Travel Medication

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PolemIan

Travel Medication

Post by PolemIan »

Do anybody have any experience of using the Vaccination centre at Paphos General Hospital for travel vaccinations? I’m interested to know what type of malaria tablets they typically dispense. Was in there earlier this week but on my long list of questions I missed that one.

Ian
Ams

Re: Travel Medication

Post by Ams »

I can't answer your specific question about the general hospital travel clinic but I know from speaking to my GP that you cannot get Malarone malaria tablets in Cyprus (or the generic version) and they're the ones I like to take since you don't need to take them for as long and they haven't given me any side effects (I've used them at least twice before).

When my doctor looked it up the other week she said you could only get Lariam here, which I'm not sure is right as I thought that's the type with the most common side effects.

Personally I'm trying to get Malarone through a friend in the UK.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A friend of mine needed the Malaria jab ( along with several others) before a trip to the Far East.
He had all his jabs at the General Hospital, but one-of them had to be ordered which took a week.
So best you ask at the General to make sure.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Ams wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm I can't answer your specific question about the general hospital travel clinic but I know from speaking to my GP that you cannot get Malarone malaria tablets in Cyprus (or the generic version) and they're the ones I like to take since you don't need to take them for as long and they haven't given me any side effects (I've used them at least twice before).

When my doctor looked it up the other week she said you could only get Lariam here, which I'm not sure is right as I thought that's the type with the most common side effects.

Personally I'm trying to get Malarone through a friend in the UK.
Thanks for sharing. Our Personal Doctor also recommended Malarone / Maloff as he took it on a similar trip. As you say it’s available over the counter in the UK and my wife had a chat with the staff in Boots a few days ago whilst over there to understand their process. Don’t like the sound of Lariam, so will be interesting what they say when we actually have our appointment at Paphos. They did say the malaria tablets are free which may be more important to some.

Will update this post in due course for reference.

Ian