Free Antivirus

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Free Antivirus

Post by Firefly »

My laptop is on its last legs, and my paid for antivirus expires in two days time.

I want to download Avast free antivirus, as there is no point in paying for another years cover now.

Do I wait for the old antivirus to expire completely, before downloading free Avast? And do I need to uninstall the expired one before I download the new?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
J B

Re: Free Antivirus

Post by J B »

Firstly, make sure you check that 'auto renew' is not enabled on your 'paid for' AV
When it's run out, uninstall it

If you have Windows 10 or 11, the built in Windows Defender is perfectly adequate for your needs with an occasional scan with the *free* Malawarebytes
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

J B

Thank you for replying.

I made sure that auto renew was off as soon as I installed it, so no worries there.

I have Windows 11, so do I take it that an antivirus is unnecessary? I do have Glary Utilities, which I run very often anyway.

I will uninstall Norton, and see how we go.

Thanks again for your help.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

From experience you now have to purchase Microsoft 365 subscription plan & Windows Defender is included but was once totally free
I use 365 so in my case worth the money
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you.

Jackie
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

You do not need Microsoft 365 to get Defender. Defender is included with Windows 10 and 11 and I agree with JB, it is an adequate antivirus for home use.
Previously MofArodes on CL
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you for all your replies.