Passport Stamp & MEU3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Woody2

Re: Passport Stamp & MEU3

Post by Woody2 »

All this stamping in & out has also an implication upon the number of stamp free pages you have left on your passport.
Some countries do have a requirement minimum, irrespective of the longevity of your current passport.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If your like Alan Whicker you can always buy a bigger passport for your stamp collection 😃
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Really when traveling in EU countries it is wise to check beforehand and stick to the rules! Cyprus residents will need the MUKW3 form in due course. It is also far more convenient, as being credit card size it fits easily in your wallet. Also it is much harder to forge being plastic not paper. It would be much more difficult as it has your photo as well as your fingerprint. If you already have your MEU3, you don't need many other supporting documents.
Why not get it if you are eligible?
Arguing with the immigration officer isn't recommended!
Dee
I
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:12 pm Really when traveling in EU countries it is wise to check beforehand and stick to the rules! Cyprus residents will need the MUKW3 form in due course. It is also far more convenient, as being credit card size it fits easily in your wallet. Also it is much harder to forge being plastic not paper. It would be much more difficult as it has your photo as well as your fingerprint. If you already have your MEU3, you don't need many other supporting documents.
Dee
I
The Greek border officials were adamant. They said that the MEU3 is meaningless. It’s only applicable to Cyprus. Presumably, also the MUKW3.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

I've found that when returning to Paphos airport I show my MEU3 (Yellow Slip) first to the immigration officer and then my passport it doesn't get stamped.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:12 pm Really when traveling in EU countries it is wise to check beforehand and stick to the rules! Cyprus residents will need the MUKW3 form in due course. It is also far more convenient, as being credit card size it fits easily in your wallet. Also it is much harder to forge being plastic not paper. It would be much more difficult as it has your photo as well as your fingerprint. If you already have your MEU3, you don't need many other supporting documents.
Dee
I
Contary to what some might think, there is no obligation for Cyprus residents to obtain a MUKW3, either now or in the future. it is optional.

There are benefits and drawbacks of obtaining the MUKW3 if you are eligible. The most obvious drawbacks are the fee and time to get it and the fact that,unlike the "yellow slip", it has an expiry date.

For a UK national there are currently no wider EU benefits of having a MUKW3 as opposed to a "yellow slip".

A MUKW3 will allow a UK nationals to sidestep the ETIAS when that is introduced in summer 2025 (at the earliest). That "benefit" might in reality be limited as UK nationals who are cyprus residents will, and as they currently are, still be subject to the "90 day rule" when traveling in other EU countries.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

clive of payia wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:22 am I've found that when returning to Paphos airport I show my MEU3 (Yellow Slip) first to the immigration officer and then my passport it doesn't get stamped.
works for me as well..
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

mark4007 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:41 am
Dee
I
Contary to what some might think, there is no obligation for Cyprus residents to obtain a MUKW3, either now or in the future. it is optional.

There are benefits and drawbacks of obtaining the MUKW3 if you are eligible. The most obvious drawbacks are the fee and time to get it and the fact that,unlike the "yellow slip", it has an expiry date.

For a UK national there are currently no wider EU benefits of having a MUKW3 as opposed to a "yellow slip".

A MUKW3 will allow a UK nationals to sidestep the ETIAS when that is introduced in summer 2025 (at the earliest). That "benefit" might in reality be limited as UK nationals who are cyprus residents will, and as they currently are, still be subject to the "90 day rule" when traveling in other EU countries.
With regard to ETIAS, British nationals who hold a MEU3 or MUKW3 are exempt from ETIAS. This is what the EU says:

UK nationals and their family members who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement are exempt from ETIAS: they may reside on the territory of their EU host country and travel to other European countries requiring ETIAS as long as they hold documents proving their status.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... %20earlier

Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals:
• must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (EU) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767; and
• have the title ‘Residence Card’ or ‘Permanent residence card’ according to Directive 2004/38/EC and the standardised code ‘Family Member EU Art 10 DIR 2004/38/EC’ or ‘Family Member EU Art 20 DIR 2004/38/EC’;
• currently in circulation will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2026, whichever is earlier. Cards that do not meet minimum security standards or include a functional MRZ will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2023, whichever is earlier.

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... endocument

Duration of long term residence permit
The residence right of such permits is of unlimited validity.
The residence permit (card), however, has an expiry date of ten years from the date of its issuance and must be replaced with its expiration.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One advantage of the MUKW biometric card is that your ID number is the same as your GESY number so no need to carry any additional proof of ID when visiting the doctor or for other medical services
However, if eligible for the White Medical Card it is best to have it with you because certain services in the hospitals are only available if you have this card.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

mark 4007 Re "Contrary to what some might think, there is no obligation for Cyprus residents to obtain a MUKW3, either now or in the future. it is optional."
I would be interested to know where you have seen this information. It certainly varies from all I have read about the situation.
Trev..
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:30 pm mark 4007 Re "Contrary to what some might think, there is no obligation for Cyprus residents to obtain a MUKW3, either now or in the future. it is optional."
I would be interested to know where you have seen this information. It certainly varies from all I have read about the situation.
The withdrawal agreement deals with UK nationals who have establised the right to reside in a member state before the end of the transistional date.

