Snow flurry in Troodos yesterday afternoon (CM)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Snow flurry in Troodos yesterday afternoon (CM)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It was a short episode, however it tells us Winter is slowly on its way, 4 weeks before Christmas.
I could do without Winter and snow though... ;)

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/11/19/snow ... n-troodos/

Max
Anarita John

Re: Snow flurry in Troodos yesterday afternoon (CM)

Post by Anarita John »

We have done well so far this Autumn. For the past 3 winters we have kept cosy and warm with our aircon units on heat and a couple of oil filled radiators just for a boost. Cost, minimum with our pv panels. Biggest bill so far, €120 and this included heating our pool. We have plenty of electricity in reserve so need not worry how much we use.
However, we will try to be as carbon friendly as possible, only heating the pool when our panels are producing.

I remember the year the new mall opened in early December and it was freezing outside. In previous years we have run our central heating in late November.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Snow flurry in Troodos yesterday afternoon (CM)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:47 pm We have done well so far this Autumn. For the past 3 winters we have kept cosy and warm with our aircon units on heat

However, we will try to be as carbon friendly as possible, only heating the pool when our panels are producing.
Same at my place which is 4-5 c cooler in Autumn and Winter as yours, as I live at 450 m sea level.

As soon as the PV system produces more than 1000 w (7.30 AM at the moment) I switch on the air-con, which means no costs at all to keep the room temperature above 23c in my office and keep the door open to other rooms in the house.

As my house has no insulation at all and large windows this is very important to keep the room temp. high enough to avoid too much temperature losses.

If the room air temperature is 21°C, you should make sure that the surface temperature, for example of the outside walls or windows, does not fall below 18°C. This is because a surface temperature that is too low poses a high risk of heat loss.

Not to forget my self-made hot air heating system which lowers the humidity and brings fresh air in the house, beside increasing the temperature a bit.
It runs independent from power with small PV modules.

Max