Best snorkelling areas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kjthom_3

Best snorkelling areas

Post by Kjthom_3 »

My wife and I love snorkelling. I got told off by police for snorkelling at Agios Georgios, :oops: so we’re looking for other spots. I’ve heard Latchi might be good
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Best snorkelling areas

Post by Dominic »

The Municipal Baths end of Paphos Sea Front
White River Beach - beyond Agios Georgios. Follow the Akamas Road until you get to the road block, then walk down to the beach.
Pomos Harbour
Aphrodite's Secret Beach - up by Aphrodite's Baths
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Latchi is great. As Dominic said, Aphrodite's beach for sure. There's also Ttakkas beach a little before that (I see a turtle there around 50% of the time) and there's also a lovely cove between the 2 - you have to drive across a field (there's a path) and then hike down to the little beach - gorgeous sea there.

I like Paphos harbour too (municipal baths near Bania but do a wide circle as far as the line of rocks jutting out to sea then over to the breakwater on the other side) - there's a lot of fish, the ancient Roman submerged wall, bits of old pottery, a couple of anchors, and again I often see a turtle. But remember to keep some distance from the turtles.

I've never heard of anyone told off for snorkelling at Agios Georgios before - I go there once a twice a summer but keep away from the boats and snorkel around the rocks on the right.

Again as Dominic said, White River beach is heaven for snorkelling - the sea is a stunning inviting colour. But it's exposed so check the wind forecast to find a calm day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Apparently the police have been having a crackdown. Too many people swimming near the boats or something.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

I think at Agios Georgios its ok to snorkel to the right (as you stand and look out to sea.) of the 2 small boats that are moored permanently in the middle. As boats come in they tend to keep to the harbour side of a the small boats or go between the two. I've been going there for over 20 years and was told that a long time ago. Over the years I've noticed more and more people snorkelling around the fishing boats looking for the turtles I presume. There has always been a no swimming sign where the trucks drive down to the boats.
Kjthom_3

Post by Kjthom_3 »

I think I was too near the boats. I’ll stick to right hand side in future. Worse thing is I saw a father and son stoking one of the turtles! I have a long pole on the end of my GoPro so I don’t need to get very close
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Best not to get too close the big male bites😂