Is this the turning point in the Ukraine war?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I wonder if this is now the turning point in the Ukraine war.

I was watching live on German TV a tennis match when the program was interrupted and a special broadcast took place informing about the latest situation in Russia.

Russian military helicopters opened fire on Saturday afternoon on a convoy of rebel mercenaries from the so called "Wagner Group" already more than half way towards Moscow in a lightning advance after seizing a southern city overnight. (Rostov on Don)

President Vladimir Putin vowed to crush an armed mutiny he compared to Russia's Civil War a century ago.

Fighters from Yevgeny Prigozhin's private Wagner militia were in control of Rostov-on-Don, a city of more than a million people close to the border with Ukraine, and were rapidly advancing northwards through western Russia.

A Reuters journalist saw army helicopters open fire at an armed Wagner column that was advancing past the city of Voronezh with troop carriers and at least one tank on a flatbed truck. The city is more than half way along the 1,100-km (680-mile) highway from Rostov to Moscow.

Prigozhin, whose private army fought the bloodiest battles in Ukraine even as he feuded for months with the top brass, said he had captured the headquarters of Russia's Southern Military District in Rostov after leading his forces into Russia from Ukraine."

more information on here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/wagner-head- ... 37006.html

Max
WHL

Re: Is this the turning point in the Ukraine war?

Post by WHL »

A ragtag bunch of mercenarys might work in a tin pot third world country, but unfortunately i feel it will take a bit mre to unseat Putin
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of the Wagner Group, they have fought in some of the worst fighting seen in this war and not all the Wagner Mercs are recruited convicts - they have fought in conflicts across Africa and the Middle East on behalf of Putin to great effect so not to be dismissed - Putin has ordered soldiers to dig in and be ready to stand and fight - What with !!!! most of Putins army are conscripts and they lack the leadership and weapons currently- I think the only resistance Wagner will see and have see in their advance to Moscow is from the Air and they have already taken out 3 attack choppers en-route - Hopefully this may be the end of Putin and a change of President again hopefully one with a sense of morality that will put at end to this conflict
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What worries me is that if Putin goes what will his final parting shot be?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Let's hope someone gets to him, before he has a chance to make a parting shot.

If not, it could get very nasty I fear.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Well that was short lived - and so the cycle of war continues, makes you wonder what Yevgeny Prigozhin was offered to turn his merc’s round. Strange that Putin firstly fled Moscow then gets The Belarus despot to do his dirty work. Every flight out of Moscow by commercial and private jet was fully booked so at least Putin may not be able to steer the narrative to his favour and this has possibly weakened his position - Hopefully
WHL

Post by WHL »

As I said earlier unfortunately it will take more then a rag bag bunch of mercenarys , to unseat Putin.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

NO!