Internet protection.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Internet protection.

Post by Chaddy »

There are of course many large and sometimes reputable well known companies that will sell you protection from your computer getting attacked scammed and infected by all sorts of nasty things.
Two very very Hi tech guys ( one earns a living at it ) down at the pub and others agreeing with them said that this protection was not necessary,you are already protected ( oh and they only had one beer each ).
Now my question is,how can these protection firms stay in business selling a product nobody needs :?
J B

Re: Internet protection.

Post by J B »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:25 pm
Now my question is,how can these protection firms stay in business selling a product nobody needs :?
Simply by scaremongering - simple as that!
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Strange that you should ask this question, because I started asking it myself a day or two ago. For many years, I have been paying $60 or thereabouts for a complete protection system, which worked fine and certainly protected me from myriad boo-boo's. It was certainly the best system in the sub-hundred dollar category. I fairly recently changed my main working computer and, being a lazy bugger, I didn't transfer the protection system. In the few weeks since the changeover, I have not noticed any difference and, in any case, it was due for renewal of the subscription, which I did not do. Of course, I keep the Windows constantly updated so it would seem that their Defender system is probably sufficient. I guess the only real difference would be timing; my old one updated their protection twice a day whereas Defender is updated in 2 to 4 weeks, so it would be just possible for malware to be squeezed in the gap. I'm given to understand that my Internet host also gives some basic protection.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I am informed (by a reliable source) that I do not need anti virus anymore for my new laptop. However, what does concern me is how to remove cookies, do I still need Ccleaner does anyone know please?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:40 pm I am informed (by a reliable source) that I do not need anti virus anymore for my new laptop. However, what does concern me is how to remove cookies, do I still need Ccleaner does anyone know please?
Yes, I still use CCleaner, which is not designed as a malware detector – it was transferred in the changeover mentioned earlier.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil, thank you.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.