Masks and mandatory tests following Covid 'outbreak'

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Masks and mandatory tests following Covid 'outbreak'

Post by Paphos Life »

Negative Covid tests and mask use will be mandatory in nursing homes, hospitals, outpatient clinics, dentists, and facilities for vulnerable groups, a meeting of the Covid-19 scientific advisory committee with Health Minister Popi Kanari decided on Wednesday. The measures are set to be ratified at an upcoming cabinet meeting on

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Masks and mandatory tests following Covid 'outbreak'

Post by Kili01 »

I was expecting that something was about to be done to try to reduce the spread of Covid. But I think it would also be sensible to wear a mask when in a Pharmacy or a Supermarket as well.
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

Why masks?
They've been proven to be ineffective.
I had hoped that we were past the covid hysteria generally now.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Holidaymaker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:01 pm Why masks?
Where has it been proved that masks are ineffective ???? Hospital staff wear them !!!
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Holidaymaker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:01 pm Why masks?
Masks are effective, if and when worn properly and if you use the right ones. Of course, if they're worn around the chin and not sealing tightly, their effectiveness decreases.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Here's an up-to-date report that states that they are effective.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newslett ... ience-says

Not 100% effective. What is? But they certainly help.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

Sorry Dominic, but that is just someone offering an opinion, based on no actual facts.
No evidence is presented.
There have been scant few scientific studies carried out.
One of the few real studies that was carried out was in Norway and that found that masks did nothing to prevent the spread of covid.
In fact, it is likely that masks actually caused a greater susceptibility to covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37952983/

Whatever anyone’s beliefs, my view is - if some people chose to put themselves at risk by wearing a mask and chose to hide their face, go ahead.
But I will never wear one.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thing is you cant enter a hospital etc without a mask, I have a appointment on Monday and I won't be cancelling for trivial advice.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Holidaymaker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:08 pm Sorry Dominic, but that is just someone offering an opinion, based on no actual facts.
One of the few real studies that was carried out was in Norway and that found that masks did nothing to prevent the spread of covid.
In fact, it is likely that masks actually caused a greater susceptibility to covid.

Whatever anyone’s beliefs, my view is - if some people chose to put themselves at risk by wearing a mask and chose to hide their face, go ahead.
Interesting.

When looking at the reporting of scientific / medical studies, how would you interpret a comment in a medical study like this one?:

“ However, it is important to note that this association may be due to unobservable and non-adjustable differences between those wearing and not wearing a mask. Therefore, caution is imperative when interpreting the results of this and other observational studies on the relationship between mask wearing and infection risk.”

Ian

Ian
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

There are trials, Tests and studies by many countries across the world all over the internet and most have different opinions on whether wearing a mask is a good thing or a bad thing - But in general masks were invented for a reason to prevent the ingress of matter in many different forms from gases to particulate and generally they REDUCE the intake of these contaminants normally on inhalation - most are not designed for exhalation so if you have Covid and wear a mask you could easily spread it if out and about or mingling - However if Holidaymaker will never wear one and it returns to masks to be worn in all public places,
Then Holidaymaker will be a Holidaymaker no longer until the curse is lifted
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Holidaymaker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:08 pm Sorry Dominic, but that is just someone offering an opinion, based on no actual facts.

The opinion offered was based on the writers interpretation of various reports etc. The report you quoted was not investigating the use of face masks. It was investigating the use of glasses. The facemask observation arrived when they looked at the results of the questionairre they posed at the end of a randomised test. At no point was the question "Why do you wear a mask?" asked. So a person who worked at a hospital - a high COVID risk area - would be compared to, say, a carpenter working alone. In such instances, the fact that the hospital worker was more at risk would be of no surprise to anybody.

Put it another way. You could observe through a randomised sample that people who use an aqualung are more likely to drown than people who don't. This would of course be silly. You should compare people who use an aqualung to people who free-dive, and see how many drown while swimming.
jeba

Post by jeba »

The problem with masks is that they have to be worn correctly to be fully effective. And of course you need to use proper masks for full protection. Those you can buy for 10 Cents may offer some protection against infection via droplets but hardly against infection via aerosols. Personally, I'm using FFP3 masks rather than FFP2, and I've so far avoided catching covid (as confirmed by blood test last week).
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We've all seen chin masks, and I don't think anybody is claiming that they will help prevent COVID.
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

You do all realise that the idea of face masks was only introduced to make people more aware of covid?
There was never any scientific evidence that they did anything.
Unfortunately, many people (as evidenced by some of the replies on here) fell for it and are now wed to the idea that masks are their salvation from a virus that was only ever really unsafe to people in their 80’s.
I didn’t wear a mask and have never had covid.
I know of numerous people who have clung onto their face nappy and who have had covid more than once (or so they say - many probably just had a bad cold) - Joe (double mask) Biden being a prime example.
As said - you make a fool of yourself if you wish.
I won’t be doing so.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

COVID killed a good friend of mine in his Fifties. I have no time for your nonsense though.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Holidaymaker wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:25 am You do all realise that the idea of face masks was only introduced to make people more aware of covid?
There was never any scientific evidence that they did anything.
Unfortunately, many people (as evidenced by some of the replies on here) fell for it and are now wed to the idea that masks are their salvation from a virus that was only ever really unsafe to people in their 80’s.
I didn’t wear a mask and have never had covid.
I know of numerous people who have clung onto their face nappy and who have had covid more than once (or so they say - many probably just had a bad cold) - Joe (double mask) Biden being a prime example.
As said - you make a fool of yourself if you wish.
I won’t be doing so.
My daughter is a Doctor in the UK and had the task of telling people that their loved ones had died many were young, you carry on living in your world, and let the grown ups live in ours.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Holidaymaker,
Are you a resident of the UK? I have come across some people there.who have strange ideas re wearing masks. In the UK there was an aversion to the word mask. The term there was 'face covering'
Face coverings were flimsy fabric items useless as a mask. Introduced because the UK was woefully short of all types of PPE. In Cyprus the Govt were better prepared. Our lockdown started before the UK 's and they were strict and enforced. We had to wear masks, proper ones,
Whether you are a visitor or a resident here why not keep your views to your self.

Anyway wearing a mask , plus a neg lateral flow test or PCR test result is required now to visit any medical centre or doctor as well as a dental surgery. No arguement.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Still keeping to my personal health and safety measures including sanitising areas such as ATMs prior to use - amazing the filth that appears on the disposable disinfectant wipe used to clean various surfaces - for reasons other than Covid.

Makes sense for extra precautions to be used in clinical areas and agree that Pharmacies and similar establishments should be included.
As Jeba writes earlier masks must be worn properly in order to be effective.

These preventive measures are not just against Covid but the other respiratory ailments that are more prolific at this time of year.
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Been out this morning Saturday looking for a test centre to get a rapid test as I have an appointment at the hospital on Monday at 8am. All places I have tried are shut as it is a saints day . Does anybody know if there is anywhere likely to be open tomorrow , Sunday .
Thanks in advance for any information lefkes.
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

Worth having a look on here.....most pharmacies do rapid tests

https://www.cypruspharmacy.com/