Where ever you go,you,ll meet a Brit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Where ever you go,you,ll meet a Brit

Post by Chaddy »

We,ve had the opportunity to travel extensively during our lives and we have met up with fellow Brits in the most unlikely of places.
Examples.....
We where driving from LA to Las Vegas and decided to stop for breakfast in a small village in death valley called Barstow.Who should serve us,, non other than a Brit from Newcastle.
We where having a meal in Sydney Australia and who should serve us but a young lass who came from the very town where we where from.It gets better.We where exchanging small chat,she asked what we did for a living and she said her father is a customer of ours in the UK.Of course we new him.
And my favourite.We where having a Griswald family Christmas cutting our own christmas tree down in the Georgia mountains US.It was absolutely nowhere in the middle of nowhere.Who should be cutting down the next tree to us?..you,ve guessed it,,a fellow Brit from Burnley.

Have you met up with a Brit in the most unlikely of places?
J B

Re: Where ever you go,you,ll meet a Brit

Post by J B »

Met the guy who drilled our farm borehole ... on Coral Bay Beach a few years back!
J B
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sitting with my wife in vegas waiting to see a Celin Dion concert, I had a tap on my back, guy says to me are you so and so by any chance . It was an old class mate of mine, i hadnt seen for fifty years.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

It does feel weird .. "its a small world"

the most likely reason is that people make decisions based on their own background, experiences and in the cultral enviroment they inhabit.

For example if everyone in your social circle is talking about holidaying in X the chances are that someone in your social circle is having similar discussions in another social circle. Its not that surprising to bump into someone from your home town on holiday..

This can be extended to watching similar TV etc.

We like to think of ourselves as unique ... alas as google and facebook show we are all easily shoeboxed and predictable in our decision making processes.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Many many years ago, being Scottish I was Presbyterian and a believer. I was living in Nicosia and didn't fancy going to the Anglican church so made enquiries and found that Presbyterian services were held in RAF Nicosia. As this was at the height of the "troubles", security was an issue as I was a civilian. I don't remember how but I do remember being allowed into RAF Nicosia for the service. I entered the room, saw there was one vacant chair and sat on it. I greeted the airman sitting next to me, to find that he was a classmate at school, which I had left about eight years earlier
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When my husband and I were on holiday in Germany, we visited a small town on the Rhine. We found a small car park with two levels, we drove to the top floor, that had open views of the town. Only one other car had recently parked there, and the occupants were just getting out. We were rather surprised to see a family we knew, from the same town in Herefordshire.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Wherever we go, we'll meet Dutch people.
Louise :)
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:56 pm Sitting with my wife in vegas waiting to see a Celin Dion concert, I had a tap on my back, guy says to me are you so and so by any chance . It was an old class mate of mine, i hadnt seen for fifty years.
Wow WHL that is a coincidence.Recognising you after fifty years you must not have aged that much ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:11 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:56 pm Sitting with my wife in vegas waiting to see a Celin Dion concert, I had a tap on my back, guy says to me are you so and so by any chance . It was an old class mate of mine, i hadnt seen for fifty years.
Wow WHL that is a coincidence.Recognising you after fifty years you must not have aged that much ;)
He was sitting right behind us, and he said he overheard me speaking to my wife and something reminded him of me, as for not aging when I heard him talking It brought the memories back for me also.
memory man

Post by memory man »

That is truly amazing. :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:02 pm
That is truly amazing. :roll:
Why the rolling eyes?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

And on it goes.We where recently in Cozomel,an island off Mexico.We approached a monument in a small village to take some pics,and who was taking pics there also,,,you,ve guessed it a couple of Brits ( from Doncaster ).