Water dispenser conundrum

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Water dispenser conundrum

Post by MacManiac »

Like many people we have been trying to reduce our use of plastic. Plastic bags are reused, and we have mesh bags for vegetables which we take to the supermarket. But, still, we end up with mountains of one and a half litre water bottles. Our domestic water supply upsets my equilibrium, and so we have to buy bottled water.

We have considered a water dispenser but the weight of the bottles would not delight my cardiologist.

As we live in a rented property we cannot have something plumbed in.

My question is whether we are missing the obvious solution or are we condemned to buying plastic water bottles?
Uncle D

Re: Water dispenser conundrum

Post by Uncle D »

Has your fresh water got a filter fitted?
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have a water dispenser, and find it very convenient. You can buy plastic water containers for 20ltrs, but also smaller ones of 15 or 10 litres. Obviously the 10 litre container is much lighter. Would that make a difference to you?
If you could manage to lift the lightest one, it would dramatically reduce the number of plastic bottle which are a nuisance to store prior to getting them re cycled.
That also releases space in the fridge!
Alternatively, maybe you have a stronger, helpful neighbour who might help you, if asked nicely?
Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:03 pm Has your fresh water got a filter fitted?
I very much doubt it.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Kili01 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:19 pm I have a water dispenser, and find it very convenient. You can buy plastic water containers for 20ltrs, but also smaller ones of 15 or 10 litres. Obviously the 10 litre container is much lighter. Would that make a difference to you?
If you could manage to lift the lightest one, it would dramatically reduce the number of plastic bottle which are a nuisance to store prior to getting them re cycled.
That also releases space in the fridge!
Alternatively, maybe you have a stronger, helpful neighbour who might help you, if asked nicely?
Dee
I didn’t realise the water containers were available in smaller sizes. I’ll investigate that. We love living where we do because we have no neighbours at all.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I've just bought a water bottle with filter attached, filter is replaced every 6 months. It sits on top of regular cooler and you fill from tap, with a jug. it holds 7ltrs. They are available at Paphos Home Market and cost I think €39 with replacement filters costing around €16. Might be an option for you?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

MacManiac wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:40 pm
Uncle D wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:03 pm Has your fresh water got a filter fitted?
I very much doubt it.
You can get one fitted usually around the meter area, all water coming into your property would be filtered.

https://www.superhome.com.cy/english/pr ... -filtering
Last edited by Uncle D on Sun May 21, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hi we bought a water dispenser where the bottle fits in the bottom, no need to lift heavy bottles, around 150 e

This is the sort of thing
https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/product ... ers/361969
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks for all the comments. Much food for thought.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Why can’t you have something plumbed in? We have a filtration system (from Q-Water) which is under the sink and connects to a 3 way tap. If you move tp another rented property, you just reconnect the existing feed and take the filtration system with you.

Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Jimgym wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:03 pm I've just bought a water bottle with filter attached, filter is replaced every 6 months. It sits on top of regular cooler and you fill from tap, with a jug. it holds 7ltrs. They are available at Paphos Home Market and cost I think €39 with replacement filters costing around €16. Might be an option for you?
I have a similar system called UNIC which I bought from Superhome. See link below

https://www.superhome.com.cy/english/pr ... er-kit-18l

I use approx 6-8 litres of tap water minimum on a daily basis - more in the summer months
As the municipal water supply is good quality the filter lasts approx 10-12 months.