New Bus Stations Announced, And Fare Rises.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

New Bus Stations Announced, And Fare Rises.

Post by Paphos Life »

The Paphos Bus Operator has announced new Bus Stations, Routes and Fares, for 2024. This is a summary of them, complete with maps and photographs so you know where you need to go to get your bus.

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: New Bus Stations Announced, And Fare Rises.

Post by trevnhil »

Although I hardly ever use the buses, I think the price rise is very fair..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The 'new ' bus stop near the Archaeological Park was last summer in constant use by tourist coaches.
I wonder where these coaches will park next summer? The present spot where the busses are parking is right at the back of the car park opposite the Leptos Head Offices. This latter spot is arguably more convenient for its users as it is closer to the shops.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 pm Although I hardly ever use the buses, I think the price rise is very fair..
As someone that is a regular bus user- and this is just my personal observation; but whilst I accept that there has not been an increases in fares since I came here in 2016, some of the pricing structure is crazy in percentage terms, for example my monthly non- personalised (no id photo) will increase from €40 to €60 a 50% increase
so to get round that, I have now changed mine to an ID one which is €50 a month or 25% increase- but saving me €20 a month in the long term

new, old, increase, & % increase, below:
Monthly Personalised € 50.00 € 40.00 € 10.00 25.00%
Monthly Anonymous € 60.00 € 40.00 € 20.00 50.00%

Also according to one of the inspectors I spoke to, all buses are supposed to be changed every 10 years- yet some of the smaller mini buses, like the 648 Polis to Coral Bay route and the 607 Peyia to the Old Town are nearly 18 years old and have ripped seats and very uncomfortable to sit in
So, I hope that the increased revenue will partly help to update these old buses, for safety and to comply with the current regulations

Also, one of the drivers has echoed what a lot of them are also saying, that it is total madness to have the 615 Coral Bay to Paphos Harbour route now terminate at the new bus station opposite McDonalds. That means you would have to either walk down to the harbour or catch the 611 bus incurring extra expense for those users that buy daily tickets... In essence it is going to be interesting to see how the new route will actually work as the buses
will have to struggle to get in and out of a busy main road then proceed to the roundabout opposite the Mall and go round, to circle back to the bus stop nearest Bens' bar, so as to be on the right side of the road to go back to Coral Bay. :roll:
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

I think the rises are far too excessive. Fortunately, we only have to use them while on holiday there.
Makes hiring a car and forgetting using the buses even more attractive now.

As for the new routes - two of the most popular tourist routes (Harbour - Coral Bay and Harbour - Karavella) now require two buses. Barmy idea.
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

Quick question - what's involved with getting a personalised bus pass?
Can tourists have them?
fishbeardsunset

Hi there Yep- any one can apply. It is a plastic card and the "personalised" version" bears your full name and you photo and is applicable for weekly and monthly (30 day passes) All you need to do is have with you,- your passport or other photo ID and they will copy the image electronically onto your card

It can also be topped up on-line as please note the bus depots where they will process the card for you only, accept cash.

I was fortunate that when I swopped mine over from a non personal to a personal they dropped the €2 euro admin charge but that is only a one- off when you first get your card, as it can be renewed/topped up very week or month as stated

Even with the increases my monthly pass now works out at €1.66 day

By comparison, the weekly "anonymous" version has risen from €20 to €35 euros a 75% rise, whilst the "personalised" version will cost €25 euros which is a 25% increase :roll: .
fishbeardsunset

Kili01 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:10 pm The 'new ' bus stop near the Archaeological Park was last summer in constant use by tourist coaches.
I wonder where these coaches will park next summer? The present spot where the busses are parking is right at the back of the car park opposite the Leptos Head Offices. This latter spot is arguably more convenient for its users as it is closer to the shops.
Agreed, location wise- but equally there are a lot of "blind spots" in that area, which gets very congested with tourists and I have very nearly seen an accident waiting to happen, purely because passengers inadvertently walk right in front of the buses without noticing them, whilst the vehicles are "swinging in" to park up :shock:
Holidaymaker

Post by Holidaymaker »

Hi Fishbeardsunset,
Thanks for that information.
We have the Anonymous cards already (cost €2) so will get them changed to personalised ones next time we are there.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Would I be correct in assuming that the anonymous ones can be shared?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Bus fares for Cyprus buses are ridiculously cheap, Buses are expensive and running costs are high, If we want new buses with all the bells and whistles who is going to pay for it?
People on low incomes should get free travel, while others and tourists should pay a bit more perhaps?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Actually they are about the same as bus fairs in the UK. I googled it as I was curious. In London a bus ticket is £1.75.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.