Artificial Intelligence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Artificial Intelligence

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Do you think artificial intelligence is a good thing ? Seems to work for Elvis fans - Its been around for fifteen years now with Elvis since he sang with Celine Dion and now you can see full concerts but is this just hanging onto the past or the way forward.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lesliekatz ... cfceebb337
WHL

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by WHL »

Not for me.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think the real issues with AI have to do with Elvis impersonations, to be honest. In my dabblings with it (Chat GPT etc) I haven't been that impressed to be honest. At the moment it is very unreliable. Also it is biased. Ask it if you should be proud to be black. Then ask it if you should be proud to be white, and see the different responses.

Mind you, it is a reflection on the quality of the internet itself, so you shouldn't expect too much. But it is in a lot of places now. If you read an article with lots of flowery phrases that doesn't actually tell you anything, it was probably generated by AI.

Unfortunately though, a lot of people will put up with it, if they think they are getting something on the cheap. Helpdesks will be replaced by even worse AI versions which will be monumentally bad. They already have it in Social Media. Try getting help for an issue you have on Youtube or Facebook as a creator, and you may as well howl at the moon.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

We already have AI helpdesks, as in 'chat' with companies.

A complete and utter waste of time, trying to confer with a machine that hasn't a clue what you're talking about.

Added to that, if you try to phone, it's nightmare, the long list of press 1 for this, 2 for that, etc etc, when you've gone through all the options, usually about, twenty nine, there isn't one that is suits your needs, then to add insult to injury, you're disconnected. Helpdesks as we knew them, are no longer.

That's if you are able to get through in the first place, as the required number is 'experiencing a high number of calls'!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with you Firefly. Particularly when I'm trying to get through to a real live person in a UK.utility co! Eventually you have navigated all their automated options and you think at last you have got to the right section. Only to find out that you are speaking to a chat bot, who hasn't been programmed to deal with your query! This after wasting 45 mins on hold in a queue...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Already at the stage where it is difficult to believe what is real and what is fabricated so it is easy to manipulate the masses.