ETIAS timeline

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mark4007

ETIAS timeline

Post by mark4007 »

One of the major benefits of getting a biometric card (rather than just keeping a yellow slip) is being in a special position as regards to ETIAS. In theory holders of the biometic card do not have to go through the ETIAS proceedure.

however, It is not clear to me what practical benefits of having a bimotric card will confer at an EU border.

Will UK citizens with the biometic card be treated as EU citizens? or will they have to queue up at borders with all other non EU passport holders? In particular will a UK passport holder with a biometric card, be in the same queue as those UK nationals who have gone through ETIAS but who will still need to have their biometric details taken on first entry at an EU border? As any non US citizen who has travelled to the US on a similar US visa waiver scheme will atest this can be a time consuming and frustrating experience.

Originally ETIAS was due to be rolled out in 2020.. but it keeps getting pushed back. It feels like it is always just over a year before its introduced... now it is planned to be introduced from mid 2025.. see

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias-t ... %20EES)%20.

I would be surprised if this sticks.. but even if it does it will be of little comfort to those who, after being encouraged to do so were "upgraded" from a yellow slip, paid 30 Euros and went through the admin, and obtained a MUKW1 biometric card in 2021.. They may see that card expire (MUKW1 has an expiry date of 5 years after issue) perhaps, at best, few months after ETIAS is introduced..

I remain unconvinced of the need to "upgrade" a yellow slip to an MUKW1 at this time...
clive of payia

Re: ETIAS timeline

Post by clive of payia »

As far as I am aware, It isn't compulsory YET, for holders of "Yellow Slips" with no expiry date issued before Brexit to change to the Biometric card, convenient, yes. If your travel is between the UK and Cyprus ONLY, i.e.between two countries not in the Schengen zone, the Yellow Slip is only required when you re-enter Cyprus and your UK passport is not stamped.

Since coming to Cyprus 22 years ago, I and others have been through four changes to our residency documents. With the chaotic state the EU is going through and elections in June, we could see more dramatic changes affecting immigration, so I will wait till next year before re-acquainting myself with the atmosphere and decor of the Paphos immigration centre.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that an MUKW1, like the MEU1 before it, is only supposed to last for 5yrs. What you should do now is to Apply for the MUKW3 - which lasts for 10yrs....
Like you I am not clear whether the MUKW3 will be accepted at all EU borders, once UK residents are required to obtain ETIAS visas.

Wonder if any one knows how this requirement in due course for an ETIAS visa may or may not affect Brits already living within the EU?
holitec

Post by holitec »

Looking at https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/f ... ific-cases and it does say the following:-

ETIAS is a travel authorisation that covers nationals of visa-exempt countries coming to the EU for short-term stays. If you have a residence permit, residence card, or a document issued by any of the European countries requiring ETIAS which authorises your stay, you do not need an ETIAS travel authorisation.

It would imply that holders of MEU1/2/3 or UKW1/2/3 should not need a visa.

Digby