EV cars and parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Re: EV cars and parking

Post by 71 Trans Am »

The New Hyundai SUV has been voted What Car Best Electric SUV of 2023 and you can buy the entry level model for only £54k

https://www.genesis.com/uk/en/models/gv ... RD|Think|-
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

entry level model for only £54k
Sans commentaire!
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

As a scientist perhaps Devil may wish to comment on this innovation in the vehicle industry

https://www.metalectrique.com/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

jagwheels wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:32 pm As a scientist perhaps Devil may wish to comment on this innovation in the vehicle industry

https://www.metalectrique.com/
Okay, I haven't yet really understood what these guys are trying to do, so I cannot give a detailed scientific analysis. Reaching back in my memory, in mid 20th century, we had the birth of cheap, mass, aluminium metal. However, the source was principally a mineral called bauxite. Reduction of bauxite to aluminium metal required huge amounts of electrical energy. For this reason, large hydroelectric plants were built in many countries to provide this energy at an acceptable cost which was low enough to allow the metal to be produced for aircraft, frying pans, and thousands of other uses. The point that I am making is that producing aluminium metal requires huge amounts of energy. In fact, no, not in fact but it must be realised that the cost of, say, a sheet of aluminium is probably 80% energy, the other 20% would represent howking the bauxite, transporting it and disposing of the smelting waste. So, metallic aluminium is actually a form of energy storage; if we oxidise it, we can release that energy in the form of heat or light or, probably in this process, in the form of electrical energy.

So, some of the energy that we have used to smelt the aluminium can be released. In human terms, this can be seen in, for example, flashbulbs, fireworks et cetera.

What I don't know is how this process is exploited in reversible form as is claimed in the article. I can understand that aluminium can release some of the energy required to extract it from the bauxite ore. I could even imagine that catalytic processes may be able to cycle metallic aluminium to an oxide and back again but, if this were done, each successive cycle would probably be weaker. The key point is that if these guys have found a way of producing energy cyclically, it sounds to me too true to be true. However, I may be very wrong; you suggest that I am a scientist – I was in a past life but I'm not really up to speed in this one! Notwithstanding, I hope that I have retained one quality of a scientific: that of believing what I see and not what I am told. Your article therefore evokes in me a slight issue of scepticism on the grounds that I do not know and cannot judge without much more chapter and verse of the pretended process. Sorry!
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Here is a better simpler explanation - Most car companies have people experimenting with a multitude of abundant free or cheap chemicals that produce little or no harmful emissions and can be re-cycled without harm to the environment to produce long term sustainable batteries as it has long been understood that Lithium ion is a dead end road this is just one example of a new type EV battery