Electric Cars - Caveat Emptor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Electric Cars - Caveat Emptor

Post by Devil »

(Curmudgeon-sarcasm on) we all know that electric cars are totally useless in cold weather and the hot weather. There have been any number of posts on the media giving examples of how electric cars don't work, except in temperate climates. (Curmudgeon-sarcasm off)
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

Devil wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:00 pm (Curmudgeon-sarcasm on) we all know that electric cars are totally useless in cold weather and the hot weather. There have been any number of posts on the media giving examples of how electric cars don't work, except in temperate climates. (Curmudgeon-sarcasm off)
That doesn't seem to be the case with the link I posted🤣
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:06 pm That doesn't seem to be the case with the link I posted🤣
Of course it doesn't seem the case! But if you believe everything you can read on the social websites, then you would know that EV's can work only between about 25° C and 30° C. Pebbles will say anything to try and justify a point of view when no justification is possible.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:06 pm That doesn't seem to be the case with the link I posted🤣
Of course it doesn't seem the case! But if you believe everything you can read on the social websites, then you would know that EV's can work only between about 25° C and 30° C. Pebbles will say anything to try and justify a point of view when no justification is possible.
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

Devil wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:38 pm
Sorry,im not quite with you.My link was to a you tube posting,not some social website nonsense, where 2 Scotsmen have actually driven from pole to pole in an ev.There was an item on the Scottish news about them couple of weeks back
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sorry, if I misled you. My first sentence shows that I agreed with you and the rest is an indication of some of the nonsense that you can read on the social media. Of course, with sensible usage, EV's are suitable for any climate.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Which is all very good but not everyone wants to have Arctic Trucks following them towing a 5 kw wind generator turbine and various Solar Panels so that they can charge up the batteries on a regular basis. Obviously a good car by Nissan but still the EV logistics problem. Toyota have now combined with Yamaha to develop a hydrogen powered ICE.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Stopped to help a lady on the motorway who had broken down . She said I have run out of petrol , but I said you have an all electric car . She said yes I know , the petrol is for the charging machine in the boot that came with the car and I forgot to fill it this morning .
lefkes.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Aargent wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 pm
Which is all very good but not everyone wants to have Arctic Trucks following them towing a 5 kw wind generator turbine and various Solar Panels so that they can charge up the batteries on a regular basis. Obviously a good car by Nissan but still the EV logistics problem. Toyota have now combined with Yamaha to develop a hydrogen powered ICE.
Toyota can sit around fiddling around with a hydrogen ICE if it wants to but even if it could overcome the techincal challenges its going to be too late.

China is by far the biggest car market in the workd. The US the second biggest but is only half the size of the chinese market.

Japanese and German car manufacturers rely on selling cars in China and the US. Toyota has produced the highest selling car model for most of the last 20 years in the US.

In 2023 a revolution is happening in car sales in China, Electric cars are starting to take over the market.

This year the Tesla model Y is likely to be the top selling car (thats any car .. not just top selling EV) in China. It may also be the top selling car in the world this year. The Tesla model Y is an expensive EV.

The BYD Seagul is likely to take the second slot in China. This car was only launched in April this year. It is an EV that costs less than 10K.

Japanese car sales in China are already in sharp decline. Some Japanese car manufacturers are already closing down operations. It is likely that German Car sales will follow suit in 2024.

The decline in sales in 2024 of japanese and german cars in China alone will devaste these brands.

By the end of 2024 Pie in the sky projects like hydrogen ICE will be forgot about.

Toyota and VW have a real batlle to keep being the biggest car manufacturers. If they are going to compete they have to start producing cars cheaper and have good Battery EVs that customers want to buy.

Hydrogen fuel cells may have more of a future but personally I think the window for their development is closing rapidly.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

The main reason that the Chinese are buying EVs is the fact that they are cheaper than ICE cars. The government is ploughing in huge sums of money to promote them. Only one manufacturer actually makes a profit the rest just get a handout to cover their losses. It is a strategy to take over the global market. However, all the major nations ae well aware of it and you can expect tariffs to be levied on Chinese imports when they expand into foreign markets due to the fact that these practices are not considered legal. The elephant in the room is , of course Taiwan, should China ever invade the certain sanctions and the possible war will drastically effect their ambitions.
Alastair

Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I was talking to some people who had lived and worked in China. When they lived there Foreign cars imported to China had an 85% tax on them, obviously only the very rich could afford them. But if say range rover built a factory there the tax was less
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm I was talking to some people who had lived and worked in China. When they lived there Foreign cars imported to China had an 85% tax on them, obviously only the very rich could afford them. But if say range rover built a factory there the tax was less
Which is why most foregn branded cars sold in China are built in China
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Aargent wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:42 am The main reason that the Chinese are buying EVs is the fact that they are cheaper than ICE cars. The government is ploughing in huge sums of money to promote them. Only one manufacturer actually makes a profit the rest just get a handout to cover their losses. It is a strategy to take over the global market. However, all the major nations ae well aware of it and you can expect tariffs to be levied on Chinese imports when they expand into foreign markets due to the fact that these practices are not considered legal. The elephant in the room is , of course Taiwan, should China ever invade the certain sanctions and the possible war will drastically effect their ambitions.
Its pure speculation as to what the intentions of the chinese state officials are.. but just like in the US with the IRA there are huge amounts of subsidies being given to battery manufacturers / car companies in domestic markets for the US and China.

Saying that other nations / economic blocks (such as tge EU) are going to incease tarrifs on chinese EVs misses the point. Japanese and German branded car manufacturers rely on the chinese car market for large amounts of their sales and profits.

It is not just price but the quality of chinese branded cars that is turning domestic consumers in china to domestic brands. If that happens in sufficint numbers then japanese and German car companies are at risk..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

mark4007 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:34 am
Aargent wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:42 am The main reason that the Chinese are buying EVs is the fact that they are cheaper than ICE cars. The government is ploughing in huge sums of money to promote them. Only one manufacturer actually makes a profit the rest just get a handout to cover their losses. It is a strategy to take over the global market. However, all the major nations ae well aware of it and you can expect tariffs to be levied on Chinese imports when they expand into foreign markets due to the fact that these practices are not considered legal. The elephant in the room is , of course Taiwan, should China ever invade the certain sanctions and the possible war will drastically effect their ambitions.
Its pure speculation as to what the intentions of the chinese state officials are.. but just like in the US with the IRA there are huge amounts of subsidies being given to battery manufacturers / car companies in domestic markets for the US and China.

Saying that other nations / economic blocks (such as tge EU) are going to incease tarrifs on chinese EVs misses the point. Japanese and German branded car manufacturers rely on the chinese car market for large amounts of their sales and profits.

It is not just price but the quality of chinese branded cars that is turning domestic consumers in china to domestic brands. If that happens in sufficint numbers then japanese and German car companies are at risk..
It is not speculation on my part I am just going by what Chairman Xi said in his New Year Address regarding Taiwan.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/01/econ ... index.html
Alastair

mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

I thought the discussion was about cars and your suggestion that the chinese state was trying to take over the global market.

I didnt realise your main point was about a place (Taiwan) that barely any country in the world recognises as a soverign state, and that China has always maintained is part of China... So yep.. that part of your comments wasnt speculation...
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Does anyone agree that its strange that this topic for discussion has now had more views than any other topic in the general discussion area...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's how the internet works these days. Posts get shared on different sites, and some go viral. People who can accurately predict how to make viral content tend to end up very wealthy.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:59 am That's how the internet works these days. Posts get shared on different sites, and some go viral. People who can accurately predict how to make viral content tend to end up very wealthy.
And here was me thinking that it was my outstanding choice of topic, my sharp and dazzling delivery , my quick witted intelligent and well researched responses and , of course my amazing good looks that was attracting all the Views. Ah Well ! Maybe I should join Tik Tok.
Alastair

Aargent

Post by Aargent »

This thread started regarding the big drop in second hand prices of used EVs. It now appears that Hertz are adding to that and are going to replace 20,000 EVs with ICE cars.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 024-01-11/
Alastair

71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Read this about a week ago and its not just Hertz - The car hire companies must have been given some sort of incentive to make major changes to their Car Hire Fleets to change to EV's - There is a field near the M180 in the Uk and its full of Tesla's - All new and all Hire cars that have not been used - People don't want to hire an electric vehicle mainly because nobody knows where the charge points are so you are better off with a petrol or diesel vehicle - Bad enough in the UK but imagine hiring one in a foreign location - At The moment they are turning out to be a no go vehicle