For BBC iPlayer users

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
AlanGW

For BBC iPlayer users

Post by AlanGW »

From todays Daily Telegraph: -

The BBC has added password controls to iPlayer, forcing viewers to register in order to watch its programmes.
From today iPlayer users will need to provide the BBC with their name, date of birth email address and home address if they want to use the service.

Alan
Chichi

Re: For BBC iPlayer users

Post by Chichi »

Working fine this morning on Triotech Sat box:)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Fine for me on my laptop, but i am registered with them.

Trev..
Trev..
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

trevnhil wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 8:32 am Fine for me on my laptop, but i am registered with them.

Trev..
Trev

When you registered did you select Cyprus or the UK as your country ?

Cheers
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I chose the UK because if I had used Cyprus I would not be allowed to view..

Trev..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Interesting. If you live in the UK, don't have a TV license, and sign up to use iPLayer, will you then require a TV license? If that is the case, I wonder how long it will be before people start registering with their neighbour's address. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

By the way... If you delve deeper into what was said by the BBC representative, these are his words..

"At the moment our thinking is around how we expand the sign-in and with what data. We would like to do postcode and date of birth."

Trev..
Trev..
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

trevnhil wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:02 am I chose the UK because if I had used Cyprus I would not be allowed to view..

Trev..
Thanks Trev, did you enter your own UK post code or someone else's post code (i.e. relative, friend, total stranger) ?

I'm assuming that all the BBC wants (for now) is a valid UK Post Code as it would require considerable time, effort and expense to validate the Post Code against names of occupants or/and whether the property has a TV license.

I was curious about how far the BBC went in validation of the data entered by a user and was pleased to note that the iPlayer accepted my date of birth as 01/01/1900 !
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The BBC announcement says within weeks , so no need to rush off and check it just yet .

" BBC announces password will be needed to access iPlayer content within weeks ."
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

I would never have thought that you were somebody who would tell 'unthruths'!
Why not? Theresa May does.
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

AlanGW wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 am From todays Daily Telegraph: -

The BBC has added password controls to iPlayer, forcing viewers to register in order to watch its programmes.
From today iPlayer users will need to provide the BBC with their name, date of birth email address and home address if they want to use the service.

Alan
Not quite right Alan, no name or actual address needed.
If I were the sort of person to tell porkies to the BBC Iplayer people, this is what I would do. :D :D

Presuming you are using a DNS re-locator to watch Iplayer, that won't block your location for registering as the DNS re-locators only work on actual streaming. So I would imagine, you need might to take a free short term trial for VPN to register, if you don't have one.
The BBC want to know your age and your email and they verify the email. They also want to know your gender although you can refuse to say!
The email would be better if you can select a UK email - if you don't have one sign up for a free UK email. Which only leaves the postcode ....... I am sure none of you would do this, but an unscrupulous ex-pat just might pick the post code for a block of flats in their former home town. A block of flats where at least 50 flats use the same post code and use that postcode on the BBC registration.

While this works it was only tested by an unnamed individual in hilly village for educational purposes and forum members should not under any circumstances view Iplayer while outside of the UK or without a licence or else the full force of the BBC enforcement lawyers will descend on them, and any friends or relatives knowingly aiding or abetting. I hope we are all clear on that now. :oops:
AlanGW

Post by AlanGW »

Polemi Dave,
I did not say it was right, I just posted what is published in todays Daily Telepraph verbatim thinking it might be of interest to iPlayer users here on the Island. I personally do not use iPlayer.
Alan
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

Alan if we are are being pedantic about it, I did not attribute the error to you, only what you had posted "was not quite right". While the Torygraph hacks probably don't see any difference between a full address and a post code, from a BBC verification point of view it means identification of individual persons is impossible.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Registered a few years ago, just signed in today to confirm.

Alan