EV cars and parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

EV cars and parking

Post by Paul »

To all the members, if you see an EV car in a car park do not park next to it.

Park your car away from them, as there has been many fires in EV cars and they burn 4 time hotter that a normal car fire.

Cars have been set on fire from an EV car fire.

Go on youtube and search for EV car fires and watch the video's.
WHL

Re: EV cars and parking

Post by WHL »

Paul wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:11 pm To all the members, if you see an EV car in a car park do not park next to it.

Park your car away from them, as there has been many fires in EV cars and they burn 4 time hotter that a normal car fire.

A bit of scaremongering, me thinks, has there been one electric car catch alight in Cyprus? The answer is no,
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:28 pm
Paul wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:11 pm To all the members, if you see an EV car in a car park do not park next to it.

A bit of scaremongering, me thinks, has there been one electric car catch alight in Cyprus? The answer is no,
I would think the number and ratio of EV cars compared to other vehicles in Cyprus is far lower than other countries.

I was interested to find out that a neighbour, when having his personal possessions packed by PMR, had to discharge his rechargeable vacuum cleaner battery before they would pack it for transport to the UK.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

galexinda wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:32 pm I was interested to find out that a neighbour, when having his personal possessions packed by PMR, had to discharge his rechargeable vacuum cleaner battery before they would pack it for transport to the UK.
This is a total non sequitur. In the first place, the chemistry of the battery in a vacuum cleaner is not the same as that used in cars. Secondly, the requirement to discharge the battery is to reduce the risk of fire, due to a physical accident causing a short circuit. Thirdly, do you really think that the makers of a vacuum cleaner would stomach the cost of accident prevention as would the makers of an electric vehicle?

It makes a lot of sense to reduce the risk of fire whether in an EV or in a vacuum cleaner but the means and requirements are totally different.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

So you wouldn’t park next to an older vehicle with a leaking fuel pipe you may or may not be able to see that can be triggered by a stray cigarette.

Might as well stay indoors, much safer.

Ian
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 am

So you wouldn’t park next to an older vehicle with a leaking fuel pipe you may or may not be able to see that can be triggered by a stray cigarette.

Ian
It is very unlikely that you will go up in flames if you toss a cigarette butt in a pool of gasoline. Cigarettes tend to burn at a much lower temperature than gasoline, and the fumes from the gasoline are the main burning agent, not the liquid itself. I

One study attempted over 2,000 different scenarios and situations where gasoline and a lit cigarette could interact, and guess what? Not a single attempt resulted in the gasoline catching on fire!
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

I am so looking forward to getting an EV .. they are 100 times less likely to catch fire compared with “normal” cars and with any luck they will now have the added benefit that idiots don’t park near them.

“Normal” cars - those filled with fuel and referred to as ICE cars (standing for internal combustion engines” ( there’s a clue in the name) never go up in flames (apart from the 100,000 per year in the UK that the fire brigade have to deal with).

Oh and in case of doubt .. the source of the fire at Luton airport car park was reportedly a diesel powered Range Rover ..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Aargent wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:38 pm
PolemIan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 am

Ian
It is very unlikely that you will go up in flames if you toss a cigarette butt in a pool of gasoline. Cigarettes tend to burn at a much lower temperature than gasoline, and the fumes from the gasoline are the main burning agent, not the liquid itself. I

One study attempted over 2,000 different scenarios and situations where gasoline and a lit cigarette could interact, and guess what? Not a single attempt resulted in the gasoline catching on fire!
True, I’ve read that as well, but leaking petrol in an engine bay near a hot exhaust is going generate plenty of vapour, as is burning hot pavement from our lovely Cypriot sun. Probably why every petrol station I’ve ever used has a no smoking sign.

Ian
PolemIan

Re: EV cars and parki

Post by PolemIan »

mark4007 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 pm I am so looking forward to getting an EV .. they are 100 times less likely to catch fire compared with “normal” cars and with any luck they will now have the added benefit that idiots don’t park near them.

“Normal” cars - those filled with fuel and referred to as ICE cars (standing for internal combustion engines” ( there’s a clue in the name) never go up in flames (apart from the 100,000 per year in the UK that the fire brigade have to deal with).

Oh and in case of doubt .. the source of the fire at Luton airport car park was reportedly a diesel powered Range Rover ..
As I believe were all the vehicle fires on the highways here that have been reported in the Cyprus Mail that I can ever recall - at least one of the recent fires in the hills that was attributed to a vehicle fire eg the one in Prastiou last month as reported by the Atlas Fireteam.

Ian
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

mark4007 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 pm Oh and in case of doubt .. the source of the fire at Luton airport car park was reportedly a diesel powered Range Rover ..
Yeah. Did you notice that? How quickly they reported it was a car fire started by a diesel vehicle. Normally, it would just be reported that the fire was started by a vehicle, but not in this case.

The word on the street is that the government are becoming increasingly alarmed at the number of EV fires, the perception of the general public regarding safety around EVs, how this is impacting sales and ultimately net zero targets, that the reporting has been 'vetted'.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Paphos Pete wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:01 am
mark4007 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 pm Oh and in case of doubt .. the source of the fire at Luton airport car park was reportedly a diesel powered Range Rover ..
Yeah. Did you notice that? How quickly they reported it was a car fire started by a diesel vehicle. Normally, it would just be reported that the fire was started by a vehicle, but not in this case.

The word on the street is that the government are becoming increasingly alarmed at the number of EV fires, the perception of the general public regarding safety around EVs, how this is impacting sales and ultimately net zero targets, that the reporting has been 'vetted'.
lol... it was first reported as a fire belived to have been started by a vehicle... it was only when social media started circulating rumours that it was an EV fire did the clarification appear in order to counter that false narrative.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was probably an electrical fault that started the fire as diesel needs to be above 60c for it to burn.

