Paphos Smart Parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Ams

Re: Paphos Smart Parking

Post by Ams »

Polly wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:17 am For several days I have been trying to sign up and register but cannot get accepted. The password I enter is not accepted even though I am composing it as instructed, the same with the user name and my telephone number is described as invalid. I'm stuck. Anyone else had this experience?
Also has anyone found out how the sms system works yet?
The website is in Greek so no help there as I cannot read it as is. I also find it difficult to read a mobile screen in the daylight/sunlight so if I do get it working I don't know if I'll be able to use it!
I also had problem with my password at first. I was following their instructions and it kept being rejected. Then I realised that you had to use one the of special characters on their list, not any special character. I was using a # which wasn't on their list.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks Ams. Where do I find the list? On the website I guess!
Ams

Post by Ams »

Polly wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:53 pm Thanks Ams. Where do I find the list? On the website I guess!
It came up on the app itself when it told me my password is incorrect. That included a message telling me when I needed to include (can't remember exactly, but say minimum of 8 characters, 1 cap, 1 number and 1 special character, then it listed the special characters (for example, a ? )
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks again. I'll have another (closer) look.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just use whatever password you want, and add Aa1! at the end, or something like that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

Bumping this back up, sorry :oops:

We've finally booked flights to CY in a few weeks time. Mrs B has just been chatting to our (Tala) neighbours who are on holiday there at the moment and they have remarked that the app was a bit of a nightmare.
They had linked it to his Santander card and every time they used it to park, they had to get a code from Santander "because they weren't in the UK"

I've put it on my UK Android phone, but haven't gone any further ... yet

We also have an ancient Android phone with a CYTA PAYG sim in it, but would prefer to use my 'inclusive' UK data rather than have to turn data on on the CYTA phone which will use up our credit.

Has anyone any experience of using it on a UK phone?
J B
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Not sure if it helps but we use the Sodap Beach car park which no longer takes coins. We haven't mastered the app yet but we used the texting process on our Cyprus PAYG and it is now helping to bring down our ridiculously high account balance which has built over the years due to the 10 euro charge per year to maintain the number..............worth a thought.
J B

Post by J B »

Princebytor wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:46 pm Not sure if it helps but we use the Sodap Beach car park which no longer takes coins. We haven't mastered the app yet but we used the texting process on our Cyprus PAYG and it is now helping to bring down our ridiculously high account balance which has built over the years due to the 10 euro charge per year to maintain the number..............worth a thought.
That is certainly worth a thought which reminded me to check our balance ...................€50 which expires on 15/10 :shock:
Better get topping up!
Then, we'll have €60!
J B
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

J B wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:44 pm Bumping this back up, sorry :oops:

We also have an ancient Android phone with a CYTA PAYG sim in it, but would prefer to use my 'inclusive' UK data rather than have to turn data on on the CYTA phone which will use up our credit.
In that case you should be able to use the SMS method for smart parking. You send a text to 9191 with the parking bay number.
I believe that on top of the parking fee the phone provider charges €1 for the service.

Perhaps someone can confirm this as I haven't had to use 'smart parking' yet.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I used that method of texting on my old Nokia phone, albeit on my account with CYTA.
Very simple using 9191 to send the text .Don't think that I was billed more than 1 euro per call.

Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

J B wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:19 pm
Princebytor wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:46 pm Not sure if it helps but we use the Sodap Beach car park which no longer takes coins. We haven't mastered the app yet but we used the texting process on our Cyprus PAYG and it is now helping to bring down our ridiculously high account balance which has built over the years due to the 10 euro charge per year to maintain the number..............worth a thought.
That is certainly worth a thought which reminded me to check our balance ...................€50 which expires on 15/10 :shock:
Better get topping up!
Then, we'll have €60!
FYI, since earlier this year, early spring sometime, CYTA have changed their top up validity periods and halved them. So a €10 since then is now valid for 6 months and €5 only 3. So it’s now a min of €20 PA to retain that CYTA number and I suspect a number of infrequent visitors will return to the island to discover that their number has expired.

This is why we have ditched them for our spare mobile and our house alarm sim for Primetel where all top ups including the €5 one are currently valid for 365 days.

Ian
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I am not sure that the sensor can detect anything other than your app, when you park you use the app, when you leave the app can tell,

I tried to use the app but as I have a pre-pay phone it said this was not accepted.

I asked all my Cypriot friends and they all told me they do not pay so I gave it a go, parked up often last month and never got a ticket, perhaps I was lucky but if the fine is only Euro 8 and the parking charge is Euro 1 or more then if you can park for free 8 times or more its cheaper to pay the fine.

My friends also told me charges are 24 hours, but the wardens finish at 6 pm, take lunch 1pm to 3pm and only wardens can give a ticket as the police can't tell if you have paid.

G
janeandian

Post by janeandian »

Reference the parking smart app, you do not need to have a card set up to pay the parking, each time you use the app you can pay using apple pay. Its very simple.
If you use text message you need a cypriot phone number.
J B

Post by J B »

janeandian wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:59 am .................... each time you use the app you can pay using apple pay. Its very simple.
But, as I have an Android phone and don't use it for payments :lol:
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

JB perhaps try to park in car parks. Most still have a machine which takes a 1E coin… or if you have a CY bank card you can pay with that.
J B

Post by J B »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:19 pm FYI, since earlier this year, early spring sometime, CYTA have changed their top up validity periods and halved them. So a €10 since then is now valid for 6 months and €5 only 3. So it’s now a min of €20 PA to retain that CYTA number and I suspect a number of infrequent visitors will return to the island to discover that their number has expired.

This is why we have ditched them for our spare mobile and our house alarm sim for Primetel where all top ups including the €5 one are currently valid for 365 days.
Going somewhat O/T but if I were to switch to Primetel, could I transfer my number? Any my Credit?
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Why not ask Primetel?
J B

Post by J B »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:49 am Why not ask Primetel?
Mainly because I'm in the UK and there's nothing on their website ...
J B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

J B wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:48 pm
PolemIan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:19 pm FYI, since earlier this year, early spring sometime, CYTA have changed their top up validity periods and halved them. So a €10 since then is now valid for 6 months and €5 only 3. So it’s now a min of €20 PA to retain that CYTA number and I suspect a number of infrequent visitors will return to the island to discover that their number has expired.

Going somewhat O/T but if I were to switch to Primetel, could I transfer my number? Any my Credit?
Number - yes. You will need the portability code from your existing provider. Credit - no.

Ian
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

glang3000 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:36 pm I am not sure that the sensor can detect anything other than your app, when you park you use the app, when you leave the app can tell,

I tried to use the app but as I have a pre-pay phone it said this was not accepted.

I asked all my Cypriot friends and they all told me they do not pay so I gave it a go, parked up often last month and never got a ticket, perhaps I was lucky but if the fine is only Euro 8 and the parking charge is Euro 1 or more then if you can park for free 8 times or more its cheaper to pay the fine.

My friends also told me charges are 24 hours, but the wardens finish at 6 pm, take lunch 1pm to 3pm and only wardens can give a ticket as the police can't tell if you have paid.

G

So if very soon the price will go up, we'll have you and your non paying Cypriot friends to blame. :roll: ;)
Louise :)