Update on crematorium?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Update on crematorium?

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:46 pm It's so costly to repatriate a deceased loved one
If cost is a criterion, then why cremate? My wife and I decided years ago that when either of us kicked the bucket, then the other one would bury the deceased. She died about a year ago and was buried in the local village cemetery without any fuss or carry on. The total costs were under €1500 including transport, undertakers' fees, coffin, burial site and help from the communal authorities.

Also, as an environmentalist, I would not consider cremation as viable. Providing an approved coffin for transport is alone quite costly and am pretty sure that the airlines would add many kopecks to the bill with a few more for the accompanying passengers, as well as spitting out large quantities of greenhouse gases for their pain. Burial or immersion in the sea would certainly be far cheaper and environmentally preferable.

The main objection to burial seems to be the 5 or 6 m² of land occupied by the cadaver. In many places, a part of the cemetery housing all the 20-or 25-year-old cadavers is dug up to make room for new ones – land is thus recycled – while any bones or objects are reverentially placed in a charnel house. Some other countries simply burn any remains that are dug up, without ceremony.

We have been burying bodies for many thousands of years as being the best environmental and economic method of disposing of them. It does not make sense to seek polluting methods of disposing of the bodies.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Cremation has been carried out for centuries too, so nothing new there, pollution or not. It's down to personal choice now, surely.

MOH wanted to be cremated, he asked that his ashes be placed into my coffin when I die, as I have arranged a woodland burial for myself. That has been agreed with the owners of my resting place. A Silver Birch tree will be planted over us, and hopefully, will flourish, so environmentally friendly.

If one has a burial at sea, then surely a boat big enough to transport the deceased, and those attending the proceedings, will be required, which will not be environmentally friendly as I see it. Unless it has oars, lots of them!

Pros and cons.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

A couple of million cremations is a splash in the Ocean when compared to Chinas 2023 record for approving Coal fired power stations at a rate of two a week which will burn all day and every day - It makes other countries efforts to cut greenhouse gases a futile exercise

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... als-carbon
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

To avoid hassle and expense to those remaining we've arranged for our bodies to be donated for medical research
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:35 am To avoid hassle and expense to those remaining we've arranged for our bodies to be donated for medical research
A very worthy act well done you two.