Following on from the Missing Swallows thread ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PW in Polemi

Following on from the Missing Swallows thread ...

Post by PW in Polemi »

It's not only swallows that are few and far between, this year. I've noticed that my sweet smelling purple buddleia, normally buzzing and well covered with bees and butterflies, to the extent that I risked being stung when dead heading the old flowers, has not been in such demand this year.

Is this because it's so much drier this year?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Following on from the Missing Swallows thread ...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PW in Polemi wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm It's not only swallows that are few and far between, this year. I've noticed that my sweet smelling purple buddleia, normally buzzing and well covered with bees and butterflies, to the extent that I risked being stung when dead heading the old flowers, has not been in such demand this year.

Is this because it's so much drier this year?
There are not as many swallows in my place as in all the previous years. Even the wheatear, breading twice a year in my nesting boxes just had a look around and disappeared.

There is not enough food for the birds this year as we had so little rain. If you drive 50 km with your car the windscreen stays clear of insects, only dust.
The positive side effect is that there are very view mossies around also very little larvae in rain water drums. Last year I had thousands of butterflies in the garden, this time nothing. Wildlife is disturbed.
Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well the mozzies that you are missing are up here and having lots of bites at my legs :-(

Trev..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 pm Well the mozzies that you are missing are up here and having lots of bites at my legs :-(

Trev..
I cannot they I am missing them, I hate them, as the first one around get's me.... :roll:
Max
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

We've noticed a significant increase in swallows round our house...many more than last year
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Living in Luton, UK, half a mile north of the L&D Hospital, I've just witnessed squadrons of Swallows buzzing around quite high up (even dodging our local pylon cables) grabbing all the flying insects in the very hot and humid conditions prevailing here in southern UK at present...

Took a close look at them through my binoculars, as best I could, as they fly faster than Starlings, LOL! They don't seem to have a forked tail. Does that make them Swallows, or Martins?

What I CAN see however, is their wing shape. Surely this is what inspired R J Mitchell in his original 'Supermarine Spitfire' design back in the 20's and 30's (and henceforth)?

What I witnessed this evening was like watching the Battle of Britain re-enacted. Where the Spitfires and Hurricanes were the Swallows (?) and guess who the invading insects were (gulped up, with no loss of swallow life)?
Gone but not forgotten...