The New Paphos Bus Station

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The New Paphos Bus Station

Post by Dominic »

One of the questions we get asked most is about the new Paphos Bus Station. Is it being built? Where is it being built? Have they finished it yet? So we thought we would pop down to the Tomb of the Kings Road and see what was what...

Read the article and chat about it below...

the-new-paphos-bus-station_masthead.jpg
the-new-paphos-bus-station_masthead.jpg (133.11 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Re: The New Paphos Bus Station

Post by LouiseCastricum »

We had a look yesterday. Looks good.
Louise :)
Spitimou

Post by Spitimou »

Just as a matter of interest, I walked along ToTK from the Mall to the Aspire school and noticed what big gaps there are between bus stops heading towards the Harbour.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe its because in the season the service is probably mainly used by tourists who have convenient bus stops close to their hotels?
I wonder how the buses exit from the bus station, it seems that they will have to join the queue of other traffic before the traffic lights outside King's Hotel. In busy times there are often long tail backs and the road is very congested.

Dee
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:07 pm Maybe its because in the season the service is probably mainly used by tourists who have convenient bus stops close to their hotels?
I wonder how the buses exit from the bus station, it seems that they will have to join the queue of other traffic before the traffic lights outside King's Hotel. In busy times there are often long tail backs and the road is very congested.

Dee
I am a regular bus user and whilst I applaud the upgrade, the actual positioning of the new terminus - seems not that well thought out (IMHO)
That stretch of the road leads up to the roundabout going eastwards from Coral bay and the 615 bus, for example would normally then head down to the harbour (old bus terminal)

The problem I can foresee now, is how difficult it will be for the 615 to get back to Coral Bay - as it must surely have to depart from the new station-then head up to the roundabout and then circle back round again to be on the other side of the road. I can well envisage that in the summer months there will be a tail back of buses trying to get in or out to join that busy stretch of road. I presume also that they would be going to add a separate bus to go down to the harbour area and back up again for passengers wanting to visit the fort/shops etc... ??

I wonder also has there been any update regarding Karavella 's new station opening date?
ast

Post by ast »

Fishbeardsunset perhaps the 615 will leave the new terminus go down to the harbour then back up the other side to Coral bay, the same as it does now just that the terminus is located elsewhere, can't see that being an issue.

Granted buses getting out the terminus into the summer traffic on that stretch could be a problem though.. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
fishbeardsunset

ast wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:21 pm Fishbeardsunset perhaps the 615 will leave the new terminus go down to the harbour then back up the other side to Coral bay, the same as it does now just that the terminus is located elsewhere, can't see that being an issue.

Granted buses getting out the terminus into the summer traffic on that stretch could be a problem though.. 8-)
Good point, if that is their intention then it would be the same as before so coming out of the shopping Mall for example- and crossing the road nearest the stop nearest "Bens Bar" for the journey back to Coral Bay...or indeed from the Harbour if you are down that way

But I also wonder what will happen to the 610 and 618 routes that also leave from the Harbour up to the Old Town, as when they come back down again they will be on the wrong side of the road... we shall just have to wait and see unless they drastically change some of the routes and also incorporate the new Karavella Station more into the equation :roll:
Last edited by fishbeardsunset on Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I suppose the possible reason why the new bus station is being built in its location on ToTK, is that there was simply a large empty plot of land there! It seems a pity that the location had to be changed from the one at the harbour which was really the best place.That may have been due to it having (according to what I heard at the time),be because it was built over a long bank holiday weekend without permission! Also the area around the harbour is part of the UNESCO archaeological area which comes under the jurisdiction of the Antiquities Branch of the Govt.

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The possible answer to getting out of the terminus in the busy summer would be a set of traffic lights operated by the bus company.
All things are possible
PafosBoy

Post by PafosBoy »

I'm reading these comments with interest as I live nearby. The station was almost ready to open and then everything stopped! The rumour that is circulating in the area is that a trial was done with a small number of buses only to find that the dimensions are wrong and buses can't safely pass each other or turn or park!! I have no idea how true this is but if it is we have a new white elephant!
Maybe someone can do some digging to find out what the truth is?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Time will tell! However if proved to be unsuitable for busses it could be used as a new car park! Then double yellow lines on TOTK in this area could make it an offence to park vehicles on the very busy road..

Dee
fishbeardsunset

Update on the opening of the Karavela Station (from OSYPA Ltd. (Paphos Transport Organization website)

FROM MONDAY 25/09/2023 WE ARE MOVING TO THE NEW BUS STATION IN KARAVELA
Friday, 22 September 2023
FROM MONDAY 25/09/2023 WE ARE MOVING TO THE NEW KARAVELA STATION (KARAVELA PARKING PLACE). THE STARTING POINT OF THE ROUTES BELOW WILL BE THE KARAVELLA AND NOT THE MUNICIPAL MARKET:

601, 602, 603, 604, 607, 608, 609, 613, 614, 618, 630, 632, 633, 634, 636, 637, 639, 641, 645
fishbeardsunset

PafosBoy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:04 pm I'm reading these comments with interest as I live nearby. The station was almost ready to open and then everything stopped! The rumour that is circulating in the area is that a trial was done with a small number of buses only to find that the dimensions are wrong and buses can't safely pass each other or turn or park!! I have no idea how true this is but if it is we have a new white elephant!
Maybe someone can do some digging to find out what the truth is?
I was speaking to one of the drivers recently, about the 615 route in particular- (coastal route from Coral Bay to the Harbour)
He says that once they sort the "IN" and "OUT" problem with the buses entering and leaving, then the 615 will pull into the new bus stop- then exit towards the roundabout- but it will not go down to the harbour as before, instead ;it will do a loop round the roundabout :roll: and come back westwards on the "Bens' Bar" side of the road and continue as normal along to Coral Bay

But they have not said how you would get to the harbour from the "new bus station" :? (The 615 won't go there anymore)

It will be interesting to see what they will do with the 610 and the 618 buses that used to travel northwards from the harbour- up to the Old Town :roll:
fishbeardsunset

Just seen this about the 618 route- so it looks like this will start at the new Karavela station but will it still go down to the harbour???? - as there has been nothing indicated as to the end stop being amended, and still nothing about the 610, that I could find..

"FROM MONDAY 25/09/2023 THE STARTING POINT OF 618 BUS ROUTE WILL BE NEW KARAVELA BUS STATION (KARAVELA PARKING PLACE)"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The roads around Karavela sound as if the are going to be very busy with all the buses serving all these routes coming and going! This in addition to the number of other vehicles, mainly cars who also use routes which serve the one way roads nearby.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I believe that the bus station was opened today. Can anyone confirm?
All things are possible
memory man

Post by memory man »

We were in Tea 4 Two at lunchtime and the bus station didn't look open.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The one that opened today was the one in the old town that has been renewed
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:44 pm The one that opened today was the one in the old town that has been renewed
Thanks for that Trev.
All things are possible
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

So we are talking about two different bus stations ,one on the tomb of the kings road , the other in the old town .?
Where about is this bus station, the caravel,please , lived here for twenty years and never had cause to use it .