When Window Cleaning Gets Off Topic

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
smudger

Re: Window cleaner

Post by smudger »

"I do find 30 euros a tad expensive, Cyprus must be different these days because cleaning inside and out is a bit strange to me.
Back in the UK we get our 3 bed semi windows including conservatory and porch for £5.50 the equivalent to 7 euros, when I told our window cleaner he laughed and said he was going to consider moving to Cyprus.
Please no offensive responses just trying to point out how expensive it is in Cyprus to get your windows cleaned"

1. As you don't live here how would you know?
2. Prices are € not £
3. People are talking patio doors here, not UK living/dining/kitchen/bedroom windows.
4. In the heat, which is ramping up as we speak, no one wants to clean windows, whether inside or out, so what is so strange about enterprising individuals undertaking that chore, for which many people are prepared to pay? Would your friend clean 2/3/4 sets of patio doors inside and out in 30c/40c for £5.50/€7??? Think not.
5. It's not expensive in Cyprus, far from it. We benefit from many, many other services which are far more beneficial than the UK. Which is why we live here and you live in the UK. Horses for courses.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Bassman62 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm 5. Of course it isn't expensive in 2008 we were charged 30 euros for a haircut, much better value than the £8 I pay back in the UK.
I calculate €30 for a haircut in Cyprus as roughly equivalent to £25-50 back in UK at todays forex rates, bassman. How do you equate that as being BETTER value than an £8 haircut back in the UK, please?

Or did you mean €3 perhaps :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Bassman62 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm 1. I've lived in Cyprus twice.
2. Our friend in Tala was asked for 40 euros to clean her small 2 bed bungalow's windows. As I said 7 euros is roughly £5.50
3. We have French windows. I'd want my car cleaning and waxing as well.
4. Same old excuse 'heat', we used to do a cross country run in Cyprus starting at 1300 hours in the summer.
5. Of course it isn't expensive in 2008 we were charged 30 euros for a haircut, much better value than the £8 I pay back in the UK.
I think you are probably very lucky to pay so little for your windows and including a conservatory and French windows too! My friend pays £12 for her two bed house (5 windows). Don't forget that you have no runners/tracks in the UK to clean out. My 3 bed holiday house in Cyprus has 6 large double patio doors and 10 windows. If I could get that lot cleaned for €30 I would be very happy. My boys pay €8 for their haircuts at our local gents hairdressers in Emba and so perhaps you weren't so good at shopping around when you were here?

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
smudger

Post by smudger »

1. I've lived in Cyprus twice.

Yes, well documented Bassman, but I hardly think an 18 months stint as a squaddie in the mid 60's qualifies you as an authority on Cyprus, nor even the 3 months you spent trying to live here in 2006 qualify either. Most of us on these forums are actually living here and have been for several years, so it's a fair assumption that most of us know a damn site more about what we're talking about than you do!

2. Our friend in Tala was asked for 40 euros to clean her small 2 bed bungalow's windows. As I said 7 euros is roughly £5.50

Even a small 2 bedroomed bungalow could have 3 sets of patio doors,as well as the usual lounge, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom windows. Not t sure what you do for a living in the UK, apart from giggling, but just wonder how you would cope cleaning the windows, doors and patio doors in a 3 bedroomed villa here in 39/40 heat? Fine to post smug comments about your days as a squaddie, running in the heat, but could you even think about it now in your 70s?? I doubt it very much. Many of the expats trying to make a living are not young, fit squaddies, so not really acceptable to make snide comparisons is it??

3. We have French windows. I'd want my car cleaning and waxing as well.

Hmm, how many sets of patio doors do you have, and clearly your costs include only outside, so what?? That still makes you an authority on Cyprus costs?? After less than 3 years actually living here??

4. Same old excuse 'heat', we used to do a cross country run in Cyprus starting at 1300 hours in the summer.

Oh dear, here we go again, the squaddies. Remind us again how old you were Bassman? And how old do you think many of these expats trying to make a living are? Not mid 20s squaddies I can assure you!

5. Of course it isn't expensive in 2008 we were charged 30 euros for a haircut, much better value than the £8 I pay back in the UK.

What was it Oscar Wilde said about a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing?
Maybe time to brush up on the great bard Bassman.

A final thought, since you wax so lyrical about Cyprus and post repeatedly about wanting to meet up with people actually living here when you come over, why do you spend so much time knocking Cyprus??
smudger

Post by smudger »

"I'm not knocking Cyprus,...."

Get real Bassman, you are, as usual.

"just remove your Cyprus tinted spectacles,...." no tinted spectacles here Bassman, unlike you, I've lived here 11 years, long enough to see reality for what it is.

"I'm just pointing out a different perspective like 3 euros for a bunch of grapes at the Duckpond, £1.49 in the UK, 3 euros for 6 peaches in Paphos Mkt, £1 for 6 UK local Mkt. Same with Oranges, Satsumas and Nectarines all cheaper in the UK."..... :| wondered how long it would be before this chestnut reappeared. As I said, whingeing as usual.

"At least I've kept my forum name ......" well that's a real change Bassman, forgotten how many you had on CL, let alone PP when you were bounced off. Err including "Val", your wifes name as I recall. When you live in a greenhouse Bassman, don't throw stones.

"I wonder how many of you have, although your conduct does give you away."

You assume too much,as usual Bassman. I have no idea why anyone else uses a different forum name, but I have no agenda here, and if you look back on my posts you will see me quoting my own name time after time. My forum names are usually family names or pets names, I'm not silly enough to think people on here wouldn't know who I really was, which is where you fell down so many times on rejoining CL and PP under another name after being banned. People saw through you straight away. Can't actually think why, but I'm sure it will come to me :lol:

Give yourself a break Bassman, take some good advice and give the forums a rest.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: When Window Cleaning Gets Off Topic

Post by Dominic »

I moved the Window Cleaner thread to the Recommended Contractors section. All the posts not relating to recommending Window Cleaning have been moved here instead.

If you don't get on with another poster, consider adding them to your Enemies list under the User Control Panel. You will never have to see their posts again then.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Bassman62 wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 1:11 pm
PaphosAL wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Bassman62 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm 5. Of course it isn't expensive in 2008 we were charged 30 euros for a haircut, much better value than the £8 I pay back in the UK.
I calculate €30 for a haircut in Cyprus as roughly equivalent to £25-50 back in UK at todays forex rates, bassman. How do you equate that as being BETTER value than an £8 haircut back in the UK, please?

Or did you mean €3 perhaps :?
Just a hint of humour that seems to be still lacking on son of you know who.
Sorry, but your hint of humour flew straight over my old head...

A few years back, I bought a USA made WAHL animal clipper off fleaBay for wifey to trim our large Westie 'Max' (RIP). To this day, I get a freebie haircut from wifey or daughter using the 3mm attachment (or longer, if you prefer) every 6 weeks (ish)

Similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAHL-CORDLESS ... SwYHxWN8H1

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...