What is happening in Souskiou?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

What is happening in Souskiou?

Post by Dominic »

The other day I decided to take the scenic route to Kouklia. I drove across the valleys from Episkopi to Fasoula, then up through the abandoned village of Souskiou. This film starts on the approach to Souskiou, and finishes as we reach the summit of the hill above it. While driving through the village we found our route blocked by a bulldozer and lorry, who appeared to be collected old stones from the buildings. We had to take a diversion, and found that the farm there now appeared to have a refreshment van in place. We were wondering if parts of the village are being rebuilt. Does anybody know?

For more information on the village itself, see our article here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/souskiou

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: What is happening in Souskiou?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This is actually a very sad situation. Many tourists interested in abandoned villages will be upset. I wonder if Foinikas is next to be flattened.
Perhaps you should have reported it to the Kouklia Police, however this would have ruined your day....

I would forward part of this video, showing the destruction and the Kiosk to the local Press like PafosPress or PafosLive which are always interested in this kind of things and led them inform the Authorities. (gets you out being in the line of fire)

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thats what I thought
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Interesting,enjoyed that.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Its not unknown for unscrupulous small builders to rob the cut stone from ruined buildings and old walls, and may be illegal if done by unauthorised persons to use on their building project...
Souskiou is situated fairly remotely after all.

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

The last time we visited was around three years ago and we spoke to some guys who were setting up business there offering donkey rides and refreshments. The later part of the film shows that they are also planting up areas to grow fruit (apparently) maybe for sale.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

That chap wasn’t user friendly

I thought I might be totally barking up the wrong tree or barking mad that these abandoned villages fell under some Treaty Act
that was drawn up at the time after the invasion. It’s not what you expect to come across in an area of natural beauty