Cameron Back

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Cameron Back

Post by Firefly »

Can't believe that we've got Cameron back, and as foreign secretary at that! As he's a staunch remainer, I don't trust the man an inch in dealings with the rest of Europe.

He lied over the result of the Brexit vote, spat his dummy out and headed for the hills. Why bring him, of all people, back into government.

Not happy!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Cameron Back

Post by Devil »

Could he do any worse than the present incumbents?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They may as well bring Boris Johnson back as PM. He was the only one of the recent shower who was actually voted in.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

Whatever else Boris did, he got Brexit done, which is the main reason why he was voted in, in the first place. Secondly, whatever anyone says, he did a brilliant job over Covid. We could do a lot worse than bring him back, but sadly, according to reports, he refused to come back. Not surprised.

Devil

I don't have much time for any of them, whatever party, they all lie, and most are just out to line their pockets.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm I don't have much time for any of them, whatever party, they all lie, and most are just out to line their pockets.
Agreed! :-(
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

A complete shambles - can only get worse.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm Dominic

Whatever else Boris did, he got Brexit done, which is the main reason why he was voted in, in the first place. Secondly, whatever anyone says, he did a brilliant job over Covid . We could do a lot worse than bring him back, but sadly, according to reports, he refused to come back. Not surprised.

Devil

I don't have much time for any of them, whatever party, they all lie, and most are just out to line their pockets.
Quote. he did a brilliant job over Covid, most laughable post in the history of this forum, my daughter is a consultant in a top UK hospital and she worked through that terrible period, your comment would be comedy gold if it was wasn't so serious
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

WHL wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:40 pm
Firefly wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm Dominic

Whatever else Boris did, he got Brexit done, which is the main reason why he was voted in, in the first place. Secondly, whatever anyone says, he did a brilliant job over Covid . We could do a lot worse than bring him back, but sadly, according to reports, he refused to come back. Not surprised.

Devil

Quote. he did a brilliant job over Covid, most laughable post in the history of this forum, my daughter is a consultant in a top UK hospital and she worked through that terrible period, your comment would be comedy gold if it was wasn't so serious
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 50304.html

https://www.ft.com/content/71965f57-7dd ... cced4a5111
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL my daughter is also employed by the NHS, in a major hospital in the UK, she is responsible for the running of the clinic in the department where she is employed, she regularly confers with consultants on cases, and she has many years experience. She worked through Covid too, I wonder if she knows your daughter, wouldn't that be ironic.

You can believe what the papers say about Boris if you wish, now that is amusing.
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

Firefly wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:46 pm WHL my daughter is also employed by the NHS, in a major hospital in the UK, she is responsible for the running of the clinic in the department where she is employed, she regularly confers with consultants on cases, and she has many years experience. She worked through Covid too, I wonder if she knows your daughter, wouldn't that be ironic.

You can believe what the papers say about Boris if you wish, now that is amusing.
The quotes are not "what the newspapers say" but verbatim reports of scientists' and others evidence in the covid enquiry
This is from the bmj,which isn't a newspaper

https://www.bmj.com/content/383/bmj.p2576
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:46 pm WHL my daughter is also employed by the NHS, in a major hospital in the UK, she is responsible for the running of the clinic in the department where she is employed, she regularly confers with consultants on cases, and she has many years experience. She worked through Covid too, I wonder if she knows your daughter, wouldn't that be ironic.

The only thing i believe in the papers is the date on the top. If your daughter worked through the covid, im sure she would of told you the horror story's of how unprepared and what a balls up the government made of the situation.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL What do you mean IF. She did!

She has never discussed her work during Covid, except how tired she became, but then, she's not a moaner, as some are. As far as unprepared goes, I think that I'm right in saying, that the speed with which the vaccine was developed in the UK was incredible, due to preparation! Did your daughter tell you that?

I think it all boils down to whatever political party you support. For Labour supporters, the Conservatives will always be wrong, no matter what they do.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I don't support any political parties, for me all of them are as bad as each other, you forget orders for protective gear going to friends of those in power, it also must of slipped your mind the millions given for an order to a Turkish T shirt maker, then having RAF planes standing by to fly to Turkey then when the order gets here, it is found to be substandard all this according to you was Boris doing a brilliant job, anyone who really believes that should be doing stand up comedy.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well it's a new job for me then :lol:
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:27 pm Well it's a new job for me then :lol:
2 of Boris'most scathing critics,Chris Witty and Patrick Vallance were Johnson approved appointees,but of course,all those experts giving evidence to the Covid enquiry,and crticising Boris are wrong,and you're right.Right?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Everyone makes mistakes, even you and I, so did Boris, but I was never so relieved and thankful, as when I was offered my vaccination. It's all very well to hold an inquest after the event, but Boris I believe, went with his advisers at the time, as he thought best.

It's not a perfect world, and it's full of imperfect people, some of whom like a bit of the limelight when it's all over, but I for one was grateful to Boris.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

What was the point of having scientific advisors if the politicians were still going to overrule their suggestions which were based on the data at that particular time?
EG https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-tr ... 022-04-27/

Even worse was to endorse one rule for the general public and another for them and their cronies?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It seems to be a criticism of Matt Hancock.

The world was dealing with the unknown. At first, we did not know how the infection was transmitted, and hospitals needed beds, what should they have done?

I have to agree that it at times, it was one rule for us, and quite another for certain members of society. I also know that rules were flouted, by many, in all walks of life. A few I knew personally, one paid with their life, literally.

I see coward Cameron has had a pop at Boris in his speech, very unprofessional, but typical.