Cats dying of covid

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Re: Cats dying of covid

Post by memory man »

Unprecedent feline disease outbreak decimating cat population in Cyprus

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... in-cyprus/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Vets plea for drugs as 300,000 cats in Cyprus believed to have perished of infectious disease
(In-Cyprus)

If this statement is factual (doubtful), then it is only a drop in the ocean. Various estimates have been made most of them suggesting that there may be up to 1.5 million stray cats on the island. 300,000 is therefore a mere drop in the ocean, bearing in mind that with a mortality of 90%, that leaves 30,000 survivors, probably able to propagate the disease. It is therefore probable that the cat Population of the island will become totally immune to the disease within half a dozen generations.

In reality, I would anticipate little long-term change.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

galexinda

Post by galexinda »

galexinda wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:50 am I have certainly noticed a huge reduction in the number of outside cats in my area in the past 4-6 months.
They are fed and have water left for them once a week and are left to fend for themselves but apart from rummaging in the bins have never actually
seen them do any 'hunting' and have never found any 'evidence'.
I think the sharp decrease in the numbers of cats in my area is due to inbreeding followed by poor nutrition and no actual care for the cats other than the provision of food and water. Certainly there were some very sickly cats around for a few weeks.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

You're probably right.

Pet cats are usually neutered, vaccinated, chipped, and taken to the vet, if they show signs of sickness. Sadly, feral cats usually have non of this.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The Pancyprian Veterinary Association (PVA) has addressed recent media reports on feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) cases in Cyprus, stating that around 8,000 clinical cases were recorded from January to the first half of July 2023.

Contrary to media claims of 300,000 cat deaths, the PVA emphasised that such figures were speculative and did not reflect the actual situation.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... -vets-say/
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have now read reports of cats dying from bird flu, in Poland.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

In the past few weeks, Cyprus has been facing a distressing situation as the number of sick and dying cats continues to rise at an alarming rate. Experts and pet owners alike have been gripped with concern as a more potent form of feline coronavirus appears to be spreading in the country, resulting in severe sickness and the tragic loss of thousands of cat lives.
https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... oronavirus
memory man

Post by memory man »

Amid covid fears, UK vets warn tourists to avoid Cyprus cats

The British Veterinary Association (BVA), has posted a statement on its website, calling on UK visitors to the island to take precautions against cat covid or feline infectious peritonitis (FIP).

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/07/24/amid ... prus-cats/
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Very sad, poor things.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Hmmm This has given me something to think about. For years I have fed the same stray cat on our patio.. I don't actually contact her but she is there when I put her food bowl out. The bowl is left until the end of the day.. But my dog Max goes on the patio. i have not seen him licking her bowl but it is a possibility.. I shall not leave the bowl out now.. When she has finished feeding the bowl will come in to be washed with boiling water.
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Very sensible. I just hope she survives herself.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

OK, I know the link is from the Daily Mirror but:

''Covid strain that kills cats detected in UK after feline brought virus over from Cyprus

Scientists fear a deadly new strain of Covid-19 brought into Britain by a cat from Cyprus could cause a major outbreak after it is said to have killed around 8,000 felines on the Mediterranean island''.

'The carrier cat, which developed symptoms after testing positive, is undergoing further tests and treatment after being isolated by its owner'.

'Although this strain isn't linked to Covid-19, scientists found the same 'genetic fingerprint' of an existing feline coronavirus and a canine one, called F-CoV-23 in this cat, which was also in the 91 infected cats in Cyprus'.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/covid-str ... d-31414341
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes I have just read this report, poor thing, I hope it can be successfully treated. I have to say that at the moment, I'm not too worried for my feline friends.

That said, we will have to wait and see what happens next, but as with Covid-19, it will be hard to stop it from spreading once it's here. I suppose that unfortunately, it had to happen at some time or other. If our UK vets are already prepared for this, in view of the outbreak in Cyprus, maybe our cats can be vaccinated.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

We are currently inundated with the animals. The other day, I counted eight in our garden of just over 1000 m². We have never fed them nor do I believe that any of our immediate neighbours have done so either. Yet, on the whole, with one exception, they all look plump and healthy over an estimated four generations. I think nature may have disposed of the skinny one as I haven't seen it for a few days. I believe the real problem is that they have no predators; they just go forth and multiply up to the point where they eat themselves out of house and home, a kind of auto-predation.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think that's part and parcel of living in Cyprus, Devil, personally, I would rather feed the cats, and hopefully manage to get them to a vet to be neutered.

I know some don't agree with me, but I could not watch them die for lack of food. As for predators, they have man, enough said.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I would rather feed the cats
No way, Josephine – by so doing you are causing them to proliferate by upsetting the balance of nature
get them to a vet to be neutered.
That's your choice if you want to waste your money – unless you are rich enough to neuter half a million of them
die for lack of food
Very unlikely – they can find plenty to eat in nature. They are quite omnivorous within the balance of nature and do not need human help to proliferate.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

We all have choices Devil.

I have to say, nature doesn't provide much feline food around Paphos. Omnivorous, really? mine are definitely carnivores.

As far as wasting money goes, if I don't spend my money, someone else will.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Well meaning people who go out and feed the cats are only increasing the problem, there are more cats in Cyprus then people, just how many cats do you want on this small island?
Last edited by WHL on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Okay, I chose the wrong word with omnivorous, sorry! But you are saying that there are no birds, no reptiles, no insects, no small mammals et cetera around Paphos? A bit hard to believe, sorry! Particularly, as you have a plethora of establishments with dustbins outside the back door, each being filled just before closing time.