Fish n Chips with mushy peas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Fish n Chips with mushy peas

Post by Lincoln »

I always used to have my Friday Fish n Chips in Chloraka when we lived there. Now we live over in Polis. So decided to try the Stone Lion Restaurant as they advertised there Fish n Chips. It was DELICIOUS, most enjoyable. make sure that you are hungry before eating there as the portions are large. It was quite busy.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Fish n Chips with mushy peas

Post by Dominic »

Never understood the mushy peas thing.

Pantelis do a good fish and chips. Well they used to. They changed hands again recently so don't know what they are like now.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:23 pm Never understood the mushy peas thing.

Pantelis do a good fish and chips. Well they used to. They changed hands again recently so don't know what they are like now.
Regards Mushy peas, Its a northern thing, down souff it was unheard of when I was kid.
Last edited by WHL on Fri May 12, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Brought up on Jellied Eels That's Why - You can't put them on chips
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that before we all had fridges it was hard to store peas, so they were either tinned or dried, known as split peas, the split peas needed rehydrating and the mushy pea was born, in the north it was popular to have split peas cooked in a pot with a ham shank, that's where pea and ham soup came from.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:56 am I think that before we all had fridges it was hard to store peas, so they were either tinned or dried, known as split peas, the split peas needed rehydrating and the mushy pea was born, in the north it was popular to have split peas cooked in a pot with a ham shank, that's where pea and ham soup came from.
We have dutch family, and when we are over in Holland are often served pea and ham soup, they claim it is dutch.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I expect most countries have their version, they may of had the same idea of a way to use dried split peas.
Tinned garden peas just don't work.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:59 am I expect most countries have their version, they may of had the same idea of a way to use dried split peas.
Tinned garden peas just don't work.
You are probably correct, I just googled it and it said it was a stable for sailors, it makes sense, but suprisingly, they give it to ancient Greece,

People also ask
Where was pea soup invented?
Where did pea and ham soup originate?
At the time of its origins – some sources put them as far back as ancient Greece – the soup was testament to the scarcity of resources in the colder months. With little fresh produce available, the only option was dried legumes and salted meats, in this case split peas and smoked or salt pork.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

A bit like Scouse then
Scouse (lobskause) was brought to the city by sailors from Scandinavia. People outside of Liverpool when visiting sampled and enjoyed the dish that it was vary popular in and outside of Liverpool so much so that outsiders nicknamed the people of Liverpool scousers after the dish.
David
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

[/quote]

We have dutch family, and when we are over in Holland are often served pea and ham soup, they claim it is dutch.
[/quote]

Is it made from a chicken though?

trireme

Post by trireme »

I went over the top yesterday, had mushy pea fritters, followed by line caught haddock and chips, was yummy, I should add I was dining in Colmans Seafood Temple at South Shields.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trireme wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 am I went over the top yesterday, had mushy pea fritters, followed by line caught haddock and chips, was yummy, I should add I was dining in Colmans Seafood Temple at South Shields.
Sounds yummy, excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between line caught and net caught haddock, and do they taste any different?
trireme

Post by trireme »

Line caught haddock is much better tasting than fish that has been caught in a trawl net, the trawled fish has been dragged through the water within the net, thus effectively half " drowning " it, this tends to render the flesh soggy, the line caught species flesh is much firmer and flaky.
poolriver

Post by poolriver »

Lincoln wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:29 pm I always used to have my Friday Fish n Chips in Chloraka when we lived there. Now we live over in Polis. So decided to try the Stone Lion Restaurant as they advertised there Fish n Chips. It was DELICIOUS, most enjoyable. make sure that you are hungry before eating there as the portions are large. It was quite busy.
I couldn't agree more. Go there on a regular basis the menu and specials board is a really good quality as well.