Concerns mount over Paphos road project setbacks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Concerns mount over Paphos road project setbacks

Post by Paphos Life »

The problems and delays in implementing the first phase of the new Paphos-Polis Chrysochous road were discussed with the Minister of Transport, Communications, and Works by the Vice President of DIKO and Paphos MP, Chrysanthos Savvides, a few days after the parliamentary Transport Committee’s engagement with the issue. As stated to PafosNet by Savvides, Alexis […]

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Concerns mount over Paphos road project setbacks

Post by Dominic »

The only work I have seen done recently is right at the top, where the motorway will rejoin the B7. Other than that there doesn't appear to be any progress at the moment.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ams

Post by Ams »

:( :( :( :( :(

As someone who lives in Anarita and loves snorkelling at Latchi in summer, I can't wait for this road to be ready. Hearing about these massive set backs was really disappointing. Hope they can get it moving again, and obviously for the people who live up there.

Not to mention the part where it will join the main motorway looks an eyesore at the moment.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The A6 from the Aphrodite turning to Paphos took forever, at the time never though it would be completed, hopefully it won’t take as long !!!!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

The journey from Polemi to Paphos & return is a nightmare with heavy traffic on the road, it’s wise to add at least 10/15 minutes to your journey if you need to be somewhere by a certain time
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This article, even if you read it 3 times, tells you nothing why there is a delay, only talks about meetings and meetings...

Some weeks ago I was reading in the press, that the contractor wants nearly 3 years more time and extra 22 million Euros extra money for farious reasons.

I already questioned years ago, after the contract was signed, the low construction costs of 86 million for this difficult project with 2 tunnels etc...

So here part of the article:

"While according to the contracts, the first phase from Agia Marinouda to Stroumpi, with a length of 15 kilometers and a cost of 86 million, should be completed by the end of the year, the Director of the Public Works Department revealed during today’s visit of the MPs that only 35% of the total work has been completed so far. The company is demanding an additional 33 months and another 22 million from the initial agreement for the project’s completion."

Source:
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/local/d ... y-project/

Max
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

When the first stage is completed, I wonder how many people will use it. Assuming most journeys to Polis start in Paphos rather than rather than coming from the motorway, will people bother driving out to Agia Marinouda just to drive along another two-lane road to Polemi, which will likely be no faster than the B7? If it's underused, people may then argue that the project shouldn't continue...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think your assumption is flawed. You are underestimating the amount of people who will use it as a quicker route to Limassol.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:32 pm This article, even if you read it 3 times, tells you nothing why there is a delay, only talks about meetings and meetings...

Some weeks ago I was reading in the press, that the contractor wants nearly 3 years more time and extra 22 million Euros extra money for farious reasons.

I already questioned years ago, after the contract was signed, the low construction costs of 86 million for this difficult project with 2 tunnels etc...

So here part of the article:

"While according to the contracts, the first phase from Agia Marinouda to Stroumpi, with a length of 15 kilometers and a cost of 86 million, should be completed by the end of the year, the Director of the Public Works Department revealed during today’s visit of the MPs that only 35% of the total work has been completed so far. The company is demanding an additional 33 months and another 22 million from the initial agreement for the project’s completion."

Source:
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/local/d ... y-project/

Max
There hasn't been much sense in a lot of the articles. Blaming it on the wrong type of soil was I think an excuse they nicked from British Rail though.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Most of the traffic towards Polis comes from the Limassol direction not from Paphos. Nearly all the goods of the supply chain with transport cars, as well as all tourist buses and rental cars come also from that direction as the two airports are in east of the country and Nicosia is still the main hub.

Specially the big lorries and buses are the ones which create traffic problems on the narrow, hilly road towards Polemi, not the normal cars.

Max
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

I'm not convinced. It's a general rule that most traffic is local. The red plates are a small (if annoying) minority of vehicles, but there are very large numbers of locals who plough between Polis and Paphos every day. Many people live in one area and commute to the other. Courier companies and the like transship in Paphos.

For the western half of Paphos, venturing out to Agia Marinouda won't be worth the time and fuel, and certainly not until the Polis motorway has four lanes, if it ever does. Why would anyone drive further to be stuck behind the same traffic? Even when the new motorway is built, congestion on the B7 will continue to increase because most of the traffic on the route originates within the Paphos district, and the new motorway won't follow the most direct route that most drivers wish to take.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well don't use it then.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

wantoosoon wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm I'm not convinced. It's a general rule that most traffic is local. The red plates are a small (if annoying) minority of vehicles, but there are very large numbers of locals who plough between Polis and Paphos every day. Many people live in one area and commute to the other. Courier companies and the like transship in Paphos.

For the western half of Paphos, venturing out to Agia Marinouda won't be worth the time and fuel, and certainly not until the Polis motorway has four lanes, if it ever does. Why would anyone drive further to be stuck behind the same traffic? Even when the new motorway is built, congestion on the B7 will continue to increase because most of the traffic on the route originates within the Paphos district, and the new motorway won't follow the most direct route that most drivers wish to take.

If you are convinced or not, fact is that the economy of Paphos depends mainly on tourism and some agricultural products like bananas. So everything needed, comes from towns east of Paphos. Most materials for building sites, (iron, bricks, cement) petrol and much more has to be transported by large vehicles also to the Northwest (Polis, Argaka, Pomos, Pyrgos). All these lorries will not enter Paphos when their destination is the Polis area, but use instead the new motorway.
As I mentioned in my post above, the normal car traffic does not create big problems on the old B7 even not at the hill to Tsada but big lorries and tourist buses do.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not only that but one of the selling points was that it would make the inland villages more attractive as places to live for Cypriots wanting to work in Limassol.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

However, from recent reports the whole project is now mired in financial difficulties with the construction company demanding something like 20M to complete it, in recent press reports. If this is true, why was the original quote reflecting the true cost of what is obviously a very expensive project involving 2 tunnels under mountains and removal of tons of soil which is needed to construct the connecting roadways not calculated more accurately?

Dee
Paul

Post by Paul »

I read an article that this new road was to cost 200 million for the 31 kilo meters of road.
If this is right the cost per kilo meter is €6,451,612
just divided the 200 million by 31 and you get the above cost
Ams

Post by Ams »

wantoosoon wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm I'm not convinced. It's a general rule that most traffic is local. The red plates are a small (if annoying) minority of vehicles, but there are very large numbers of locals who plough between Polis and Paphos every day. Many people live in one area and commute to the other. Courier companies and the like transship in Paphos.

Sure, people living in the western part of Paphos may not use the new road, but, hello, some of us live here in the Eastern part and there is a substantial community over here. Not to mention, as others have said, the airport, Pissouri, anyone/supplies coming from Limassol.... I can't wait for the road to be open.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

All of this estimated number of road users of the new road will only help if the additional 20M euros which is being demanded by the construction company to finish the existing contract to build the new road, is forthcoming.

Furthermore, is it a false economy to spend so much money on a single lane road, which will probably need to be upgraded to a dual carriageway in due course- at further cost?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It puzzles me if it is a single-carriageway how do you get past the heavily laden wagons.. It is still going to be an incline up to the far side of Stroumbi.
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They were doing more work at the Stroumbi end again today.