Forum Upgrade

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Forum Upgrade

Post by Dominic »

Tomorrow morning I will be upgrading the forum software. You shouldn't notice anything once it is upgraded, but during the upgrade the forum will be inactive.

So if you try to log in tomorrow morning and it says "Forum inactive", just try again in 10 minutes time.

Ta

Once it is upgraded I can work on putting more anti spam measures in place. We had our first spammer today!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 pm Tomorrow morning I will be upgrading the forum software. You shouldn't notice anything once it is upgraded, but during the upgrade the forum will be inactive.
How many times have we heard that - in computerland, an 'upgrade' always breaks something!!! :lol: ;)

Road Warrior wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm Forum is excellent and in such a short time, we'll done :)
I concur, it is very well run and easy to use. :)
Long may this continue.
Many thanks Dominic.
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

J B wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 pm
How many times have we heard that - in computerland, an 'upgrade' always breaks something!!! :lol: ;)
Fortunately the server gets backed up nightly. The backup works too! A couple of years ago while I was upgrading something major on it everything went to hell, and I had to spend the entire night rebuilding it all from the backup. I got to know the support chap at the server farm quite well by the time it was up and running again.

But yes, something probably will break. It wouldn't be a proper upgrade if it didn't.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So now we play spot the difference!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Could be worse - a year or 2 ago, Bank of Cyprus upgraded and rolled out a new computer system - which crashed, meaning no banking of anything other than cash for 2 weeks while they sorted it out. You'd have thought they'd have run the two systems simultaneously for a while just in case .... :roll:
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Years ago I worked in I.T Support on one of the dealing floors in the city. It was in the early 90s, and the infrastructure wasn't as robust as it is these days. Once a badly configured network card brought the network down, and delayed a big deal by over an hour. I remember one of the heads thanking the I.T dept, as the delay saved the bank millions, as the market had changed. However, they did ask that in future the systems remained up.

Had the market gone the other way I am sure that conversation would have been rather different.