Travel Warning for Brits

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Travel Warning for Brits

Post by 71 Trans Am »

GB News
Follow
Travel warning for Britons as they could face huge fines abroad - Spain, Italy and Greece
Story by Sarra Gray

Travel warning for Britons as they could face huge fines abroad - Spain, Italy and Greece© GB News
Many Britons will be preparing the jet off this week as they take advantage of the August bank holiday.
If visiting some popular European hotspots, travellers should be wary of some laws that could potentially catch them out.
GB News shares the laws for Spain, Cyprus, Italy and Greece.

Spain

While you might want to strip off in the hot weather, going topless in tourist areas such as Barcelona and Majorca could lead to big fines.
Stripping off while walking down the streets, in restaurants or anywhere away from the beach or a swimming pool could result in fines of up to 300 euros (around £256).
Foreign Office advice stated: “In some parts of Spain it’s against the law to be in the street wearing only a bikini or swimming shorts/trunks. Being bare-chested has also been banned in some areas of Spain. Some local councils will impose fines if you’re caught wearing swimwear on the seafront promenade or the adjacent streets."

Cyprus

Britons could also be hit by fines for using Nitrous oxide, often known as laughing gas, following rule changes imposed this year.
It is incredibly dangerous to use this and it is now considered an illegal drug in Cyprus.
Anyone found with the product could be fined or even receive a prison sentence.

A Foreign Office statement said: "Cyprus has a strictly enforced zero-tolerance policy towards illegal drugs, which now includes laughing gas. If you are caught with any type of narcotic you will receive either a prison sentence or a hefty fine.
"The rules against possession of illegal drugs are stricter than in the UK...
"The current judicial processing delays mean that court cases can take up to two years to be scheduled and adjournments happen regularly in Cyprus."

Italy

Like in Spain, Sorrento has strict rules on wearing bikinis or having a bare chest in public.
This is ok when visiting the beach or lounging by the pool, but anyone daring to bare in the town could get fines of up to 500 euros (around £427).
In 2022, the Mayor of the town Massimo Coppola claimed it caused “discomfort and unease” and was “contrary to decorum and to the decency that characterizes civilized cohabitation”.
Similar laws are in place in Lipari and Venice.

Greece

There are a number of laws in place in Greece to protect the heritage of the country.
This includes wearing high heels at more delicate historical monuments and taking stones from pebble beaches.
Anyone who does this, or anything to damage the rich history of Greece, could be hit with hundreds of pounds worth of fines.
ast

Re: Travel Warning for Brits

Post by ast »

I'm quivering in my boots. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Slow news day.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Hope you've got more than your boot's on or you could be fined.
ast

Post by ast »

You will never see me without my boots hat and scarf. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Seems to me like a lesson in common sense.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree, but unfortunately one sometimes sees tourists clad in beach wear walking up to the old town from the harbour. Would they wear such clothes when visiting a local town in the UK? Also bare chested, sweaty men inside a supermarket?

Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Anything goes now - I remember about 20 years ago returning to Newcastle from Liverpool early one morning where I had stayed the night and was amazed to see young mothers who had obviously just dropped the kids off at school standing on the street corners in groups and at the crossings in Pyjamas and Dressing Gowns - Had never come across this before and now it happens everywhere and some of them must be like that all day because the clothes are filthy
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:23 pm Anything goes now - I remember about 20 years ago returning to Newcastle from Liverpool early one morning where I had stayed the night and was amazed to see young mothers who had obviously just dropped the kids off at school standing on the street corners in groups and at the crossings in Pyjamas and Dressing Gowns - Had never come across this before and now it happens everywhere and some of them must be like that all day because the clothes are filthy
I remember seeing groups of women on street corners in Amsterdam dressed only in their underwear, its a european wide thing , :lol:
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

[/quote]

I remember seeing groups of women on street corners in Amsterdam dressed only in their underwear, its a european wide thing , :lol:
[/quote]

but only in a specific district ................... :D :D :D
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:07 am
[/quote]

but only in a specific district ................... :D :D :D
[/quote]

Goedemorgen Louise, mijn dochter en schoonzoon wonen in Amsterdam, dus ik ga regelmatig, :D
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

a few years ago, I joined the queue at the main Larnaca Hellenic branch. Immediately in front of me, there was a couple where Monsieur was dressed in only a pair of short shorts, bright red beer belly hanging over them. To the bank's credit, an employee came over and politely asked him to leave. He objected but eventually left when he was told that he would not be served until he was decent. As voices had been raised, about seven or eight other customers applauded and he left with his face is red as his belly.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

In the 90s sometimes on a Saturday morning use to go up and sit outside the inside market for breakfast, it would be busy with the tourists doing their last minute purchases unfortunately you could always spot the British as they were the ones walking around men with no tops and women in bikinis top regardless of age, we always use to say would they walk around their local shopping areas like that
I was in Paps in Pissouri quite a few years back and this chap hadn’t a top on you could smell him feet away after that incident they put up a notice that you were not allowed into the store unless you were covered up
WHL

Post by WHL »

Years ago I was in a q for meat at a large supermarket the guy in front of me had an enormous beer belly as he leaned on the glass front he left a massive sweat stain on the glass, not being able to hold my silence any more I said to him, are you ffing havng a laugh that's disgusting, he scuttled off, I did complain to the manager as Tring to view meat through a large sweat stain wasn't very appealing.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I remember well in the sixties, seeing women who worked in a large factory in the town where I lived, walking home with rollers in their hair, never did quite understand that one.
Last edited by Firefly on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Devil wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:21 am a few years ago, I joined the queue at the main Larnaca Hellenic branch. Immediately in front of me, there was a couple where Monsieur was dressed in only a pair of short shorts, bright red beer belly hanging over them. To the bank's credit, an employee came over and politely asked him to leave. He objected but eventually left when he was told that he would not be served until he was decent. As voices had been raised, about seven or eight other customers applauded and he left with his face is red as his belly.
So.... the guy made a quick withdrawal, when he found out he was in the red. :lol: :lol: :lol: ...
kansas

Post by kansas »

Slightly off topic but my daughter and partner stayed at Alexander the Great recently and men weren't allowed to wear sandals into the restaurant although the women had no such restrictions. Are men's feet smellier than women's then??
WHL

Post by WHL »

kansas wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:33 am Slightly off topic but my daughter and partner stayed at Alexander the Great recently and men weren't allowed to wear sandals into the restaurant although the women had no such restrictions. Are men's feet smellier than women's then??
Yes they are :D
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Well i never! A foot fetishist on this forum - What a really diverse place this is.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

:shock: