Re: Jumbo's refunds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgym

Re: Re: Jumbo's refunds

Post by Jimgym »

A minor point here. Are businesses allowed to charge you extra for an item if you are paying by card? A friend bought something at the harbour and was told there would be a higher price for a card payment.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:06 pm A minor point here. Are businesses allowed to charge you extra for an item if you are paying by card? A friend bought something at the harbour and was told there would be a higher price for a card payment.
Absolutely not. They should be reported.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

You just can't help yourself can you.

We lived in Cyprus for ten years from 2001, we knew Cyprus before and after they joined the EU. We experienced the refusal of some traders to accept EU laws, and it seem that some things remain the same.

Now you might not like this, and quite frankly, I don't give a damn.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Many UK businesses charge extra for card payments especially takeaways - They often have a notice on the counter advising that a £2 charge will be added for card payments as most prefer cash
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:37 pm Many UK businesses charge extra for card payments especially takeaways - They often have a notice on the counter advising that a £2 charge will be added for card payments as most prefer cash
I had retail buisnesses here in Cyprus for over thirty years, and I can tell you , you can not charge extra for payment by card, it is illegal.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

May well be illegal but plenty sellers do it especially as i said in the UK - I have no idea the cost of processing a card payment but seems many do not want to pay it themselves and try to pass the cost on to the customer - Or maybe they don't want card payments full stop and just want cash
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:08 pm May well be illegal but plenty sellers do it especially as i said in the UK - I have no idea the cost of processing a card payment but seems many do not want to pay it themselves and try to pass the cost on to the customer - Or maybe they don't want card payments full stop and just want cash
Ive never come across it in the UK, over here it is illegal, no more no less, if someone is asked to pay extra, simply refuse and report them.

We were paying about one % on sales, in commision hardly nothing, the reason people dont want to take card payments is they can't hide it from the tax man, like you can cash.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Unjustified chargebacks can be a pain with credit cards, and they are more open to abuse.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:37 pm Many UK businesses charge extra for card payments especially takeaways - They often have a notice on the counter advising that a £2 charge will be added for card payments as most prefer cash
Are shops allowed to charge for card payments UK?
Businesses cannot impose any surcharge for using the following methods of payment: consumer credit cards, debit cards or charge cards. similar payment methods that are not card-based (for example, mobile phone-based payment methods) electronic payment services (for example, PayPal
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:14 pm As for refunds, Cyprus may belong to the EU, but I don't believe that they like to abide by EU rules.
In the EU cars are required an MOT after 4 years then every 2 years after that.
The UK requires an MOT after 3 years and every year after that, it has never changed even when part of the EU.
Its a money spinner and proof that the UK only abided to EU laws when it suited.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

And?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:43 am
Firefly wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:14 pm As for refunds, Cyprus may belong to the EU, but I don't believe that they like to abide by EU rules.
In the EU cars are required an MOT after 4 years then every 2 years after that.
The UK requires an MOT after 3 years and every year after that, it has never changed even when part of the EU.
Its a money spinner and proof that the UK only abided to EU laws when it suited.
EU regulations are minimum standards that can be exceeded by member states. In this case, the UK had more stringent rules than the minimum and that was perfectly acceptable. No rules were broken.

For once, I agree with WHL - It's illegal to refuse or charge extra for card payments and any retailers doing so should be reported. For what it's worth, they're also breaking the T&Cs of their payment providers. I haven't seen an example of this in the UK in years, though no doubt it happens. It's definitely more widespread in Cyprus.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I've never been asked to pay more when using a card, but it did happen for the first time yesterday whilst shopping with family in the tourist area of the harbour.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:30 pm I've never been asked to pay more when using a card, but it did happen for the first time yesterday whilst shopping with family in the tourist area of the harbour.
So, what did you do? Did you pay the extra or did you walk away?
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:31 am Uncle D

And?
Your a well known Cyprus basher :lol:
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:44 pm
Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:30 pm I've never been asked to pay more when using a card, but it did happen for the first time yesterday whilst shopping with family in the tourist area of the harbour.
So, what did you do? Did you pay the extra or did you walk away?
The person I was with paid the extra. It was a tiny amount of the purchase price, I was surprised when the assistant mentioned it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

What rubbish, I love Cyprus, but I'm not looking through rose tinted specs, as some do. I have experienced disappointing events, in both the UK and Cyprus.

By the same token are you a UK 'basher' or just a female poster 'basher'? They do exist, unfortunately.