Introducing New Feline Friends

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
Firefly

Introducing New Feline Friends

Post by Firefly »

Following the sad demise of one of my rescue cats, a few months ago, I have adopted a neutered male rescue cat of approx 12 yrs. I already have a cat of the same age, who I have had since she was 1 yr old. She has never lived with me as a lone cat, she has always had a neutered male as a companion.

Having had cats for the last sixty odd years, I have never felt the need to tread warily with in introductions, and have just allowed them to find common ground. Now it seems I must keep my cats separate for at least two to three weeks, whilst getting them used to each others' scents, and allowing them to see each other first, through a glass or mesh door, all very well if you have one, I do not.

Do other experienced cat owners think, that we are now over thinking introductions? I have only ever seen the odd initial spit or hiss, between new friends, then all was well.

Thoughts appreciated.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Re: Introducing New Feline Friends

Post by trevnhil »

I think the new ways are not necessary. But I don't speak from experience as I have only ever had one cat at a time.
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks Trevor,

I don't think that they are either. Perhaps I should consult a feline therapist, and ask for a consultation for both :?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just do what you always do if it has always worked.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you Dominic.

I will.

Jackie
micky

Post by micky »

Sometimes we overthink cat introductions. Just go with your gut and keep an eye on them. Cats can be unpredictable, but they often figure things out on their own.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I did just leave them to it, now they are both happy in my home. My little female, who I have had for years, rules the roost, and swipes my new boy, (who I have to say is rather large), over the head if he gets out of line.

Jackie