Lodging of Wills with the Court

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Lodging of Wills with the Court

Post by kansas »

Several years ago we had codicils included in our Wills to the effect that we wished them to be governed by the law of our nationality which is English law. This was on the advice of our lawyer, who is not the executor.

Since then we have stored our Wills safely at home but have now decided to lodge them with the Paphos Court.

Can anyone, who has done this recently, give advice on what we need to take along plus any pros, cons, etc.

Many thanks
Rawdonfolk

Re: Lodging of Wills with the Court

Post by Rawdonfolk »

Took mine last year, the process was very smooth albeit it felt a bit antiquated, all I needed was ID for which I used my passport, I did use a solicitor who came with me but didn't have to do anything.
MAE68

Post by MAE68 »

Do you happen to have the wording in the codicil- I didn’t get around to doing this when the advice was first given but am now thinking it is good idea to add to our Cypriot wills
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

There are two offices at the court, first one for taking the appropriate fee in postage stamps and one at the rearer the concluding part, where the man takes your will.
He enters it in to a book all details you sign and he seals it up and places in a cabinet. all very simplified if not antiquated a bit. Make a copy for yourself which he endorses and gives you details of the will book and number of the will kept. The whole thing takes no longer that 15 minutes.no need for any legal representative to attend.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I suppose you then have to notify all those who are in the will, where it is being kept
Trev..
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Just keep a copy of the will (court details) with your original and no problems
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks all. Does the Court keep the original Will?
kansas

Post by kansas »

MA68. This is the wording on our Will:

Holder of British Passport Number ...........
I Direct that the succession of my assets in Cyprus (which are within the Brussels IV zone according to the European Succession Regulation No. 650/2012) shall be governed by the Law of my nationality, that is English Law).

However, I should get it checked out by a lawyer as this codicil was drawn up before Brexit.
MAE68

Post by MAE68 »

Thank you. I will do that.
jeba

Post by jeba »

When you choose the applicable law, does that affect taxation as well (there is inheritance tax in my home country)?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It is not neccesary for the court to keep any wills. We have registered our wills and they are kept at home. They will be acted on under the UK law as that is what is written in the will.
All things are possible