As per Cyprus goverment website

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/CRMD/crmd.nsf ... endocument

Residence documents

It is noted that the Republic of Cyprus has chosen the declaratory system based on Article 18 (4) of the Withdrawal Agreement, where the eligible UK nationals and their family members who are also UK nationals are entitled to retain their previous residence document as EU citizens and can use them as means of proof of their right to reside in the Republic. Furthermore, they have the right if they wish to secure the new residence document to be issued as of 1.1.2021.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Tuppence wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:02 pm https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-cont ... %20earlier

Residence cards for family members who are non-EU nationals:
• must use the uniform format established by Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Regulation (EU) 2017/1954 and Implementing Decision C(2018) 7767; and
• have the title ‘Residence Card’ or ‘Permanent residence card’ according to Directive 2004/38/EC and the standardised code ‘Family Member EU Art 10 DIR 2004/38/EC’ or ‘Family Member EU Art 20 DIR 2004/38/EC’;
• currently in circulation will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2026, whichever is earlier. Cards that do not meet minimum security standards or include a functional MRZ will no longer be valid on their expiry date or by 3 August 2023, whichever is earlier.

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... endocument

Duration of long term residence permit
The residence right of such permits is of unlimited validity.
The residence permit (card), however, has an expiry date of ten years from the date of its issuance and must be replaced with its expiration.
Thank you for providing the link.. most helpful..

It is clear that the EU regulation refers to EU Citizens and their family members. So a UK national able to reside in Cyprus due to the withdrawal agreement is clearly outside the scope of the regulation, unless they are also an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen.

The extract that you have refers to family members. As can be seen from elsewhere in the regulation these are family members of EU citizens. It is not refering to UK nationals (unless of course they are also a family member of an EU citizen).
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with Trev having read the EU regs regarding this, the situation for UK residents in Cyprus is quite clear We are no longer EU residents, we are covered by the UK’s withdrawal agreement only if we were resident here before Brexit. We are required in due course to get the new MUKW3.
Beware of purveyor's duff gen!
Dee
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:42 am I agree with Trev having read the EU regs regarding this, the situation for UK residents in Cyprus is quite clear We are no longer EU residents, we are covered by the UK’s withdrawal agreement only if we were resident here before Brexit. We are required in due course to get the new MUKW3.
Beware of purveyor's duff gen!
Dee
So .. you agree.. those covered by the withdrawal agreement .. which is most of us on this forum .. do not need to get the MUKW3 in due course.

Of course .. those of us (uk nationals) not covered by the withdrawal agreement only became resident post 31 Dec 2020 and don’t have the option as they couldn’t get the MEU3 in the first place..
jonjo

Post by jonjo »

From the UK Gov website

We strongly recommend that you request the MUKW residence document. While MEU documents remain valid until their expiry date, the MUKW residence document shows that you have the rights defined in the Withdrawal Agreement. The biometric card is more durable and it will simplify administrative processes. It shows your right to enter Cyprus exempts you from the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and visa requirements. You can use also the biometric channel at border crossings.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

jonjo wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:58 pm From the UK Gov website

We strongly recommend that you request the MUKW residence document. While MEU documents remain valid until their expiry date, the MUKW residence document shows that you have the rights defined in the Withdrawal Agreement. The biometric card is more durable and it will simplify administrative processes. It shows your right to enter Cyprus exempts you from the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and visa requirements. You can use also the biometric channel at border crossings.
yep.. (almost) nothing controversional.... more proof that the MUKW documents are optional.. MEU documents issued to UK nationals remain valid until their expiry date (which they do not have). and for those who can benefit from the withdrawal agreement the MEU document also shows your right to enter cyprus exempt from the ETIAS and visa requirements..

ETIAS is not going to be operational to Summer 2025 at the earliest.. so thats not much of a benefit in the immediate future..

the interesting thing is the "you can use also the biometric channel at border crossings"... has anyone seen one of these channels?... or indeed anyone used an MUKW residence document in such a channel?

of course the UK gov has been suggesting that those holding an MEU1 "uprade" to an MUKW1 from 1 Jan 2021. if you had done in Jan 2021 then this would expire in Jan 26 (they only last 5 years) which, who knows, may be before the ETIAS is eventually introduced.