My cars headlights.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

My cars headlights.

Post by JimX »

Hello, I need my cars headlights restoring they have gone foggy anyone help with a recommendation. Thank you.
Jim.
Coles

Re: My cars headlights.

Post by Coles »

Hi Jim,

I’m sure I read on here some years ago that toothpaste with a gentle brushing works.

Maybe try it on a small area first.

Never tried it myself but others may be able to confirm or deny?

Andy
souniman

Post by souniman »

I used WD40 worked a treat
HTH
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have tried both of these fixes neither worked for me but thanks all the same.
Jim.
staffie

Post by staffie »

Jim, don't use a toothbrush an paste, you will only put small scratches on your lights, we bought a product called (armor all) headlight restorer wipes kit, 14 euros from paphos home market, about a year ago, and our lights still ok brought them up like new, but when we park up at home we keep front of car covered from the sun, very easy to do.
jeba

Post by jeba »

I had mine refurbished at Nico´s car clinic in Pyla. He didn´t do it himself but sent them somwhere (don´t know where). Cost was € 60 or 70 (can´t remember exactly) and they´re looking like new. I know it´s probably too far for your liking, but you may want to give him a call at 24106277 to find out where he had it done.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I have mine done at the Esso station in Chlorakas. On main road, left hand side if coming from Paps on right.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Jim ArmorAll wipes are reputed to work well I would be surprised if Droushiotis on the Mesogi Road, near you, didn't stock them
1 wipe cleans and one protects.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I used the old fashioned system of using BRASSO and a soft clothe to rub it on When dry buff off with a soft duster. Worked a treat for me.
All things are possible
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

The very best stuff for this is Solvol Autosol - Don't know if its available in Paphos but brings them up like new rub on with damp cloth

https://www.google.com/search?q=solvol+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
kansas

Post by kansas »

We had ours restored two weeks ago by Linda's Garage next to Lidl off the roundabout towards Mesogi. Took about half an hour and cost €50. We had tried doing it ourselves with several compounds but the result weren't particularly impressive and they soon reverted to the foggy state.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

WD40 will work for a while, but it’s not a permanent fix. I tried the Armour All kit and it was next to useless for me.

I the got the AutoGlym kit (from Droushiotis on Mesogi Rd), and the results were superb. If you’re not up to a bit of bending over and polishing with a cordless drill for an hour or so, as others have suggested try one of the auto wash or retailers places. I’ve seen our old car in Paphos a couple of times recently and they still look like new - about 14 months after I did them.

Ian
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Too much like hard work that - 10 mins a Headlight is about right using Solvol - The ammonia content is the active ingredient combined with Aluminium Oxide powder - You could use the islands most common animal - used cat litter will do the same job - But you wouldn't be able to tell anyone what you used
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

kansas wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:28 pm We had ours restored two weeks ago by Linda's Garage next to Lidl off the roundabout towards Mesogi. Took about half an hour and cost €50. We had tried doing it ourselves with several compounds but the result weren't particularly impressive and they soon reverted to the foggy state.
That's the problem once you start clearing the headlamps they soon start to deteriorate
again
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
JimX

Post by JimX »

Thanks all for your ideas and recommendations I will give it some thought.
Jim.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:41 pm The very best stuff for this is Solvol Autosol - Don't know if its available in Paphos but brings them up like new rub on with damp cloth

We used to used that for shining up our Motorbike crankcases. Lovely job.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We had ours done at the car wash place at the Mall. Did a really good job. We used to smoke in the car, and the interior roof was niccotine stained. Had a full valet, including the roof, and now no sign of anyone ever smoked in the car.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Had my headlights done by ABRA (home visit) cost for cleaning lens's €150 euros a bit steep but they also did my car's front badge that was really grim.. Also washed the motor too..
Jim.