I have been driving diesel cars for 16 years and one of the reason for that is the high flash point of diesel fuel, and less chance of been in a car fire situation for myself and others on the roads.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

mark4007 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 pm lol... it was first reported as a fire belived to have been started by a vehicle... it was only when social media started circulating rumours that it was an EV fire did the clarification appear in order to counter that false narrative.
Not really sure what warrants the 'lol' as this is far from funny but anyway, no I'm not on social media so was not aware of what you consider to be a 'false narrative'.

You're more than welcome to belive what you want, but as they say, the truth will out.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

About 25 years ago, I hired from Hertz a car Heathrow. By chance, it was brand-new with only about 40 miles on the odometer. A couple of days later, I filled up with petrol and noticed a hot smell in the station, without pinpointing a source. I drove off to visit a supplier close to Hemel Hempstead. When I got there, it was obvious that something serious was wrong. The paintwork on the bonnet had turned black and the burning smell was noticeable. As I was in a car park between two other vehicles, I got back into the car and drove it back away from them into open ground. I removed my baggage out of the boot and went into the reception area and asked them to dial 999 for the fire brigade. The receptionist had the presence of mind to call a man who came with a fire extinguisher and he opened the bonnet to find that there was an obvious short-circuit and the insulation on the wiring, close to the battery, was burning. He was able to extinguish it before the fire brigade arrived.

So, there was I, stuck without transport in an industrial complex outside Hemel Hempstead. It gave me plenty of time to conduct my business there. It was about three hours later that a replacement car arrived from Hertz and, after a bit of bureaucracy-shuffling, I was able to drive away again.

Anyway, in context with this debate, I was in a petrol car that caught fire. It could have been a diesel and (30 years later) it could equally have been an electric car. I later learned that Hertz had written the car off.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Paphos Pete wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:16 pm
mark4007 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 pm lol... it was first reported as a fire belived to have been started by a vehicle... it was only when social media started circulating rumours that it was an EV fire did the clarification appear in order to counter that false narrative.
Not really sure what warrants the 'lol' as this is far from funny but anyway, no I'm not on social media so was not aware of what you consider to be a 'false narrative'.

You're more than welcome to belive what you want, but as they say, the truth will out.
lol (again).. the reason for my original lol was that the original reporting was exactly what you said it wasnt (ie it was just reported as fire suspected as started by a car.... so what you thought hadnt happened.. actually was what did ..

And the truth is already out their with studies showing that fully EVs are far less likely to catch fire..

lol.. (even more).. i also love the idea that you read and submit posts to this forum and belive that you are not on social media.. very amusing..

(definition of social media

Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks)
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Devil wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:33 pm

Anyway, in context with this debate, I was in a petrol car that caught fire. It could have been a diesel and (30 years later) it could equally have been an electric car. I later learned that Hertz had written the car off.
yep.. it could happen in a petrol, a diesel or an electric car.. but its not true to glibley say it could "equally" have been an electric car. one would need to do a study (or find a study) to find the probability of the unlikely scenario you describe occuring in ICEs and EVs.. i am not aware of any such study.

however its clear from other studies that, regardless of cause, EVs are less likely than ICEs to catch fire
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Hybrid vehicles have gradually achieved the worst record for fires and there are studies out there mostly done by insurance companies and risk assessors even law firms - Switchgear and underrated power supply cables and earth straps are often where overheating is visible on cars that have been on fire or close to it -

A recent study by US insurer, AutoinsuranceEZ found that hybrid cars had the worst fire record, while EVs were the least likely type of car to catch fire. Hybrid cars had 3474.5 fires per 100,000 sale; petrol cars had 1,529.9 fires per 100,000 sales and EVs had just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales.
20 Jun 2023

https://normantaylor.com/blog/which-car ... -the-most/
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

It seems that parking distance is not as big a problem as getting an EV insured

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2448010 ... air-costs/
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It's not just insurance - There are a multitude of things go against EV's at the moment and the figures don't make sense - A rough example take a Nissan Leaf as an example - Not cheap to start with - original advice given was be wary of buying an electric vehicle that is 5 years old or older as the battery pack has past its best ( which immediately hampers the used car sales ) also take into consideration mileage - The way the car has been charged also effects overall battery condition Whether flat when charged or part charged - The battery power deteriorate's over the early years and at 5 year old or older the original recommendation was if you want to keep the car reliable and maintain its travel distance between charges to change the battery pack at a cost of approx £5k - don't know if this is the same advice today as battery technology has not changed that much but if it is the 5 year old car has depreciated to a point where it does not justify the cost of replacing the battery pack and who wants to buy a used car that you have recharge every few mile - Then there is the drive motors switchgear generators relays all of which have a limited lifespan and all expensive to replace
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I can't speak for pure EVs but I can speak for hybrids which, electrically, have the same problems as EVs. My first hybrid was with me for five years, during which time it gave no trouble and the battery was as good as new. You may ask why only five years. The answer was simple I had a broken vertebra and getting in and out of it became very difficult as the seating was very low.

I replaced it with another hybrid, which had a more "normal" seating and was much more comfortable for my broken back. I had that one for 11 years and the battery was still pretty good, although the petrol consumption under average conditions had risen from about 4.8 L per 100 km to 5.1, also under average conditions. I ascribed this as wear and tear on the batteries, but they were still good. About two years ago I was approaching my 90th birthday and my insurance company was making unpleasant noises about massively increased premiums so I thought that I was old enough to justify giving up driving, even though I was still perfectly able to, broken back and all. I sold this car to a friend and he is still very happy with it at 13 years and a very marginal increase in petrol consumption to about 5.2 L per 100 km and this is still good for a full-size five seater car.