Update on crematorium?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Update on crematorium?

Post by kansas »

Has anyone heard what's the latest with regard to the crematorium. We've been keeping an eye on the Ayia Varvara industrial estate, where it was reportedly going to be constructed, but can't see any work being carried out......
micky

Re: Update on crematorium?

Post by micky »

Not sure about the latest on the crematorium in Ayia Varvara, but it might be in the planning phase or facing delays.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cyprus population is over 90 % Orthodox , according to their faith, cremation is a sin, so it comes down to is there enough demand to make this a commercial success, I don't know the maths but I'm guessing there will not be enough demand to make this venture a business that would bring a profit to its investors,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But the investors obviously think otherwise
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Gibraltar has a crematorium, and their population is less than 40,000, which is about the same amount as the number of British expats living in the Paphos area.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 pm Gibraltar has a crematorium, and their population is less than 40,000, which is about the same amount as the number of British expats living in the Paphos area.
I hope they do open one, it would make things alot easier.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well the catapult I am erecting at the Akamas Lighthouse to fire me into the Med is still going according to plan.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:58 am Well the catapult I am erecting at the Akamas Lighthouse to fire me into the Med is still going according to plan.
Go big or go home,
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As I see it, the figures don't and cannot add up as a private enterprise. Consent granted by the Department of the Environment does not mean that such an enterprise would be financially viable or approved by other government -controlled bodies
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:03 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 pm Gibraltar has a crematorium, and their population is less than 40,000, which is about the same amount as the number of British expats living in the Paphos area.
And a lot cheaper too.
I was quoted €5,000 for a body to be repatriated to the UK for cremation and return of ashes to Cyprus about 5-6 years ago!
That didn't include a service or anything, literally just as described above - no frills!
staffie

Post by staffie »

WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:01 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:03 pm
And a lot cheaper too.
I was quoted €5,000 for a body to be repatriated to the UK for cremation and return of ashes to Cyprus about 5-6 years ago!
That didn't include a service or anything, literally just as described above - no frills!
Ive heard of funeral directors here sending to Bulgaria, for much less.
Amelia60

Post by Amelia60 »

Are the Cypriots quite happy for this to be put in place ? for me I believe what ever country we move to its because we want to be part of the ways of the locals who for many years was apposed to this idea .. in the uk as we know we can get very annoyed when other nationalities come here and start to demand this and that and we normally say if they don't like the way of out country why come here ... just wondering if the locals think that of us
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Some do!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think main objections come from the Greek Orthodox Church. But under EU dictats every EU country needs to have a Crematorium. Greece has one.

From what I've read in todays 'Telegraph newspaper the Palestinians of a certain London Borough don't seem too concerned about offending indigenous Brits.
WHL

Post by WHL »

You come out with some corkers, :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Will being cremated mean that you won´t have to be resting on a cemetary (which will come with a cost to my kids)? When my dad died in Germany he was cremated. However, I was not allowed to take his ashes with me, but the urn had to be buried at a cemetery (meanwhile this has changed though). I wonder whether it will be the same here.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

At the moment I don't know anyone who's asked this question, jeba. But certainly around Paphos and the villages nearby where a number of British expats live, the village cemeteries are full and new sites for cemeteries have had to be found. As this is an island, with limited suitable land, perhaps locals won't object if some expats choose to-be cremated, as this may relieve the pressure on local cemeteries. Maybe there will be an option for the deceased's ashes to be scattered instead, if that's what this person wished, and the descendants have agreed to use this option.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If the crematorium should be built, would ashes be allowed to be repatriated to the UK I wonder.

It's so costly to repatriate a deceased loved one, to the UK for cremation.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.