New Parking Meters - How do the authorities check?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

New Parking Meters - How do the authorities check?

Post by galexinda »

Not had to use the Smart Parking system in Paphos but aware that an App or SMS message system is in place.

How do the authorities check that the driver of a car parked in a particular parking space has paid?

I appreciate that with the App people can start and end the period of parking so this is more for:
1. For those who use the SMS system and use a prepay system.
2. For those who park without paying.

Raising the question because there are now parking meters in Latchi and Polis Chrysochou which currently only allow a cash prepayment.
Another difference to Paphos is that none of the parking bays are numbered.
Various comments on FB about checking validity of parking, ranging from using cameras (didn't see any), a traffic warden or the person who has to empty the meter.

Thank you.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: New Parking Meters - How do the authorities check?

Post by Dominic »

Often the traffic wardens in Paphos go around on mopeds. They do go around though. As to how they check, I guess by looking. The system will know which bays are supposed to be empty and presumably the wardens have an app which shows them. They then just have to look to see if somebody is parking where they shouldn't. I don't think it is done by cameras. The authorities have enough hassle getting permission to install cameras at graffiti hotspots. Getting permission to cover the entirity of Paphos with cameras would be impossible.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Great,so how does an old fart like me go on who is not into this hi tec :( is this not age discrimination :? )
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Coming over soon, please can you advise where the new parking meters are in Paphos and Latchi? Is it street parking only? Is the big car park by the harbour still free of charge? Thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

paulaf wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:53 pm Coming over soon, please can you advise where the new parking meters are in Paphos and Latchi? Is it street parking only? Is the big car park by the harbour still free of charge? Thanks
If the place where you park has a number on the bay, you need to pay. There are no numbers down at the harbour. I am not sure about the new carpark there, but certainly not the old carpark. Also, behind the restaurants is still free too.

Outside of that, pretty much all the car parks now use the system, and also new parking bays along the refurbished roads. It isn't really a complicated system, and there are multiple ways of using it. It is also dirt cheap.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

paulaf wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:53 pm Coming over soon, please can you advise where the new parking meters are in Paphos and Latchi? Is it street parking only? Is the big car park by the harbour still free of charge? Thanks
In Latchi the beach car park, public car parks and main street are all now metered, coin operated and you get a ticket. The harbour and dirt car parks are still free and at this time of year you’ll find a space in them no problem.
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:46 pm Great,so how does an old fart like me go on who is not into this hi tec :( is this not age discrimination :? )
If you are savvy enough to post to this website you must be savvy enough to use a mobile phone. Age should be no barrier.

Yesterday I used the 9191 text for the first time in the main car park in Paphos. As an old fart it was no problem.
paulaf

Post by paulaf »

Thanks for the info a shame though.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that Paphos's relatively new app operated parking system is much easier to use than I had expected. Also you don't need to find small change as with the old coin in the meter system.
Parking is much more sophisticated in Cheltenham where I am at present and the meters although geared to take contactless bank cards, are more complicated and also need the reg no of your car.
Parking tickets are also much more expensive. £70, but the fine is reduced by 50% for payment of fine within 14 days..
Dee
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

At what hours during the day and what days of the week are the charges active. In the old days was it not ' Office Hours ' ?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

From memory, I think that its 8am-18.00 hrs.
MiaBeth

Post by MiaBeth »

I use the harbour car park every day when I go to Bania for a swim. Just recently the old white van which has been parked there for years has been removed and the broken stone work around it and a couple of other places in the car park has been relaid.I can only imagine that soon the car park will become one you have to pay in.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Hope not Miabeth, as I too swim from Bania....