Tipping point for waiting staff

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tipping point for waiting staff

Post by Paphos Life »

It’s a misconception that service charges on bills go towards staff wages In the tourist haven of Cyprus, tipping at bars and restaurants isn’t as straightforward as it might seem, but rather a juxtaposition of discretion and tradition. Shaped by a law from 1968 that links service charges with the

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Tipping point for waiting staff

Post by Dominic »

Abolish all tipping and pay staff a living wage. People should not be dependent on the whims of others to earn their coin.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

If I am happy with the food served and the staff friendly enough I always leave a small tip for the waiter. I can see, I am not alone when out at Timi Fish Tavern and the tip box, which is of glass, got plenty of tips from their customers, which are mainly locals beside Russians and Chinese.

What a poorly written article, repeating the same thing over and over.... :roll:

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'The 1968 law says that service charges are always included in the bill, making every tip optional. Not tipping isn’t unusual, it’s just up left to the customer'.

There are a number of low paid jobs in Cyprus where leaving a tip is not an option, so why should people in the hospitality sector be treated any differently?
WHL

Post by WHL »

If you have a death wish, go into any restaurant in the usa, and get up to leave without leaning a tip :shock: