were. I am invested in that for a number of reason. I own property in Cyprus and pay mortgages there. I also work part-time for a Finnish company, who are very concerned about potential trade with the UK going forward. I also am a Director of a company who does business all across the world and as a small company, any rise in costs or difficulties in trading, will impact hugely.

As to my aspect on the history of the UK. I appreciate that the UK gave much to the world. But I am also not blinkered enough to know that for many, that came at a heavy price. I live not far from Glasgow. A city with great architecture and history, but much of it’s wealth built on empire and in particular on tobacco. All based on a slave trade that I am ashamed of. 5% of the people became very wealthy on that, yet the other 95% lived in poverty so poor, that even up until the 60’s, conditions meant that average life expectancy was early 50’s.

I want Britain to see it’s proper place in the world and that shouldn’t involve invasions of Iraq or Libya. As in the past it shouldn’t involve raping half the world. These are strong words, but we must leave that past behind by acknowledging it and being part of a world of the future. That world can no longer be introspective, as brexit is pushing us more towards. At a time when borders are falling, movement of people is increasing and even poor in mud huts in Africa, can see images and videos of the West on mobile phones..... It’s no wonder that modern communications is creating a problem that building walls doesn’t answer. We need to contribute to solving the problem at the source. If someone is pissing in your river upstream, building a purification plant for yourself is not the answer.

In summary, let’s make Great Britain great for what we do now and not what we did.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I agree that forms of border control are a must. What irks me, is when one political party blames the other, when they are all to blame. Certainly, the EU made a huge mistake in agreeing to targets for countries to take immigrants from the likes of Syria. While I agree that immigration and cultural mix have always been part of every countries makeup, it does need to ensure that the core culture isn't threatened as has happened here on occasions. Similary, I do agree that it's one nation that needs one set of laws for everyone and that allowing Sharia laws to be used in some communities only alienates the populations on both sides, from each other and the proper recourse.\

We do, therefore agree on a lot, but differ in the application of managing all this, at times. You take a more right-wing approach and I am more liberal. But they shouldn't necessarily always disagree, but be part of a discussion for common ground.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Hudswell and Jim- I appreciated the conciliatory stance in your respective posts. All the better without silly little winking faces or endless links. More please!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

kingfisher wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:14 pm Hudswell and Jim- I appreciated the conciliatory stance in your respective posts. All the better without silly little winking faces or endless links. More please!
Agreed - hat tip to them both!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 pm In summary, let’s make Great Britain great for what we do now and not what we did.
Amen to that, and amen to mature debate.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

How many times do I have to say this? The difference is whether or not you are able to vote
You state yourself that you were still allowed to vote in the UK but surely not allowed to vote in the USA?
I also said that if you and people like you had bothered to vote not just you and of course that would have made a difference!Your arguments are suddenly very feeble Lloyd!!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Uk ftse has fallen to April levels. Pound has risen to $1.30 but not against Euro.

There's a real danger that confidence in uk is falling, with inflation 6 x pre referendum and wages still stumped by austerity measures. Unless something changes and only scrapping austerity would likely do that, then there is a real danger we will continue in decline.

Anyone who considers Brexit isn't affecting the country is mad.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think the pound is in for a bumpy ride for a while yet.... We've still got a very long way to go until Brexit means Brexit comes to fruition, should that be the case 😉
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I spent an hour or so, yesterday, in Spain, talking to a senior banker from Caixa, their second bank.

He told me the Spanish finance world is seriously worried about Brexit. Their economy is largely financed by tourism and foreign investment in housing and business. Largest contributor of that is Britain.

Spain is aiming to have a deal with a Britain, but realise it will be unlikely to be able to pass that through the EU. As a result, they're expecting their economy to decline. They also expect the UK economy to decline a lot and that spend in countries like Spain will fall to the extent that Brexit will seriously affect the countries that we spend in, like Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy and others.

He sees a rapid deflation of the UK finance markets and effects worldwide. He actually forecast zBrexit himself, and sold some Spanish property Pre-brexit to minimise his personal effect.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think UK residents should be very worried about the loss of or reduction in access to medical isotopes used in cancer treatment - one very good reason for staying with the EU.
Interruptions to the supply of medical isotopes
Leaving Euratom risks breaking a series of time-sensitive supply chains which supply isotopes used in nuclear medicine. The UK does not have any reactors capable of producing these isotopes and because they decay rapidly – often within a matter of hours or days – hospitals in the UK must rely on a continuous supply from reactors in France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
Issues with these reactors precipitated a two-year crisis in the supply of several major medical isotopes between 2008 and 2010. This meant that hospitals across Europe had to delay or cancel hundreds of thousands of medical tests.
In response to this, the Euratom Supply Agency was given a more prominent role in overseeing the supply chains of medical isotopes and ensuring that they are economically viable, stable and given due political importance.
Without the support of Euratom, the UK may find it harder to guarantee the supply of these materials to hospitals.
Thousands of cancer patients could suffer delays to their treatment as a direct result of Brexit, Theresa May has been warned by top doctors and members of her own party.
As part of the deal to leave the EU, Britain has decided to quit the European nuclear body Euratom – which governs the movement of radioactive material around Europe.
About Euratom and what it does for us: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... ed/euratom
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

You never know, we might get them from the USA.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Interesting response regarding Euratom - nobody did their homework!!!
The Government came under fire today after it admitted it did not carry out a formal assessment of the impact of quitting the Euratom agency.

Former minister Ed Vaizey said the failure was “surprising” because of possible consequences for jobs, energy supplies, research and medicine.

MPs stepped up pressure on ministers this morning by holding a Commons debate on a decision they suspect was taken in 10 Downing Street with minimal consultation.

They were demanding to see the legal advice that led the Government to insist that Britain had to leave at the same time as quitting the European Union.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gover ... 86071.html
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

No, most of us "ardent" Brexiteers are still very much in the room.
Regards the fall of the GBP my chums in the City are suggesting this is another attack on the GBP by the likes of George Soros.
If not him then another/ like him.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Double post
Last edited by WHL on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.